Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Of the different ecotec engines, the 2.4L LE5 has the shortest rod, followed by the 2.2L L61, then the 2.0L LNF, and finally the longest ecotec rod is in the 2.0L LSJ.

So, to build a longer rod motor, would require a completely custom rod.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
how do you figure the 2.0 has the longest rod

5.765 is the 2.2 rod length pin diameter is 20 mm
5.728 is the lsj rond length pin diameter is 23 mm

you could use an eagle rod for the 2.2 and a 2.2 forged piston from diamond
and have a kick ass set of rods alot cheaper then whats out there right now for the lsj not to mention the added benifit the longer rod will give us
like less stress on the cylnder walls due to the piston will travel straighter in the bore
less stress on the piston skirt lbecause it will travel straighter in the bore
less stress on the cranck because you decrease rod angle
you slow the piston speed down
it will also give the engine the ability to rev faster and higher due to all the above

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you figure it doesn't? The shorter the stroke, the longer the rod, assuming we're talking about the same engine family, anyway.
same engine family but they use different comp heights and pin locations hence the shorter rod in the 2.0

read above i added more info

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Well I'll be damned, I had somehow listed the L61, 2.2L as having a 5.67" rod, instead of 5.76" My mistake. Regardless, we are talking about thirty-nine (Using Crower's listed 5.767" length) thousandths of an inch in length difference. That's pretty much insignificant. While I could see why if you were replacing the rods anyway, you might go with the slightly longer rod, if you weren't planning on replacing the rods, it's hardly worth the bother. And the stock LSJ rod is pretty strong to begin with. The other issue is that you'd still not want to use a rod setup for the 2.2L's Pin size, as that would partially negate what you're trying to accomplish. Both Crower and Pauter have the ability to make such a rod quite easily. I, personally, would shy VERY far away from putting any eagle product in my Ion.

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts

and have a kick ass set of rods alot cheaper then whats out there right now for the lsj not to mention the added benifit the longer rod will give us
like less stress on the cylnder walls due to the piston will travel straighter in the bore
it will also give the engine the ability to rev faster and higher due to all the above
Sounds like a great idea. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the stock lsj is ok but only rated to 300 hp and not everyone has 800 bucks to shell out for better rods eagle rods are good rods ive ran them for years the 2.2 rod is rated to 900 hp and the pin size isent that big of a deal the stock pin for the lsj is only 3mm bigger but gm dosent use that great of material in stock shit so the eagle pin at 20mm is stronger then the stock 23mm lsj pin not to mention the weight loss between the 2 rods the eagle 2.2 rod is stronger and lighter then a stock lsj rod and if 3 mm gonna make that big of a difference they wouldent be running a 20mm pin in 1400 hp 2.2 ecotec

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a great idea. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
thats the plan i also thought it would be a good way for budget builders to get a better rod then stock

plus i thought it would be a good thing for discussion and education for all

·
Registered
578 Posts

this is some good info. so less stress on sleeves, pistons and rods will give the engine ability to rev higher?

·
16,889 Posts
the stock lsj is ok but only rated to 300 hp and not everyone has 800 bucks to shell out for better rods
The stock LSJ rods are rated to 300hp using the M62 as the primary power adder. Basically the entire LSJ long block could be rated at 300whp with the M62 because that is all the hp it can make. A few have gone it a little higher with just the M62 but it is very rare.

The reality is, that turbo converts have pushed to stock LSJ rods to +500hp with out problems. The entire LSJ long block is good for over 400hp with a turbo and a good tune.

The weak points in the LSJ using the M62 are as follows:

Pistons - 290-300whp
Sleeves - 315-325whp
Rods - ??? I don't think anyone has pushed the LSJ that far on forged pistons and sleeves to find out.

On a turbo and a good tune:

Pistons - 450whp
Sleeves - 500whp?
Rods - ??? Again. No one has really pushed them that hard to get them to fail.

thats the plan i also thought it would be a good way for budget builders to get a better rod then stock
I like your idea but I think you are headed down the wrong path. The rods in the LSJ really are not the issue.

You would be better off spending your energy trying to find an expensive way to increase the displacement of the LSJ.

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/performance-modifications/44017-diy-2-3l-stroker.html

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/performance-modifications/41834-zzp-full-build-m62-redline-stats.html

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the only inexpensive way to increase the cubic in is to weld up the rod journals and offset grind them ti increase the displacement ive run a couple of offset ground cranks in bb mopar with good success im not arduing that the lsj rod isent a good rod it is but if you can get a lighter rotaring assembly and less stress on the crank the bore and pistons and this would give the ability to make more hp and tq and make it more efficiant and add longevity to your engine

·
16,889 Posts
the only inexpensive way to increase the cubic in is to weld up the rod journals and offset grind them ti increase the displacement ive run a couple of offset ground cranks in bb mopar with good success
What about the 2.4L LE5 crank?

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/problems-troubleshooting/30322-2-4-ecotec-le5-lsj-road.html

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/performance-modifications/22850-official-fullthrottle-build-thread.html

im not arduing that the lsj rod isent a good rod it is but if you can get a lighter rotaring assembly and less stress on the crank the bore and pistons and this would give the ability to make more hp and tq and make it more efficiant and add longevity to your engine
Agreed. But the differences you are proposing will have minimal differences is most people's engines. I guess it sort of depends what the final price tag is and the gains.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
the stock lsj is ok but only rated to 300 hp and not everyone has 800 bucks to shell out for better rods eagle rods are good rods ive ran them for years the 2.2 rod is rated to 900 hp and the pin size isent that big of a deal the stock pin for the lsj is only 3mm bigger but gm dosent use that great of material in stock shit so the eagle pin at 20mm is stronger then the stock 23mm lsj pin not to mention the weight loss between the 2 rods the eagle 2.2 rod is stronger and lighter then a stock lsj rod and if 3 mm gonna make that big of a difference they wouldent be running a 20mm pin in 1400 hp 2.2 ecotec
Last I knew, GM didn't make a 1400 2.2L, they made a 1400 horsepower 2.0L. So, I don't believe that the engine does have a 20mm pin.

Regardless, if you think 3mm doesn't make a different in the diameter of a pin, I can guarantee you that <3mm makes even less different in the length of a rod. (.040" is ~1mm, actually)

Agreed. But the differences you are proposing will have minimal differences is most people's engines. I guess it sort of depends what the final price tag is and the gains.
I think lightening up the rotating assembly is a great idea, but, to do anything significant there, you'd need a different material...

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The 1400 hp ecotec IS a 2.2 and is in a drag car, the drivers name escapes me right now

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think lightening up the rotating assembly is a great idea, but, to do anything significant there, you'd need a different material...
i dont think a different material a different rod and i think we can do it with the 2.2 aftermarket rod with all the added befifits of what a longer rod will give us and you go up to a 22mm pin at 700 hp so i dont think that a 20 mm pin is going to hurt us

1 - 20 of 160 Posts