Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some work on my M62 this weekend and took some pics with my new HTC Incredible. I hope you guys like these mobile pics better then the old ones I used to post up. :)

So here is what I did:

1. Changed SC Fluid
2. Slightly Ported the Outlet
3. Polished the Inlet
4. Replaced SC Coupler
5. Machined down the snout

My car has 32k on it but this is a used blower so I have no idea how many miles are on it.

Here are some pics.

Change your SC OIL!!!!!!

The black stuff is the stuff that come out. The clear stuff is the stuff that goes in. I am not sure if the original oil is still effective but for $10 I am going to change it.

Take apart the blower

I removed the 10mm bolts that hold the snout to the blower housing. Then I used hammer and wrench and lightly tapped on the taps to separate the three pieces of the blower.

Be vary careful and take your time.

Here are the 3 separate pieces of the blower.

Port the Outlet

Here is the original size of the outlet.

This is how much I marked to take off.

After a little porting I stop at this. Less then half of what I had marked.

And of course. ;)

Make sure to block off these bearings with a rag before porting to avoid getting shavings in the bearings.

Replaced the Coupler

I popped off the old one with a screwdriver and pushed on the new one on.

Make sure to spray down the housing with break cleaner before and after the port to remove any aluminum shavings.

Machined the Snout

ZZP Snout Machine Tool

Here is pics of my inlet port/polish. I did not take before pics but you get the idea.

Basically I used an metal cutter on my dremel and removed a little bit of material through the entire inlet. I paid special attention smooth out the casting lines on the left and right side of the blower. Then I used a 120 grit sanding wheel bit and went over everything in the inlet to smooth things out. Then I used some 320 grit polishing bits to finish the polish.

So that is pretty much it. I have a 2.6" pulley on order from Smoothflow. The gas pumps are putting out the Spring blend of E85 which is actually 78% ethanol. If I can run 25-26 degrees of timing on that blend I will be going to the dyno shop very soon.

:bigthumb:

·
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so how do you put in the oil when its taken apart? or is there a hole you can pour it through
There is a plug on the front of the blower. I think it gets removed with a 4mm Allen wrench.

I put it back together and then put in the new oil.

Its to the left of the snout on this pic.

·
Registered
856 Posts
thank you. i have been wanting to change the stuff but never knew how. i have 75k on my car so i bet its time for a change. thank you for the write up. do you know the torque (ft lbs) for the bolts holding it together?

·
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not out of context you meant to put new but put old and old :).
Good stuff though I'm just being a grammar nazi :lol:.
OOOOhhhhh. I get it. Duhhh!

Fixed

Its late and I am tired.

thank you. i have been wanting to change the stuff but never knew how. i have 75k on my car so i bet its time for a change. thank you for the write up. do you know the torque (ft lbs) for the bolts holding it together?
Snug? lol

No I do not know for sure. They loosened up pretty easy.

At the minimum everyone should replace their SC oil. That does not require removing the snout. Just remove the SC from the IM and open up that plug.

Here is a pic of the SC oil that came out of my original blower with about 15k.

Again. I am not claiming that the SC oil has lost its ability to properly lubricate the blower. I think that GM says that the SC never needs to be serviced. But that shit gets dirty fast. For $10, I am going to change mine every 25k-30k.

http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_ion/products.php?id=189

·
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:werd: I did mine in the car. Plus if you take it out, you can change 100% of the oil instead of whatever you can remove with a turkey baster.
Removing the old oil was really weird. I removed the blower and opened the plug and tipped the blower upside down until all the oil dripped out.

Then as I started to take the blower apart more and more oil started to come out. I would be willing to bet that as much oil came out during the break down of the blower as drained out through the plug. At first I was like WTF! But then it started to make sense.

There is a long standing debate about how the fluid capacity of the M62 blower. GM says you need 2 4oz bottles of SC fluid to replace the oil.

But most people only removed about 3 oz when they change their oil. So I think there is some place that the oil gets trapped inside the SC.

This is the amount of oil I was able to collect but at least that much spilled out when I removed the snout.

Check it after 1k miles i bet it will be dirty..so you prolly should change sooner than 1k
I might just do that. As you can see in that pic I have an extra coupler and bottle of SC oil that I was plan on using to rebuild the M90 on my Regal GS.

If I don't get around to it in a month or so maybe I will change the oil on the M62 again to see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
634 Posts
NIce write up! and pics
I didn't use "super charger oil" in mine when i changed it. I picked up some gear oil and used that. I forget what the weight was and crap like that. I laid the blower flat (outlet down) and kept feeding in oil until it started to spill out of the fill hole. So it's probably 1/3 full of gear oil where the gears are.... oh and someone told me to re-grease the screw barring ( the hole in the middle of the backside of the blower) , so i did that too.

·
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh and someone told me to re-grease the screw barring ( the hole in the middle of the backside of the blower) , so i did that too.
Oh yeah. I did that too. I used Mobile One Synthetic bearing grease.

I should have took more pics when I was putting everything back together...

1 - 20 of 238 Posts