Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thats right, 260 whp and 211 tp @ 17psi in my RL. I got a greddy e-manage to work and after the 3 hours of tunning thats what I ended up with. So here is the scoop as of now (keep in mind that this is not the finished product yet)...

Running a intake, exhaust, 2.8" from SFPH, tensioner, Greddy E-manage unit, E-manage ignition harness, and greddy rpm adapter from a 350Z. After hooking up the E-manage and harness, the new system would only read 1/4 of the rpm's and the genaric rpm adapter deisgned for four cylenders wasnt helping. The tech from greddy recomended the 350Z rpm adapter.

That worked so we through it on the dyno and started tunning it. Thats when we ran into anouther snag. The tps went ape shit. It was reading as low as 30% compasity at some points. The really wierd thing is that it was random. Some times it would read normal, or just slightly balow. Other times it would sputter down and the car would almost die on us. All we did to fix that is unhook the tps all together.

The next snag (most of you probably already know what this is going to be) was fuel. The car obviously ran lean at first. we did get everything well within a good A/F ratio. At least until 5800 rpm when it starts to lean out a little bit. Sorry, Im at work right now and dont have the #'s in front of me. 6000 rpm and up, the stock injectors are running @ 100%. I have injectors and a new harness on the way but because of my up coming work schedual it will be 2-3 weeks before they go in. At that point the car will be retunned and the #'s will go up. My tunning guy said I can expect to hit roughly 275 whp, give or take a few.

The car feels great. Needless to say, it scoots along pritty and it's running great. It did take alot of work (about 5 hours) but damn, 260 at the wheels is damn good in my book. Alot higher then I anticipated. I will post up contact #s and prices in the Mid-west section on the forum so you locals can check out your options.

One more intresting piece of info... After this whole thing was said and done, he said a S-AFC would have worked to, as long as you hade a rpm adapter. However, the E-manage+Ignition harness is the recomended way to go because of the adition options in tunning.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Nice, I wish I lived in the Mid-west so I could get in on that. The only place around here is Central Florida Turbo, I have been there a few times, but they (for whatever reson) don't like messing with supercharged cars. (hence the name I suppose)

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
thats awsome news mane.. i have a tunning shop that does tunes for corvettes and other big GM cars and he said once i find a way to tune he would help me get the car running perfect

·
Registered
889 Posts
This is awesome news! Where are you located at? Now think what this would be like if you tuned it like this after you had the stage kits as well!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
crazybrew609 said:
thats awsome news mane.. i have a tunning shop that does tunes for corvettes and other big GM cars and he said once i find a way to tune he would help me get the car running perfect
Good luck. Make sure you take our cars pin outs to the shop first because they may have trouble finding them.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I dont want to rain on the parade, but why not go with the stage kit for $425, as opposed to all that for $800, plus injectors and such? Seriously, no disrespect meant. Those are great numbers!

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
sp00ner aren't they talking like 260 crank hp for stage 2? as compared to whp?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Freakazoid said:
sp00ner aren't they talking like 260 crank hp for stage 2? as compared to whp?
It's about a 35hp gain as showed on the charts Alpha posted... for stage 1. Let alone stage 2. He does have a lot of tuning options now though. For those of us pushing 230 and above, like he was, it's a quick 260+.

My guess is he was just sick of waiting, and I can't blame him.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
redline13 said:
Nice, I wish I lived in the Mid-west so I could get in on that. The only place around here is Central Florida Turbo, I have been there a few times, but they (for whatever reson) don't like messing with supercharged cars. (hence the name I suppose)
Yeah, CFT is mainly crazy turbo cars, that and they don't know much of anything about the Redline or Ion platform. They think I"m nuts for getting my QC to run and turn what it does LOL. In time we'll have a local shop to help us out.

That is sweet, I've heard a lot of success stories with the Greddy unit from other people, just never on a Redline.

This is a pretty good sign of the power you guys can unlock with proper tuning.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
what i take this news as a way to really tune the entire car... with a simple program... no need for a smt-6 or some other piggy back type unit.. this thing plugs in you set your parapmeters and tune from it... this is good news.. now add this to the stage kits and 300whp is easy and safe

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sp00ner said:
It's about a 35hp gain as showed on the charts Alpha posted... for stage 1. Let alone stage 2. He does have a lot of tuning options now though. For those of us pushing 230 and above, like he was, it's a quick 260+.

My guess is he was just sick of waiting, and I can't blame him.
I think once the injectors go in and everything is retuned I will be making more power then a stage 2, simply because of my options. Speaking of options, thats the main reason I went for this setup, tuning opions. Once the stage kit is on, thats it. There is no changing that aspect of the car. For me, I now have the option of twin charging, going straight turbo, tunning for spray, ect... all without have to mess with the managment aspect. Also, Ive never been a big fan of "pre-tuned" plug and play set ups. Thats just a personal prefrence. Plus, its nice to have somthing diffrent, even if it was a little more expencive.

And yes, I got sick of waiting too.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
So are you still on the stock injectors? Oops nevermind you are....dang atleast thats good news for me I have rev-it-up stg 1 so i guess my car isn't going to blow up like my wife thinks it is.

And what was your baseline numbers wen tuning like your first dyno where did it start that night and well you ended up at 260

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first run of the night was 244whp (once the tps was unhooked), second one was around 250, and the next few worked there way up until we hit 268. That was a no go on the A/F though. The highest and safest # we found was 260.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sp00ner said:
For those of us pushing 230 and above, like he was, it's a quick 260+.
Thats not completly acurate. My only other power adders are a CAI and axle-back (if you can call that a power adder). I'd say for how much power I have over stock, 50+ of the hp is from the tune and pulley. I think this is a great way to gain some damn good power without the stage kits. This way you can make your own, get more power, and have more options in the long run.
Here is a good way to look at it:
My Greddy setup on a stock car you could make around 30whp.
My setup + more boost, say 15psi, you could make around 40whp
My setup with even more boost ,like 17psi, should make 50+whp
Add injectors to that and your talken 60+whp.

Basicly this was the long way for me to say that this is a option for anyone that wants some good gains, not just those of us how had deccent power to begin with.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RL-2005 said:
so if the tps is unhooked what is simulating that signal? doesnt the ECU need to see that value to run correctly? do you have an interceptor?
Nothing, no, and no. The greddy alows you to read the tps only. I didnt think it would work but no codes were thrown or anything. Car ran great after that. To be 100% honest, I dont know why or how it worked, but it did.:confused:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
if i get myself a emanage can you send me your maps so i can load them in??? id love to try this out in the time im waiting for something bigger and better...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Are you in the midwest?
Matt and I would love to get a look at that set up.
I almost got one of the greddy systems 2 weeks after I bought the car but I didn't want to spend $1k for something I wasn't familiar with.

OH and have you thought about running bigger injectors??

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
ender said:
Are you in the midwest?
Matt and I would love to get a look at that set up.
I almost got one of the greddy systems 2 weeks after I bought the car but I didn't want to spend $1k for something I wasn't familiar with.

OH and have you thought about running bigger injectors??
I'd like to see it also. Did you take any pics durning the install?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts