Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did some research and spoke to a few people today and learned alot.

The first person I spoke with was Ron Shaver of Shaver Specialties, they were one of the shops that did development work for GM's EcoTec race program. Ron was nice enough to take time to talk about the LSJ. He had very good things to say about the way the LSJ is built in regards to bottom end parts noting the short block is capable of way beyond what it is probucing now. While he didn't have specifics on the electronics that I was looking for he was kind enough to give the number to a guy at GM that works in the EcoTec race program.

I am not going to put his name in here because I honestly didn't ask him if I could so he will be known as Mr. GM.

I spoke with Mr. GM on the phone for quite a while and learned some good and bad things.

First the good. He was able to confirm what Ron had told me in regards to the bottom end. All of the parts from crank to pods to pistons are of very good quality and should be able to support hp numbers reaching the 300 to 350 range with ease. He also said the crank and block are capable of supporting VERY high numbers reaching the 700 range. Many praises on GM's part here.

The not so good part is the electronics side. GM is using a 2 bar MAP sensor on this car, wich means the ECM can only see boost levels up to 14.7 psi. Anything beyond this and the ECM is blind in regards to manifold pressure. The twist is it can still see metered air because the MAF sensor from what I can tell by taking voltage measurements, but the MAF is near its metering capacity as it sits in stock form.

This basicly means we are stuck with 14.7 psi for the time being with the stock set up. Again, anything beyond this and the computer dosen't have a clue what is going on.

The second is the fuel system. I spoke to another person I know that is farmilliar with injector sizes and he believed as Adam from ScDyne did that the injectors are 370cc or 36 pound injectors. This means also that the injectors are near maxed out and with the returnless style system have little hope for hp numbers to far past wnat we are seing now. This also kind of fits what I have heard people have posted in regards to Psi-Fi having there test mule lean out after turning up the wick.

Kind of disheartning news on the computer control and fuel end but nothing that cant be taken care of with a little aftermarket ad on.

Here's some more good though! Something that I have great intrest in was that Mr. GM had said they were working on product development and will have a follow up version of the EcoTec hand book available eventually that will go through and highlight many parts that they are going to be making available for the engine and chassis platform in the future (he didn't give me a time line on this though). He was very aware of the wheel hop issue we have (and the Cobalt SS will ahve) and said that there are going to be products available to cure this and also to improve chassis rigidity. He noted specificly that the rear bushing on the A arm is the item that contributes most to this and noted that they have used spherical bearings along with adjustable coil overs to cure this and improve the launch.

Another thing we talked about was the usage of aftermarket EMU's for engine control. He has said that they were using AEM's EMU for engine control. Apparently there software is capable of interfacing with the crank sensor and cam position sensor and dose a nice jub of engine control. The draw back to this is you loose function of items like the speedo, tach and basicly all dash gauges but did say that the BCM can opperate seprately from the ECM. The other thing that is lost is control of the ABS, wich is controlled through the ECM as well.

So, keep heart all. It will not be long before there are fuel system and ECM upgrades available that will be able to take us to horse power bliss. Give it some time. ;)

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
good job with the research, it's nice to see GM proving to have some sort of motivation in backing their product, and am excited as anyone else to see the aftermarket follow suit, keep it up GM

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Great job, M&M! Mission accomplished! ;) Kudos to all of you guys who are bringing us answers instead of guesses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts