Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on lowering my Redline 2 inches when I get it. Has anyone here lowered their RL and if so how much. Pics would be nice........Thanks

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
you are not gonna be able to lower it 2 inches but close, man a search can go a long way, try searching for lowering, sprint springs, anything like that and u will find what u are looking for

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
navymitch12 said:
you are not gonna be able to lower it 2 inches but close, man a search can go a long way, try searching for lowering, sprint springs, anything like that and u will find what u are looking for
Thanks...............

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Do you guys that have your RLs lowered already feel a difference in handling at all? Feel more confident in taking corners faster and is there less body roll? I'm guessing the ride is a lot rougher than the stock springs, right?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
the ride is not much differnt than the stock springs at all. I thought it would be a huge differnce but no its still soft enought to be in all day. The ride is lower so hence a lower center of gravity so it will corner better and I fell pretty good in jumping into corners but I always did.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Without knowing the spring rates of two given sets of springs, is there a good way to test for which is stronger? Can you measure the thickness of the coils and the number of coils in each spring against the others? I'm sure you could stand on them and jump up and down, but I'm sure there's a better way than that!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Spooner, the size of the coils and the number of turns isn't always a good way. We really need the manufacturers specs. The reason behind this is how hot the metal was when they were made (The rods they were made from were poured in a mold vs cut from a block) and what kind of metal they were made from. These are the 2 biggest factors that would determine the spring rates.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
rip_vw32 said:
Spooner, the size of the coils and the number of turns isn't always a good way. We really need the manufacturers specs. The reason behind this is how hot the metal was when they were made (The rods they were made from were poured in a mold vs cut from a block) and what kind of metal they were made from. These are the 2 biggest factors that would determine the spring rates.
I had a feeling it wasn't as easy as measuring. The guy I talked to at Gravana Tuning said he's been trying to get the spring rates for the Cobalt/Ion without much success. He said that it's VERY hard to get spring rates out of the manufacturer, particuarly on progressive rate springs. I'm not sure why it would be that hard, but he seems to know what he's talking about.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tek said:
2" Sprint Springs, which are actually about a 1.8" drop.

My Dropped Redline

Another Pic

or just look down at my sig...
Hell yeah..that red is the isht. I didnt like the red RL I saw at the dealership, but your's is tight. I guess the guy that owned the Red RL at the dealer should clean his. I think he was the service manager and his RL was dirty as hell.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
wut said:
Thanks........I located a few threads. Has anyone used the springs that Saturn offer? My dealer told me they could put some springs on but I have not talked to him in about a week.
Saturn offers springs for it now? I had found some SCCA classification numbers that included a new set of springs. Did he tell you of any other parts? Like an intercooler or anything? I've heard of nothing from Saturn in the way of upgrades yet. I would hope they offer something...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Sp00ner said:
Saturn offers springs for it now? I had found some SCCA classification numbers that included a new set of springs. Did he tell you of any other parts? Like an intercooler or anything? I've heard of nothing from Saturn in the way of upgrades yet. I would hope they offer something...
He didnt say anything about any upgrades. The conversation went like this:

"When I get my car, can you lower it 2 inches"
"Yeah the service guy has some springs"

This was before (about 1 - 2 weeks ago) I knew anything about the springs that were mentioned on this site. He could be wrong, but I wil try to get some more info from him.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts