Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
yeah i noticed alot of the time the autosmooth button moves things that i don't want it to. if your carefull with what parts you select if can work pretty well though.
i've got everything dialed in for the most part, just having trouble getting the maf dialed in down low. like from idle to 2000. any tips?

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Are your fuel trims being really inconsistant in the idle range? If so and you are adjusting them correctly you may have a vacuum leak.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
they're consistant, they're just consistantly low. normal driving i have them within 2-3 but at idle ltft consistantly drops to about -5.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Even if you pull a few percent of fuel from the corresponding cells in the MAF table?

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
hadn't done it by hand yet. just using histogram data. but i'm working on adjusting by hand; just takes time lol

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I always do my maf table by hand lol

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
yeah last night i was working on it and it was pissing me off. i just switched to e85 and my e85 afr error histogram wasn't working right, my maf curve was going the wrong way somehow; every time i updated it it got worse. i finally put the curve on from a few tunes ago, ran a log, did it by hand, and presto. almost perfect lol

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Good to hear its working out!

·
Boost get some.
3,260 Posts
yeah last night i was working on it and it was pissing me off. i just switched to e85 and my e85 afr error histogram wasn't working right, my maf curve was going the wrong way somehow; every time i updated it it got worse. i finally put the curve on from a few tunes ago, ran a log, did it by hand, and presto. almost perfect lol
Sounds like you didn't have your e85 afr error setup right. If you try using the one you used on pump gas you get huge error cause the wideband reads pump gas and not e85. I mean what did you set your stoich afr in your tune for? Also what afr did you set the pe table for and what number is in your pe cells?

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
stoich is 9.7002
PE eq is 1.278 currently but i'm changing it to 1.24 to be similar to an 11.8 gas afr

the problem with my pid was just in the function string. had the pids reversed. just stupid mistake. luckily i got it fixed now lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seem to be running into a problem. I've done everything on the how to and seem to be getting odd numbers on my maf error (pic posted below). When cruising around, normal driving, my wideband sits at 10 when i have it commanded at 14.7. Here is the equation i have for the maf error: ((([PID.7101]/(5/8.5))+10)-(100*([USER.7101]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]))/(100*([USER.7101]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]). Note I am using my ac switch for afr logging. I know its working since the scanner matches the wideband. Any ideas on whats going on?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tuning MAF

I have values from MAF Error %.
They are positive and range from .3 to 8 thru the table.
When I copy them to the Output Frequency Table in the tune I should be doing paste special > multiply by % correct?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Once tuned should I be putting the settings back to what they were before VE and MAF tuning? LTFT, Piston Protection, etc.
Did you ever get an answer to this?

·
Registered
93 Posts
For MAF WOT, simply set up another table that records your wideband error once your AFR drops and your boost is over the required boost to hit Power Enrichment. For example, mine is set up to start when my AFR drops below 13 and my boost is above 3 PSI (the boost requirement is to avoid random low spikes during shifting)
quick maf/ve tuning ?
I read somewhere else to do similar setup of the graphs for maf tuning, except it was using the pedal position over a certain amount, so it would only record when it was stable afr (not decel or tip in etc)
Is this just for WOT/PE area? i.e. should the normal afr and ve graphs be setup with only cell hits and no boost/afr/pedal position limiting?
Im trying to dial in VE better and graphing it with just cell hits gave me alot of big areas of spikey difference. I did see in the first posts they said to hand smooth some, is that what needs smoothing the big spikes? or a general all over everything smothing? I did start with the stg2 ve table which Ive read here is pretty off, do I just need to keep going with it and the spikes will level out once I get more data?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Tune MAF PE with WB error and filters set for Commanded AFR and Throttle Position

Tune Closed loop MAF with Short Term trims filtered for Commanded AFR, Fuel Trim Cell, and Throttle Position

Tune VE Open Loop via WB Error

Tune Spark last.

Ensure for MAF tuning that VE is totally disabled, the opposite for VE. In Open Loop, make sure the High Octane table is copied to the low and all adders are zeroed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a how to guide on how to properly dial in air to fuel ratio.
EDIT If anything on this guide isn't making complete sense to you, Do some reading at hptuners.com/forums. This is basically a spoon feeding guide and involves the basics on how to tune your VE/MAF/AFR - what makes or breaks a good tune.
I am not liable if you blow up your car. EDIT
EDIT 2 Pics added. Sorry pics are so small, right click save as. EDIT

1. Disable dfco
2. Disable LTFT
3. Disable STFT
4. Address the open loop table
5. Disable COT & Disable piston protection
6. Dialing in your power enrich table

1. Disable dfco

-to disable DFCO just set the enable temp. to 300 or higher, you don't need to change the other dfco settings. (unless you really want to!)

2. Disable LTFT
-to disable LTFT do the same thing, set the enable (min.) temp. to 300 or higher.

3. Disable STFT
-you should also disable STFT by modifying the 2 tables under the closed loop heading.

-ECT vs Startup ECT - set the whole table to 300
-O2 readiness ECT - set the whole table to 400

4. Address the open loop table
Then there are 4 tables you need to modify under the 'open loop' heading because they can apply a factor to the fueling calcs.

-Gas(Gear) set the whole table to 1.00
-Gas(P/N) set the whole table to 1.00
-IVT Gain set the whole table to 1.00
-EQ Ratio Min set the whole table to 1.00

5. Disable COT & Disable piston protection
While you are calibrating your air and fuel you should also disable Piston Protection and preferably COT too because they can also complicate the fueling calcs.

• Disable Piston Protection by setting it to 8192
  • Disable COT by zeroing out the 2 adder fields, and setting the temp. thresholds to 7400.
(Note that disabling COT can cause damage to your Catalytic converter if you have one!!! because it can be left to overheat!!)

6. Dialing in your power enrich table
- To dial in your power enrich table, or AFR for wide open throttle, Simply divide stioch AFR (14.689 or 14.7) By the AFR you would like to see.
For example in this case well say 11.8.
14.689/11.8 = 1.2448 (usually the first 5 numbers are enough to use)
Now place the 1.2448 in the power enrich tab > eq ratio vs rpm table. Do so across the entire board making your PE curve as flat as possible.

As far as your timing tables go, I would just use the gm factory timing tables as starting points, just to keep things safe.

Now, drive your car around as smoothly as possible without any sudden throttle changes. You want to be as dead on as possible. That will help dial in your cruising mafs ranges. To tune for WOT simply mash the gas.

Use your hpt scanner to read maf error %. Or VE error %
Get the results from the scanner, after you have at least 30 hits on every cell you want to adjust for. Copy the results from the scanner, and paste them to your tune's MAF freq table under the airflow tab. Or the VE table located in the same tab. Use hand smoothing when possible. REFRAIN from using the auto smooth option for all that is holy.

Initially, you would like the maf or VE error % to be as close to 0 as possible. -4 or +4 are not close enough. Make a valid attempt to get it into the 1s at the very least. Also, Its always better to be in the negatives then the positives. So shoot for -1 if possible.

Thank you Omega for submitting this:

Thought I'd add;
To tune the VE, set Engine Diagnostics -> Airflow -> MAF Sensor -> MAF Fail High to 0Hz to disable the MAF
You'll need to copy the high octane table to the low table

To tune MAF, set Engine -> Airflow -> Dynamic Airflow -> High Disable -> to under 500RPM
and Engine -> Airflow -> Dynamic Airflow -> High re-enable -> to 100RPM less than the disable setting to disable the VE.

Thats all there is to it. These same settings should be used whether you are maf tuning or ve tuning. The only difference is whether the maf is enabled or disabled.

Huge thanks to everyone who has helped me with VE and MAF tuning when I didnt know any better. It may have been some time in the past, but you are not forgotten. :bluecap:
Best find yet thanks to all of u .... thank u all.

181 - 199 of 199 Posts