Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a how to guide on how to properly dial in air to fuel ratio.
*EDIT* If anything on this guide isn't making complete sense to you, Do some reading at hptuners.com/forums. This is basically a spoon feeding guide and involves the basics on how to tune your VE/MAF/AFR - what makes or breaks a good tune.
I am not liable if you blow up your car. *EDIT*
*EDIT 2* Pics added. Sorry pics are so small, right click save as. *EDIT*

1. Disable dfco
2. Disable LTFT
3. Disable STFT
4. Address the open loop table
5. Disable COT & Disable piston protection
6. Dialing in your power enrich table

1. Disable dfco
-to disable DFCO just set the enable temp. to 300 or higher, you don't need to change the other dfco settings. (unless you really want to!)

2. Disable LTFT

-to disable LTFT do the same thing, set the enable (min.) temp. to 300 or higher.

3. Disable STFT
-you should also disable STFT by modifying the 2 tables under the closed loop heading.

-ECT vs Startup ECT - set the whole table to 300
-O2 readiness ECT - set the whole table to 400

4. Address the open loop table

Then there are 4 tables you need to modify under the 'open loop' heading because they can apply a factor to the fueling calcs.

-Gas(Gear) set the whole table to 1.00
-Gas(P/N) set the whole table to 1.00
-IVT Gain set the whole table to 1.00
-EQ Ratio Min set the whole table to 1.00

5. Disable COT & Disable piston protection
While you are calibrating your air and fuel you should also disable Piston Protection and preferably COT too because they can also complicate the fueling calcs.

- Disable Piston Protection by setting it to 8192
- Disable COT by zeroing out the 2 adder fields, and setting the temp. thresholds to 7400.
(Note that disabling COT can cause damage to your Catalytic converter if you have one!!! because it can be left to overheat!!)

6. Dialing in your power enrich table
- To dial in your power enrich table, or AFR for wide open throttle, Simply divide stioch AFR (14.689 or 14.7) By the AFR you would like to see.
For example in this case well say 11.8.
14.689/11.8 = 1.2448 (usually the first 5 numbers are enough to use)
Now place the 1.2448 in the power enrich tab > eq ratio vs rpm table. Do so across the entire board making your PE curve as flat as possible.

As far as your timing tables go, I would just use the gm factory timing tables as starting points, just to keep things safe.

Now, drive your car around as smoothly as possible without any sudden throttle changes. You want to be as dead on as possible. That will help dial in your cruising mafs ranges. To tune for WOT simply mash the gas.

Use your hpt scanner to read maf error %. Or VE error %
Get the results from the scanner, after you have at least 30 hits on every cell you want to adjust for. Copy the results from the scanner, and paste them to your tune's MAF freq table under the airflow tab. Or the VE table located in the same tab. Use hand smoothing when possible. REFRAIN from using the auto smooth option for all that is holy.

Initially, you would like the maf or VE error % to be as close to 0 as possible. -4 or +4 are not close enough. Make a valid attempt to get it into the 1s at the very least. Also, Its always better to be in the negatives then the positives. So shoot for -1 if possible.

Thank you Omega for submitting this:

Thought I'd add;
To tune the VE, set Engine Diagnostics -> Airflow -> MAF Sensor -> MAF Fail High to 0Hz to disable the MAF
You'll need to copy the high octane table to the low table

To tune MAF, set Engine -> Airflow -> Dynamic Airflow -> High Disable -> to under 500RPM
and Engine -> Airflow -> Dynamic Airflow -> High re-enable -> to 100RPM less than the disable setting to disable the VE.

Thats all there is to it. These same settings should be used whether you are maf tuning or ve tuning. The only difference is whether the maf is enabled or disabled.

Huge thanks to everyone who has helped me with VE and MAF tuning when I didnt know any better. It may have been some time in the past, but you are not forgotten. :bluecap:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Thought I'd add;
To tune the VE, set Engine Diagnostics -> Airflow -> MAF Sensor -> MAF Fail High to 0Hz to disable the MAF

To tune MAF, set Engine -> Airflow -> Dynamic Airflow -> High Disable -> to under 500RPM
and Engine -> Airflow -> Dynamic Airflow -> High re-enable -> to 100RPM less than the disable setting to disable the VE.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought I'd add;

Arg, knew it seemed incomplete. Thanks again man.

Everyone, thank you.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Most def. should add it. No use sitting on good info that we already know off the top of our heads.
Here is my VE via fuel trims... mostly adapted from the LS1 method.
Note that I only suggest tuning via trims for in the areas you daily drive in, eg) under 4000RPM, no higher than 5psi.
Fuel Trim Method
• Reset the fuel trims. Using the scanner, connect to the ECU. Under VCM Controls -> Fuel & Spark -> Fuel Trim Learn, click on Reset Fuel Trims.
• Allow the ECU to relearn the VE fuel trims. It can take up to 100 miles to learn the trims. In this time, try to have all the cells learned. It helps if you have the VCM scanner in the car while doing this, so you can see what cells have been learned.
• Create or load the VE vs LTFT + STFT histogram, with minimum cell count at 5. Alternately, you can log LTFT and STFT separately. Record the average values.
• When the engine is at operating temperature, begin to log
• Try to encounter as many normal driving conditions as possible. Drive as smooth as possible, and try to fill as much of the table as possible. Also, try to get more than 50 hits per cell in the more used areas. Remember though, you can’t accurately tune WOT via fuel trims.
• Copy scanner data
• Open VE table
• Paste Special -> Add and smooth. If you logged LTFT and STFT separately, you will need to add both.
• Save and re-load new calibration
• Repeat until the all of the trims are in the 0 to -5 range.
BTW, when tuning by trims, you don't have to turn off any adders mentioned in the wideband method... you just have to fail the MAF, and move the octane table.

As well, here is the link to the HPT new users guides;
New Users: Help files and Demos - HP Tuners Bulletin Board

·
Registered
440 Posts
Omega, you're using the exact parameters I'm working on today - 4000 rpm and 5psi.

The Stage 2 VE table is WAY off (at least, if you have a header + 3" exhaust and 2.9" pulley LOL)

In some areas around 95kpa under 2600rpm, I found it almost 20% off. Smoothing now (gotta let the laptop recharge so I can go back at it)

WOT tuning MUST be done with a wideband. Adjust PE Eq Ratio to adjust the WOT fueling ;)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Omega, you're using the exact parameters I'm working on today - 4000 rpm and 5psi.

The Stage 2 VE table is WAY off (at least, if you have a header + 3" exhaust and 2.9" pulley LOL)
Check out my other thread in this section... the Stage 2 alone is pretty far off.
Tuning cleaned it up very well.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Very well written. There is also a quick-and-dirty method for tuning that seems to be the method of choice for one vendor's canned tune.

Set Engine -> Airflow -> Dynamic Airflow -> High Disable -> to 1000 RPM
And Engine -> Airflow -> Dynamic Airflow -> High re-enable -> to 900 RPM
Then tune the MAF by fuel trims, which is essentially the same as the VE method, but using the MAF Airflow Vs Output Frequency table, recording Short/Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 (SAE)

Then just leave it like that. There's nothing bad about driving with the MAF only, and it is a LOT faster to tune. I can usually MAF tune a car in under an hour.

For MAF WOT, simply set up another table that records your wideband error once your AFR drops and your boost is over the required boost to hit Power Enrichment. For example, mine is set up to start when my AFR drops below 13 and my boost is above 3 PSI (the boost requirement is to avoid random low spikes during shifting)

Wideband error is calculated like so:
100 * (WB AFR - Commanded)
...........(Commanded)

I was also told that when doing the trim tuning, your VE should be reading the sensor, but your MAF should be reading the PID. If someone else can confirm that'd be cool.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just wanna give a big thanks to shaun a.k.a 04REDLINE for providing this excellent info!

Just got done finishing this, everything from 3.0 to 5.7 is the cell range I hit when I drive part throttle a.k.a cruise. Just about all 0s, and 1s.

·
Registered
961 Posts
04Redline said:
Hey man.
DFCO deceleration fuel cut off is what it is. Its located
under fuel control > fuel cutoff tab. itll be on the right hand side. Everything else you have to turn off and change is right there in the write up I did, its literally a spoon feeding guide.
Prolly not the best help, but I cant offer anything if you cant get started.
I'm trying my best to learn out how to do all this on my own with the help of you ralliartist and a few others. my tune is off and in 2nd gear it's a low 11 then i shift to 3rd and right after in about 1-2 seconds it goes to a flat 10.0 afr on my wideband gauge. here is what someone told me to do on hptuners.

Yulp, My guess would be either piston protection is bieng set, or COT is still on.
Engine > COT, Lean cruise, theres 3 tables there that can be played with to adjust the COT.

Though, If your uncomfortable doing this, I would HIGHLY ADVISE someone to do the job for you. Its alot cheaper to pay a tuner to do his job, then it is to buy a new motor. Good luck.
just trying to figure out what to do what i can change to slowly change my afr so i can correct the few problems i am having. thanks if u can help me 04redline

·
Registered
961 Posts
command the afr you want and maf tune
yes. i am trying to go step by step if u can help me i'll make 04redline's maf & ve tuning thread a piece of cake for the next person who is not so gifted and smart in this area with picture and video tutorials on how to change everything he listed. ok so i got this...

-to disable DFCO just set the enable temp. to 300 or higher, you don't need to change the other dfco settings. (unless you really want to!)

next is....

-to disable LTFT do the same thing, set the enable (min.) temp. to 300 or higher.

-you should also disable STFT by modifying the 2 tables under the closed loop heading.

where can those two be found?

-THANKS in advanced

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Serious? have you ever even opened up the editor and looked around and actually read the headings? His guide is pretty easy..

Fuel Control->OL&CL->both tables are there

·
Registered
961 Posts
Serious? have you ever even opened up the editor and looked around and actually read the headings? His guide is pretty easy..

Fuel Control->OL&CL->both tables are there
thank you. sorta looked around but not really. time is of the essence usually. barely any time so i figure if someone can make an newb guide i'l upload vid's how to guide's of where to go for the next supper newb like me. lol

also 04redline gave me a tune for 2.80 and 60's a base tune. should i just scratch my tune and just start from scratch and use his? yes or no? also ralliartist helped make a tune for me off the tune i already had but just edited it so 30% throttle or less my car would command 16.0 afr for better gas millage. should i scratch that tune and my reg tune from tune time performance and just use the one 04 redline sent me?

·
Registered
961 Posts
ok sounds good...but it also helps to actually understand what your changing so you don't mess something up
thats what you are for sweet cheeks. :) the vid tutorial will be badass. all credit given to 04 redline and whoever else helps me u and ralli or whoever. got a cool program to capture my screen i am working on.

·
Registered
961 Posts

where do i go for this? or what? how do i disable stft? where is closed loop heading?

1 - 20 of 199 Posts