Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and I have a 2004 ion RL. For now small mods of ZZP 3" cold air intake and 2.5" cat back with magnaflow muffler. The car has roughly 130,000 miles and I'm running into a big issue. Doesn't matter if I'm in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd if I punch the gas the car starts to accelerate then throws itself into limp mode and the engine light comes on. I turn the car off, wait for 5 minutes then turn it back on and it's fine, the limp mode light goes away but the check engine light stays on for a couple days before it goes away. I replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the throttle body and it was good for a week and now is doing it again. I have the stage 2 kit on it's way and would love to have this fixed before I add more power to the car. Anyone have any ideas? I searched the forum forever and couldn't find any answers.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Well my first step would be to access a code reader to find out exactly what codes it's giving. You can get them read for free at most auto parts stores. Get that info and then report back and we can probably help from there. To my knowledge there's no common known problem with those symptoms.

Ben

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be off work in 2 hours and I'll get the codes read and posted up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I got the codes, and there a lot of them.
P0068 MAF/TPS, P0171 Self clear, P0121 TPS, P0641, P2138 TPS voltage, P2135, P0103 MAF, P0341 Cam sensor intermittent, P0507 IAC intermittent. The guy at advance auto parts thinks my computer is shot. The car runs fine as long as I don't accelerate too hard. But once I put a little umph into it, limp mode activates.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Additional note is that I replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the throttle body. The tips of the plugs looked burnt bad and the throttle body was really dirty. After I did those a few weeks ago it was driving fine and then all went to crap and it goes into limp when I accelerate a little hard. Semi mild acceleration it seems fine but once I start pushing it, limp mode activates.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
are they stock heat range plugs?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the best platinum tip with a gap that advanced auto had

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
why? why go with platinum plugs? forced induction motors tend to blow the spark out from those tiny tipped plugs AND melt them. you should go with either iridium or the copper ngk plugs.
I use the NGK V-power coppers, you'll have to change them more often (6mo-1yr for "normal" drivers) but they're way cheap and work great.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered the zzp stage 2 kit so I'll have the correct spark plugs and new PCM so I'm hoping that that may fix the problem. Could it be something else?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
you SHOULD fix this issue before installing that. also, check to make sure everything is securely plugged in at these sensors. check your grounds too. silicone paste is your friend.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll check the grounds. I'm hoping it's something easy. But why would it throw so many codes?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll check the grounds, hopefully it's something easy. But what could throw all those codes?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
with these newfangled cars, one bad ground can mean the difference between smooth operation and running like a bag of hammered assholes. I'm not saying that it is 100% the grounds fault (get it? lol) that's causing this, but it's worth checking regardless.

·
I'm hungry
6,735 Posts
also just for shits and giggles check your intake... 100% sure it has nothing to do with any of that, but if your throttle body is really dirty chances are it got disconnected some where... it happens a lot to intakes on these cars other than stock..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great news!!! The tube connecting into the throttle body wasn't pushed all the way in. Pushed it in till I heard a click and checked all the other connectors and now I can redline with every shift and no LIMP MODE!!!! So one tube threw all those codes??

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
its all that newfangled technology. lol, at least you didnt have to trace grounds all day!
those evaporative emissions are mucho importante for "moar powah."

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So false hope.... Was working fine then I hit on it In first and BAM! Limp mode again :( I checked all the sensors. There all plugged in... I have no clue what to do next.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
did you bounce off your rev limiter? hows that wheel hop treating you?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Slight wheel hop not much though and I only made it to 4500 rpm before limp mode kicked in.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts