Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
only one prob with that I had that kit to turbo cavy, i used 2 thoe :p but anyways its sounded good and gave great gains but problem with rain will suck unless u buy one of the covers for filters that are water resistant.

get a video !!!!!! nice custom cut (clean install) too man!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
what you can also do is cut a hole that is about the width of the intake pipe at the bottom of the bend upward towards the throttle body. any water that gets into the tube will fall out of the hole because of gravity. this hole will sacrifice a little bit of airflow but will still give you more than enough air forced into the throttle body. look at the picture that I got from the banks power website. the piece all the way to the left is what I am describing. water and debris flows out the hole opposite of the inlet and air will go straight up. hopefully the picture will help illustrate what i am describing. by the way, your "ram-air" kit is awesome. it should give great gains especially on the highway. it also looks very low key. i almost didnt notice the covered hole in the grille. GREAT JOB. :cool:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
Dude that is really nice. My question do you hear the supercharger whine alot louder like us that have relocated the maf sensor. If so I may also wanna do this. I really wanna get some mesh grill up in the front like tomorrow or something so mounting it would be a little diff but man thats really clean and such an awesome idea! My question can you take some under the car shots! I wanna also take that other tube out when I have time hopefully some time this week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
yo man can we get some instructions typed up or something, i am looking at the pic but not sure on a couple things,

did u take the air box out

is that a second filter or does it just run up to the old one and hook up to the factory airbox cover

that is about all i can think of for now but can we get some under car shots so we can see where the tube runs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I was happy the way it turned out! I am also a little worried about water. The way that filter works though, it draws air through the center(tube fed) AND through the sides. I figure that even if the tube is filled with water, the car will breathe air in through the sides. I figure it like if you poke holes through the side of a drinking straw and stick it down in water, no matter how hard you suck, it will not pull the water up. The air is easier for it. I still agree though, I need some kind of hole, or bypass. That Banks idea looks good. Will try to get something figured out.
I did take the airbox out. It was...not fun getting it out. I got it out by cutting one of the mounting tabs off it, undoing the ground strap you can see in pic 9, and wiggling,cussing turning, pulling on it(carefully :D ) pulled it out.
The supercharger is super loud! :D People all look like :confused: Love it!
Will get some under car pics.
All parts were bought @Autozone. They are all made by Spectre. (except the mesh, I had that) $58 for all parts :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
I hope you don't mind some contructive critizim (sp?) from experience.

#1. That filter SUCKS, or actually it doesn't suck that well.... Either way its a terrible filter (for flow and filtering ability). Spring the extra money and get a good filter with a tuned entrance and reverse funnel. Check out APEXi's site for one.

#2. Autozone dryer hose = baaaaad for flow. Again, spring the extra money and order thin wall aluminum mandrel bends from Vibrant. Notice that even the OEM paid enough attention to detail to make the stock pipe smooth inside.

Other than that, very good idea and exellent job on the install. You just need to get the right parts and start selling it to give K&N some competition. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
dont bash the man for trying, what he did makes it better than stock and i am sure that it was more of just a trying things to make the car faster and not really wanting to sell it, i think its a great start you are rite it would be better with a expensive filter and some metal tube but at least what hes got going it better than stock.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
navymitch12 said:
dont bash the man for trying, what he did makes it better than stock and i am sure that it was more of just a trying things to make the car faster and not really wanting to sell it, i think its a great start you are rite it would be better with a expensive filter and some metal tube but at least what hes got going it better than stock.
I don't think he was bashing much, he did compliment him on the install job. He was just speaking very directly. He's right too, that filter does suck, and the dryer tube isn't the greatest idea. However, it's better than anyone else's system that's out there huh?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
290 Posts
good going...

we are actually testing something similar with a very nice drop in filter we had custom made for the Redline. applying any forced air to the supercharger pays off in power production.

Good job ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,041 Posts
Yea I don't think that planet was criticizing too bad, just suggesting better products to use. Nice clean looking install man. I'm wondering a couple of things about it though. In picture 9, it shows nothing is hooked up to the supercharger's outward airflow to the airbox. How did you combine the supercharger's flow with the intake? I don't think there's a picture of that up there. If you could, post that one too please :) Did you combine it back with the stock tube that comes out of it? Do tell if you notice any improved throttle response or throatier sound out of it. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
for an at-home job with parts he got from autozone he just put together an intake that will perform better than something K&N, AEM, or Injen is putting together. I might have to buy an RL to do this myself!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,041 Posts
Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, but does the air from the filter feed into the supercharger, or does it combine with the supercharger's outlet flow?
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
jpapa said:
Yea I don't think that planet was criticizing too bad, just suggesting better products to use. Nice clean looking install man. I'm wondering a couple of things about it though. In picture 9, it shows nothing is hooked up to the supercharger's outward airflow to the airbox. How did you combine the supercharger's flow with the intake? I don't think there's a picture of that up there. If you could, post that one too please :) Did you combine it back with the stock tube that comes out of it? Do tell if you notice any improved throttle response or throatier sound out of it. Thanks!
The more I look at this, the more impressed I am with it. Other than the filter choice, and maybe the tubing, but it's the same tubing (more or less) as we already have on part of it.

One thing that I noticed before, how did you get the new intake hosing past the frame/body that I saw right behind the 'fog light' cut outs? Did you have to squeeze the tube or anything like that? That was what stopped me in my tracks, I though I would have to squeeze the tube more than I wanted to.

Does anyone know of a filter that is a better quality one that will also fit correctly. I already have the K&N E1009 in the airbox right now, but that wouldn't work for the application like he has it here.

That is quite different from what I was looking to do. I was trying to attach that hose into the stock airbox, creating, I hoped, a somewhat pressurized are inside of the stock airbox. That way I could keep as much of the stock hardware in there as possible. Mainly for ease rather than performance possibilities. That thing looks great though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Don't mind the constructive critcizm at all! That's why I posted.
I knew nothing about the performance of that filter, and wanted to use a K&N, but didn't see one that drew air in like that. Also, those parts were all there together, so it made connections easy. I will be looking to see what better tubing or filter will work, or waiting for something custom(PSI-FI ;) ?)to come out. It will be easy to upgrade any of it.
The filter just fits over the maf housing, similar to the stock filter, w/out the box. That filter was VERY hard to fit on there, but it will go.
Pic. 9 is with everything out. Pics 1, 2, & 3 is the finished install.*EDIT* just noticed the return tube wasn't hooked up in pic 3. It stays in stock loca.(Everything does :) ) Looks stock from above, but, you can just see the filter in the pic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Sp00ner said:
The more I look at this, the more impressed I am with it. Other than the filter choice, and maybe the tubing, but it's the same tubing (more or less) as we already have on part of it.

One thing that I noticed before, how did you get the new intake hosing past the frame/body that I saw right behind the 'fog light' cut outs? Did you have to squeeze the tube or anything like that? That was what stopped me in my tracks, I though I would have to squeeze the tube more than I wanted to.

Does anyone know of a filter that is a better quality one that will also fit correctly. I already have the K&N E1009 in the airbox right now, but that wouldn't work for the application like he has it here.

That is quite different from what I was looking to do. I was trying to attach that hose into the stock airbox, creating, I hoped, a somewhat pressurized are inside of the stock airbox. That way I could keep as much of the stock hardware in there as possible. Mainly for ease rather than performance possibilities. That thing looks great though.
Thanks Spooner, The tubing just fits past the frame, no squeezing! It's 3" all the way. Will try to get pics showing it tonight.
Would also like to find a better quality filter. Someone said check out Apexi?
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
01SS05RL said:
Thanks Spooner, The tubing just fits past the frame, no squeezing! It's 3" all the way. Will try to get pics showing it tonight.
Would also like to find a better quality filter. Someone said check out Apexi?
Or maybe just figure out how to use the K&N? I know it dosen't have an open front cone like that, but maybe something can be worked out. If there's no reason to use a Saturn-specific filter, there should be some K&N filters that are built the same way. Those open cone filters are pretty popular. I'll do some checking of the K&N inventory rite quick and be back...
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top