Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever heard of this?

http://www.phantomgrip.com/

I found it browsing an Ecotec forum, some guy just had it installed and said it works just like an LSD. I know nothing of diffs at all, so anyone that does?

·
Registered
49 Posts
i assume you havn't been on any of the other boards. yes it works like an LSD but supposedly guys running it with the s-series have seen their spider gears go by by. apparently the same thing has happened to some honda guys as well. i would stay away from it if the RL was your DD, otherwise go for it. but remember, nothing beats the quaife.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
One of my customers has one on his SL-2 and it has not broken yet, says it works great. My shop foreman says these are great products that run a hell of a lot less than a locking differential. I am not sure what kind of long term damage it would do to the differential, but you can't beat the price.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jparf said:
but remember, nothing beats the quaife.
Yea, but for 1/5th the price, it's very attractive, no? It does come with a warranty as well... so your vote is no for a DD...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rlinbatonrouge said:
One of my customers has one on his SL-2 and it has not broken yet, says it works great. My shop foreman says these are great products that run a hell of a lot less than a locking differential. I am not sure what kind of long term damage it would do to the differential, but you can't beat the price.
Does your foreman have any personal experience with them, or just second hand?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why has no one mentioned this before?!?!?!? It's at least worth checking out, I've been looking at forums and such for about an hour now, and still can't find anyone complaining about it... yet... I mean, $300 as opposed to $2500 (installed) is a pretty nice deal...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I personally don't care for the Phanton Grip. I have had two in the SL2 and both caused very intesive transmission damage. Now granted I am drag racing the car not auto crossing. The first one took out the diff, case half, starter and the clutch. It exoploded causing damage to the spider gears then cracked the case. The second one with the heavier springs just took out the case half and the diff. In all reality it's cheaper to get the LSD and save a transmission or two.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Check out SRT-4 forums, there are a few people there that have had issues. All I have heard is it will f up your gears, and puts too much pressure on this, and that and the other thing. But you are completely right, for the price, and what it clamis to accomplsh, it would be a great deal, IF it didn't have any negative effects.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Make sure they do make it for Redline because even if it shows that they make em all car Saturn I did not see the Saab 9-3 in the Saab area and we have the same Saab 9-3 transmission. Just something to check out.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SaturnGuy said:
I personally don't care for the Phanton Grip. I have had two in the SL2 and both caused very intesive transmission damage. Now granted I am drag racing the car not auto crossing. The first one took out the diff, case half, starter and the clutch. It exoploded causing damage to the spider gears then cracked the case. The second one with the heavier springs just took out the case half and the diff. In all reality it's cheaper to get the LSD and save a transmission or two.
What kind of power were you pushing? I've been checking around, I'm always suspect of things that seem to good to be true, but it does seem like there is a pretty good number of people using them out there. The most I would be doing is a few road races each season, maybe a day or two at the strip.

I also read that they have a new diff pin for the system that is supposed to greatly increase the reliability. Of course, that's their claim, not mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sp00ner said:
What kind of power were you pushing? I've been checking around, I'm always suspect of things that seem to good to be true, but it does seem like there is a pretty good number of people using them out there. The most I would be doing is a few road races each season, maybe a day or two at the strip.

I also read that they have a new diff pin for the system that is supposed to greatly increase the reliability. Of course, that's their claim, not mine.

At that time the car was making about 120 on the motor and about 195 on the bottle. I always launched on the motor and brought the bott on about the 60 ft mark. As far as the diff pin saver, it's crap. All it is is a replacment pin with oil control grooves machined into it. It's true on the S-series and that was the most common failure but it's due to side load on the pin. I finally had to go with the Quaiffe just to keep the damn thing together long enough to make 3 races. I think auto crossing it might work better, but you will only get partial lock out of it. Save your money and buy a LSD.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SaturnGuy said:
At that time the car was making about 120 on the motor and about 195 on the bottle. I always launched on the motor and brought the bott on about the 60 ft mark. As far as the diff pin saver, it's crap. All it is is a replacment pin with oil control grooves machined into it. It's true on the S-series and that was the most common failure but it's due to side load on the pin. I finally had to go with the Quaiffe just to keep the damn thing together long enough to make 3 races. I think auto crossing it might work better, but you will only get partial lock out of it. Save your money and buy a LSD.
That $2500 part and install combo is just too damn far outta budget right now... I wish I could...

It seems like the more people that race alot comment, the more the answer points to no...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'd avoid the Phantom Grip. I've personally known two people that have blown their tranny as a result of using it. If you're going to go LSD, I'd have to say stick with the Quiafe.

Now, my other main beef is we need some real struts/shocks for our cars. ANyone from Koni or Bilstein listening?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I've heard of some honda, miata, and just alot of different cars destroying that phantom grip. I dont recommend it, probably more headache than it's worth. The price is attractive, but I think it's well worth it to pay 2500+ to get it done the FIRST TIME.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Other than you guys that have first hand experience, where are the rest of you hearing these horror stories? I've been searching the net for 2 days now, and seem to find alot more good stories than bad. They even have sponsored Hondas running SCCA T1-T2 that use these. I'm not saying that they don't break, but so do diffs without any mods.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
you mean scooters tranny dont ya. That thing is a mess but he blames it on the tranny.

·
Registered
144 Posts
some people just install these without even knowing a thing or 2 about transmissions and differentials.

I've only heard horror stories and never from the people themselves.
Like i have mentioned, we have had it in our car for sometime now and no bad effects. but then again i have installed it to spec.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts