Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching to no avail,

Got in the car this morning, turned on the radio and I didn't have any Bass. I have the 6 disc stock Redline radio, Front/Rear, and Left/Right speakers all change when adjusted, but no bass. Hard to imagine I blew out anything. Previous owner had an aftermarket unit, and rear speakers installed, but switched back when I purchased it.

Any Ideas on where to start looking?

TIA

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Tried searching to no avail,

Got in the car this morning, turned on the radio and I didn't have any Bass. I have the 6 disc stock Redline radio, Front/Rear, and Left/Right speakers all change when adjusted, but no bass. Hard to imagine I blew out anything. Previous owner had an aftermarket unit, and rear speakers installed, but switched back when I purchased it.

Any Ideas on where to start looking?

TIA

From what I heard is that from being old the speakers get hard and don't allow the normal frequencies that are bass. My IRL speakers lose volume and bass as some as the temperature goes down to about 65 - 70F

When it is warmer my stereo system is like new - Loud and concert like.

Also, the advanced sound system must get messed up with the loudness from the exhaust. I think that this is what has contributed to the volume decrease because when the engine gets hotter and therefore louder exhaust notes, there seems to be a associated decrease in the stereo system volume on my IRL,.

Not sure but having a 15+ year old system , the advanced audio system does not recognize the difference between the exhaust and stereo speakers anymore.

It's probably several things that are at play with it.

I am trying to find a professional place to install a new system.

Please list any experiences it could help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1Redline
That sounds like exactly what I am experiencing. Temp in the morning was around 38, and later it was in the sun and the temp was near 60. It was working fine fatuity warmed up. Makes perfect sense. I’ve never had old speakers do that though. It sits in the garage all winter, so I plan on at least upgrading the rear speakers first and going from there. I do want a better stereo unit, but I like the Original look of stock too.
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
It's quite frustrating when the system/volume is working and the speakers are working as they should and then the volume goes down seem like always at the best part of the song.

I quess that this is the advanced audio control that could be a protective feature for the the system and/or for the human ears.

Preventing hearing loss could be the reason that the volume cuts out on this system.

I know from driving this car that my ears go a little numb from the exhaust volume.

Can we go up in WATTS on these speakers with the current stock setup?

Plug and play for say 50 - 100 watt rear speakers ? I think they are about 25 watts in the rear speakers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's quite frustrating when the system/volume is working and the speakers are working as they should and then the volume goes down seem like always at the best part of the song.

I quess that this is the advanced audio control that could be a protective feature for the the system and/or for the human ears.

Preventing hearing loss could be the reason that the volume cuts out on this system.

I know from driving this car that my ears go a little numb from the exhaust volume.

Can we go up in WATTS on these speakers with the current stock setup?

Plug and play for say 50 - 100 watt rear speakers ? I think they are about 25 watts in the rear speakers.
Yeah, even when they working, they are small and underpowered, I think it’s compara to my old 86 Cutlass Delco system. I remember upgrading to 5x9 Pioneers in the back and it was worlds better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts