Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get this stuff out of the Steig thread b/c I think it could be useful to some down the road...(Sp00n - can you take those last few posts outta there and put them in here?)

Anyway, who's got comparison # for each?

I thought a MAJOR hangup between the two blowers was the snout length - anyone got specs? (As well as the adapter plate, but that's easy enough to deal with)

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
The M62 is 17.7" and the M90 is 17", but depending on how the adapter plate is made, doesn't matter. Or there is always just calling up EATON and getting a 3/4" longer snout.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
mgm1979 said:
I wanted to get this stuff out of the Steig thread b/c I think it could be useful to some down the road...(Sp00n - can you take those last few posts outta there and put them in here?)

Anyway, who's got comparison # for each?

I thought a MAJOR hangup between the two blowers was the snout length - anyone got specs? (As well as the adapter plate, but that's easy enough to deal with)
heres my comparison m62 is smaller then the m90 so the m90 can make mor powa with less boost. :D what more is there to know. whaty can it spinnn the same as the hybrid m62 probably not but your not going to need to.

just my 2 cents. :D

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Plus people are pissing away money on porting yet, oh snap, there is pretty much no gain. Spend half as much and you can have a M90 and adapter set up and I don't really think you have to worry of whether it makes more than the ported est. 4whp...

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
My reasoning for mentioning RPM's is because many people seem to be thinking they'll be able to spin the m90 the same speed they've been spinning their m62's and that probably isn't going to work. You'll most likely be making max hp a bit lower with the m90 than we've been making it with the m62. That's actually a good thing, but some people won't see it that way.

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Well here is a way of putting it into perspective...anyone know what a grand prix runs as a stock pulley size?

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vandy0419 said:
Plus people are pissing away money on porting yet, oh snap, there is pretty much no gain. Spend half as much and you can have a M90 and adapter set up and I don't really think you have to worry of whether it makes more than the ported est. 4whp...

That goes both ways...until it's done and theirs #s, you can just mod it up and slap it on there and expect X, Y, or Z gains...as with MOST mods on this car, especially things of THIS nature, throwing something like this on only emphasizes some OTHER area's weakness/restriction...:shrug03:

And fullthrottle...you know better...personally, this doesn't fit inline with my TC plans, but it's still good info, nonetheless...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think a M90 swap would have been a good GM stage 3 but it would be pricey

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
I just did a quick search, the M90s use 3.8" pulleys stock! So I plan on buying a kit with a 3.4" at first so I don't overshoot it...watch the a/f and then start going down on pulley size.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Shabodah said:
My reasoning for mentioning RPM's is because many people seem to be thinking they'll be able to spin the m90 the same speed they've been spinning their m62's and that probably isn't going to work. You'll most likely be making max hp a bit lower with the m90 than we've been making it with the m62. That's actually a good thing, but some people won't see it that way.
yes sir less engines rpm means less stress for a better power level

·
Moderator Kitteh!
11,564 Posts
Alot of the M90's I've found on ebay had 3.4"'s on them already

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
mgm1979 said:
Are the m90/62 snout shafts the same? So, can we put our current BF/Pulley Boys/Intense hubs on the m90?
i believe so. in fact i think intese sells the same pulleys to us that they do the GTP's

·
Moderator Kitteh!
11,564 Posts
So this might become a dream swap come true?

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Now I'm second guessing things, lol!
GM's cost on the m90 is not very different than the m62, especially for a low-production, special edition type car. Why did they choose the m62?

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
so far nothing man, im specifically looking 4 GTP's. I think me and my brother might be able to find one though, Ill send it to you if his idea works. Im gonna try and get in contact with Pork, best junkyards are on Montana ave in El Paso! Ill pm him!

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Shabodah said:
Now I'm second guessing things, lol!
GM's cost on the m90 is not very different than the m62, especially for a low-production, special edition type car. Why did they choose the m62?
It goes by the number of cylinders...

M45 (4cyl) Used on Mini CooperS only producing 170hp
M62 (4cyl)
M90 (6cyl)
M112 (8cyl)

It isn't bad to go up one, its all safety blankets my friend. Like how INTENSE has a M112 kit to swap onto the Grand Prixs, insane...400whp kit! But hell, 400whp is what I plan on doing with this M90!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
AlphaJaguar5 said:
So this might become a dream swap come true?
Not without a shit load of work... You will see some gains but not the paradise that this thread leaves the impression you guys are expecting. You are going to have to re-tune the intake plenum, all of the airflow maps, etc.. I would expect that to see what you are spending your money on, a tip of the intake to tip of the exhaust re-tune would be in the offerings....

Mark

1 - 20 of 183 Posts