Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i fixed my broken barkeline by flaring and using a brass conector. now i put headers on my car and after i did that a coolant message and the engine light came on. so i took it to autozone and they tried connecting a obd reader to and it didnt work ??? but it has before so i ive been looking around and everything seems to be connected. anyone else experince this or have a solution?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
You put headers on your car? What is the Coolant message? Check engine lights seem to be the norm after modding the car a bit. The more I read about our emissions checking software, the less suprised I am when a CEL goes off. I'm assuming that you have already checked the manual for the meaning of the message, and have checked all your wires? Does the car run funny in anyway?

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it dose run funny when i reset it and then engine light comes on then its fine i checked all the wiring and no i dont have my owners manual its in bean town. but the coolant level is good. iam gonna check the fuses . also i had to cut the wires to the
02 sensor (after the cat) but i wired it back up. only thing that confused me was that there are two white wires?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
kazkillinger said:
it dose run funny when i reset it and then engine light comes on then its fine i checked all the wiring and no i dont have my owners manual its in bean town. but the coolant level is good. iam gonna check the fuses . also i had to cut the wires to the
02 sensor (after the cat) but i wired it back up. only thing that confused me was that there are two white wires?
Why did you have to cut the wires? Are you SURE that you connected them correctly? CAN you just cut the wires to the 02 sensor without issues? I'd be pretty nervous to cut and splice something that responds to tiny voltage variations...

There should have been no reason that an OBDII scanner shouldn't be able to read the codes..

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i had asked the manager at autozone he said what i used to splice the wires together was fine. i thought that was weird that obd scanner didnt work. but they said it didnt.

·
Registered
808 Posts
obd scanners dont work right on an ion you have to have a candi module for the tech 2 to work

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Shouldn't a newer OBDII scanner be able to do it? I know that you need a translator, or something built into the tool, I was thinking that the new scanners should have support for it by now? Goofy has a buddy at Autozone that scans his reguarly, I think.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I dont know for sure, but yes if it has the decoder built in it should work. We had to buy a 1300 dollar adaptor/decoder just to do state inspections

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Seeing as how I'm a programmer, I've decided to figure out all I can about the computer/networks in the car. It's pretty neat really. So the Ion DOES have the CAN system running as well? WopOnTour thought that it was only running a Class2 network on it. Which is odd, since he says the CobaltSS has the CAN net. The stuff I was reading said that the Ion was using CAN for high-speed operations, things like engine control and ABS, and such. While it used the Class2 for chassis and body systems. Does that sound right to you? Or does WopOnTour have it right?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I never thought to check spooner, give me awhile and ill go plug in without the candi and see what it will let me do.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
That would be a huge help! Also, if you can ask someone what kind of 'off-the-shelf' scanner would work for us, that would be awesome. I want to pick on up ASAP, but want to be sure that it works. From what I've read, I think I can just measure the voltages from the two pins, one that the Class2 would read, and the one that the CAN would read. Not sure on that at all...

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nah regular obd2 scanners work i have used them before to read a maf malfunction.
o h and yeah replacing that fuse did the trizik. it weird how much shit was going nutz just cause of that.....coolant,abs,gasmileage,power

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
kazkillinger said:
nah regular obd2 scanners work i have used them before to read a maf malfunction.
o h and yeah replacing that fuse did the trizik. it weird how much shit was going nutz just cause of that.....coolant,abs,gasmileage,power
Must have blown when you cut the wires maybe? Did you disconnect the battery before you cut them? If not, make sure that you do next time!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
John said:
I never thought to check spooner, give me awhile and ill go plug in without the candi and see what it will let me do.
Here's some more info that I found... this is for a regular QC with the VTI...

SomeGuy said:
This car also has the VTi continuously variable automatic transmission. You can see the control modules for the engine and transmission on the right side. They are connected together using a new industry-standard automotive data bus called CAN (Controller Area Network), which this is the first GM vehicle to use. They, as well as the ABS module, airbag sensing and diagnostic module, and the body computer module are also linked using an older GM data bus called Class 2.

·
Registered
808 Posts
well from that i would say the bcm can be accesed but the tcm and ecm need the candi, still havent checked yet though, its to hot outside like 95 deg down here.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have been able to scan Powertrain codes with a Tech 2 with no Candi module. Also recalibrated without one. Not sure on other functions using no Candi module.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
SWCRedline said:
I have been able to scan Powertrain codes with a Tech 2 with no Candi module. Also recalibrated without one. Not sure on other functions using no Candi module.
How so? Or do you not know? Don't understand how you can since it seems to be using a totally different protocol. Unless there are some codes that are relayed outside the CAN net to the Class2 one... like I said, I'm a newbie on this. Do you work for GM or something, or just have the pleasure of owning that REAL expensive toy? Even the manual for it says that it needs the CANdi adapter from what I've read.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
John said:
well from that i would say the bcm can be accesed but the tcm and ecm need the candi, still havent checked yet though, its to hot outside like 95 deg down here.
That's consistent with what I've been finding.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.