Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know thiers always gonna be the srt/rl/ss debates, but I really think the srt only has the rl and ss beat because its been out longer. I mean 205hp and 200lbs of torque out of a 2.0? I remember when my 91 DSM was stock at those exact same specs out of a 2.0. 15 years later and the thing makes 400hp and 438lbs of torque at the crank, with all stock internals and boost set at 16psi. The future looks very good for the redlines and ss's, seeing as they already are looking at a 270hp version from the factory only a year after release.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
You have to remember that the DSM is turbo. Were supercharged. You can hit 400hp mark on a DSM easily because of the turbocharger. Look how many 400hp 2.0L you see. Evo's 4g63T 2.0L, DSM 4g63T 2.0L, Sr20det bluebird s13,s14,s15 2.0L, 3sgte 2.0L turbo's there is more but what im saying is look there are hundrends of 2.0L 400hp+ turbo cars and they get there easily. Superchargered is a way different story.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Do some reading on building up an Ecotec engine. A 140 HP stocker wont fly apart until 475 HP and then it is a rod & piston issue. No wonder, the stock rods are powder pressed iron and the pistons are cast. Swap out forged rods and pistons and that lil' puppy will go on up- to 600+ hp. To go to the 800 HP + levels a block girdle is used and I think it is re-sleeved, but not sure. I do know that the High HP engines use the stock Block, Crank, & head.
I see no reason why we can not see 500 HP in street motors out of this little baby.

Sure these are turbo engine figures, but put a large enough blower on an engine and HP will follow. What severely limits us is the computer control of the whole engine system. Figure out a way to re-flash an ECU with the proper info to handle a HUGE eaton blower, and I GUARANTEE you would see 500 HP. We took a 500 Hp big block chevy and put on a 10-71 GMC blower on it over driven by 40% and made 1000 HP. It was easy to do because of no computer to deal with. Nothing makes power like a big blower raming the fuel mix down the throat of your engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the rods in a stock eco WILL NOT withstand 475 hp. the crap out at about 283hp.

·
Registered
674 Posts
redd214 said:
:confused: :rolleyes:

Sure it is not 283.5 hp?

Might want to do some research before you post..... :rolleyes:

They will take more than the 280 range....

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ive heard of the 2.2 going to 285. Havnt heard anything about the new ones.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
remember the 2.0 does not have normal internals. Read the crappy brochure you see oil cooled pistons and so forth. There are some damn good parts in there. 280 is low im lookin at 380 before I worry about anything in there. And even then Im worried about the tranny not the motor.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
goofyguy said:
remember the 2.0 does not have normal internals. Read the crappy brochure you see oil cooled pistons and so forth. There are some damn good parts in there. 280 is low im lookin at 380 before I worry about anything in there. And even then Im worried about the tranny not the motor.

Ditto..dot ..dot

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
redd214 said:
I will be scrambling at work to try to find the article in the 2.2 Ecotec that states the GM big bosses told the performance division that they needed something to beat the Hondas at the drags and to see what they could come up with. The came back with the 2.2 Ecotec was a perfect design for a race engine. Big bosses told them to put the wood to it and see what she had. The stock 2.2 Ecotec took an internal dump at 450+ HP, I never said it would WITHSTAND 475 HP, but that at that HP level GM experienced internal engine failure so you are correct, it did not withstand it. And As I stated, it was good up to that point, and your 283 HP crap out is wrong. There are handfulls of Turbo Eco's running around in the 300+ HP range and they are not crapping out all over the highways & byways. I did not say that it was a livable street engine at 400+ HP, but that a stock engine made it to that level before taking a dump. This was all done in the name of performance research. New rods and pistons DID cure the internal failure problem. And I think right now on the Cobalt forum, there is a post that contains a GM representative stating that their 1000 HP engine consists of a stock block, crank, block girdle, head and timing chain with all other parts being non stock. He is very proud that much of an Eco engine is used to generate that amount of HP. It is the small block Chevy of the new millennia .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts