Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need some good suggestions on new tires... I can't stand it anymore.... the ones from the factory although mega cash to replace are great in warm weather they are literally scary as hell in the rain I have never had a tire scare me like this.... I used to think it was the car but everyone I have talked to with LSD on their SKY's have all said the same thing.....

The tires now only have 26K on them and they are in beyond great shape but like I said I'm scared to death to drive when it's raining with them....even with the LSD I have slid and stayed on top of water just scary crazy.

Right Now I have on there....

The tire is a Goodyear Eagle P245/45 R18 Eagle R-SA

Thanks Guys!!!! Oh I do want to stick with the same size for the rims now I really like I ordered with the car.

Oh also, my club I am in we are doing the AutoX track in town some so I was thinking using the tires I have now for that.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
for great wet grip i recommend goodyear eagle f1 gs-d3

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
for great wet grip i recommend goodyear eagle f1 gs-d3
great wet tire, bad dry tire.

well let me rephrase. The goodyear f1 gs-d3 is an awesome highway and daily driving tire. It's the set i run on my silver rims during the summer.

If you're looking for something with a shitload of grip get the dunlop direzza Z1 star specs. I've autox wet and dry in them and they hold laterally way better the the goodyears.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tire I have now is great dry and all 4 are in awesome shape for the AutoX I am just using those and going to.....

But anytime it gets remotely wet out the car is horrible and it's not just me being a girl some great drivers have driven her and said OMG the same thing even with her LSD working.

SO I am looking for a great tire that is good in wet conditions and in dry... but this wet stuff is really important!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
nitto neogens

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
great wet tire, bad dry tire.

well let me rephrase. The goodyear f1 gs-d3 is an awesome highway and daily driving tire. It's the set i run on my silver rims during the summer.

If you're looking for something with a shitload of grip get the dunlop direzza Z1 star specs. I've autox wet and dry in them and they hold laterally way better the the goodyears.
would you recommend them over the f1's as a DD tire where it rains a fair amount?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
honestly.... i wish i had bought 2 sets of direzza z1 star specs....

·
Registered
776 Posts
honestly.... i wish i had bought 2 sets of direzza z1 star specs....
Ziggi those tires better be good because I have a set sitting in the bedroom waiting to go on mine soon from your recommendation :)

54,500 miles on stock rubber!!!!

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
after looking at tirerack's reviews, i think i'm pretty happy with the eagle f1 gs-d3's. they're pretty close except for wet stopping...and for some reason i don't believe the Z1's number is quite right, especially compared to others in its own test. i personally can't justify the 200 treadwear.

it does look like an awesome tire though.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It's funny to drive the car from the 16" all seasons on black steel rims to the goodyear's on the silver 17's to the dunlops on the white 17's is amazing. The goodyears really are good wet and straight line accelration, but the you can noticibly feel the difference in the transitions on lateral g's. the direzza's are very responsive when you're making quick adjustments and getting setup into turns, while the goodyears hold just as well in the turns, the setup into turns feels a little bit sloppy.

the 16's are just terrible compared to the other two all the way around but actually do pretty well in the snow.

For the record.

16's - Kumho Ecsta ASX all seasons 195/65r16
17's - Goodyear f1 Gs-D3 Summer 225/45r17
17's - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec 21/45r17

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Ziggi those tires better be good because I have a set sitting in the bedroom waiting to go on mine soon from your recommendation :)

54,500 miles on stock rubber!!!!
About damn time grandma

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The Star Spec is a freak - there's no way a summer max performance tire should do that in the wet. But they do - I've driven them. Still, if her RS-A's are giving her that much trouble, I'm not sure I'd recommend the Star Specs. Remember she's in a Sky RL - similar weight to the IRL, but with wider tires driven on the LIGHT end of the car.

The S-Drive or KDW's may very well be a superior choice for daily driving. The Good Years are also a maybe in my book - again, wider, on the lighter end of the car, in a car with may more torque than the Ion.

If you decide to get serious about autocross though, and stay on steets DEFINATELY get teh Star Specs. Amazing tires. Actually, your mods already put you in street modified, nevermind, lol - if you get serious about autocross, get R-compounds, cuz in your class you won't be competitive without them.

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
The KDW2's are really good and don't let the price on that link scare you. If you got a Costco around you, we got some 225/45R17's right now for like $135 plus $15 installation per tire. Believe me. They're worth it. Not to mention the tread pattern looks sick.:facelick:
But they're noisy fuggers.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
The Star Spec is a freak - there's no way a summer max performance tire should do that in the wet. But they do - I've driven them. Still, if her RS-A's are giving her that much trouble, I'm not sure I'd recommend the Star Specs. Remember she's in a Sky RL - similar weight to the IRL, but with wider tires driven on the LIGHT end of the car.

The S-Drive or KDW's may very well be a superior choice for daily driving. The Good Years are also a maybe in my book - again, wider, on the lighter end of the car, in a car with may more torque than the Ion.

If you decide to get serious about autocross though, and stay on steets DEFINATELY get teh Star Specs. Amazing tires. Actually, your mods already put you in street modified, nevermind, lol - if you get serious about autocross, get R-compounds, cuz in your class you won't be competitive without them.
i'm confused, why would a stickier tire be worse on her car for DD? i mean, yeah the treadwear is lower, but i don't understand your wider tire/RWD reasoning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the Yokohama s.drives and they have exelent grip in everything exept snow. Even a little and you are screwed. Other than that I would buy the yokos.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts