Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Since it is a closed system, the thermodynmic properties of the fluid do not change. No matter how much pressure or how fast you move it. There seems to be this impression if you circilate it faster it will dissipate heat faster. Not true, in fact it is much more about volume than flow. What changed it the ability to ADD HEAT, or TAKE HEAT OUT. Simple as that. In a perfect world, you would be able to dissiapate the heat 100% before sending it back in, but it ain't happenin. In fact, the faster you circulate the coolent, the WORSE off you are because you better have one hell of a way of cooling it quick. Like everything else its a careful balance.
Ok thanks Mikey, a careful balance needed is 100% true. A couple of issues to add after talking to my two experts (their names cannot be revealed:rofl: :): 1. the air flow here ius something like 200 grams /second, and the engine every 720 degrees is sucking inlet air into a cylinder, and the inlet air is taking its roundabout route losing heat, before it gets sucked in, and this means that the differential of charge air density that Witt is concerned about is not an issue...just reduce the heat bubba!
2. due to heat build up from the supercharger as the inlet air is pressurized, the air is not uniformly hot when it passes over the laminova cores, so if you think about it, the hottest air is passing over the coolest part of the laminova core, and soon.

Of course, you should know that the elves up here are thinking all the time. Tim says that there are further iterations that up here we have not even addressed, he calls them versions 9 and 10, like 2 pumps in series, or two pumps per pair of cores, because it doesnt matter.

At the end of the day simply reducing inlet air temp with the single pass is enough. It works. :)

The egt is a non issue. But I will still measure it ,for witt, sometime soon.

As for fuel distribution lets not confuse the laminova story with fuel issues. There may be issues at the lower end of the rev band, but my guess is that does not impact single pass charge air cooling, and OTTP have an excellent fuel system mod that will help you that is very well priced. :thinkerg:

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Not to bust your bubble here Ralli but we have already covered this topic pretty throughly earlier this year. Anyone who followed this thread is well informed of the LSJ Stock AFTERCOOLER system and the benefits of a dual pass and single pass IM.

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/performance-modifications/32935-has-anyone-considered.html

I think your IM is pretty cool. (Get it?) lol I wish I had one.

I have heard that GM did some testing on one and it was determined that their was not enough gains to warrent a single pass IM over a dual pass.

But I would assume that was based on Stage 2 and Stage 3 power/heat levels. I am sure there are more significant gains to be had with the smaller pullies that most people run.

I would consider the single pass IM an excellent supporting mod. Its not going make a lot of hp all by itself but it will definalty help support higher numbers.
Ebristol we are discussing single pass and then Witt has challenged the effect of charge air density on egt temps as a reason not to do single pass. The GM testing I worked with did not support single pass too much money too difficult to make. Dual pass with Option B rocks for most people. But if you are crazy and drag racing then single pass is a big help. Hatrickstus ice reservoir helps as well, altho I dont use this mod, for my application sticking ice in a box is too much trouble. Heck filling the meth bucket in my trunk is already a PITA.

Read the thread and jave fun! Everyone here I hope understands its not about getting more power its about not losing what you got. And in that, Ralli and myself have succeeded and you can succeed too. email OTTP, Josh...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
you are all smart people...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Having finally looked over the stock IC system, the only thing I'll add to this relatively old thread is this:

With a single pass cooling setup, you MUST reject more heat at the heat exchanger than you pick up at the laminovas. As long as you have the equation tipped in your favor, the single pass is superior in all practical ways.

The largest gain from the single pass, is the constant supply of fresh, cool fluid. By the time the stock quad pass makes its way (never mind the flow reduction of turning the coolant 180 degrees 3 times) through the cores, you've got no heat capacity left in the coolant.

Heat transfer rate increases, the larger the delta of temperature. Therefore, coolest fluid possible needs to be in touch with the incoming air charge at all times :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why did GM sandwich the intercooler radiator between the A/C and engine radiator? I notice as my engine coolant temps climb, the temp of my IC radiator also climbs because of the radiator mounted right next to it. Turning the fans on high does HELP, this was definitely a quick (and effective) mod everyone should do.

I have a large radiator on its way (to fit down on the bumper,) but now I wonder if I should bypass the stock one and/or move it to the front. Has anyone done this and collected data?

I am running a 2.8 with the stock setup and this is temporary. I had 2 intake manifolds with stuck laminovas before, due to heatsoak and air pockets, so I am putting off the dual-pass mod, and will log the data, I may NEED to do this in the future. My meth/water injection helps but it is not a fix-all.

·
Super Moderator
1,673 Posts
There is a thread somewhere about moving the heat exchanger to the front alone dropping iat2s around 15 degrees. On a bone stock car. Along with modified cars giving equal value.
Dual pass will be worth it. Especially if youre running a 2.8 pulley

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Another option we used to do with methanol injection was spray directly into the intake manifold. We would weld a bung directly to the front on the intake manifold directly at the laminova cores. You can get away with a 5gph nozzle, though a 3 would be better to avoid pooling at the bottom of the manifold. Going the traditional route via the intake tube, or throttle body spacer you can use a larger nozzle because the blower does a very good job of dissipating the fluid. Temps through the intake manifold would be sub ambient on cooler days, and work tremendously well with little to no other intercooling options. Mind you this was a better part of 10 years ago when we did this last, not sure how much different the LSJ stuff is now-a-days.

·
Super Moderator
1,673 Posts
Thats even before my time here. Going right at the cores is a good idea 🤔

41 - 48 of 48 Posts