Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, did the dealer tell any of you the Redlines scheduled maintenance? Like when to change the oil and what not. If one of you have a list for it I'd appreciate you letting me know...

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howsitgoing said:
Have you changed your oil yet? It's fun! :rolleyes:
Nope, I've only had the car since last Thursday. I know the oil filter is a pain in the ass. But I got my first two oil changes on the dealer... :D

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
Tom01SC2 said:
Nope, I've only had the car since last Thursday. I know the oil filter is a pain in the ass. But I got my first two oil changes on the dealer... :D

Tom

Hmmm,

I actually just bought my 04 Redline on this past Saturday, and I opted for the 3 year 36k miles maintenence plan.. They change my oil 4 times a year, and change my spark plugs, rotate my tires.... Pretty much basic maintenence, and I also got the Interior and Exterior Protection plan.. Didnt change the payment much, but Im glad I got the piece of mind that the car is going to be well taken care of..


Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
According to the owner's manual, the computer will tell you when it's time to change the oil based on driving conditions and whatnot. It mentioned that you could go for a year without the CHG OIL message, however, you SHOULD change the oil at least once a year.

They told me at the dealer it was every 3K or 3 months but that's not what the manual says.

I have to go to the dealership tomorrow. I found my tranny leaking a little bit of fluid. :mad:

I'll be sure and ask about that while they are working on my car and let you guys know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JPK said:
According to the owner's manual, the computer will tell you when it's time to change the oil based on driving conditions and whatnot. It mentioned that you could go for a year without the CHG OIL message, however, you SHOULD change the oil at least once a year.

They told me at the dealer it was every 3K or 3 months but that's not what the manual says.

I have to go to the dealership tomorrow. I found my tranny leaking a little bit of fluid. :mad:

I'll be sure and ask about that while they are working on my car and let you guys know.
I have some really good buddy's at the dealer, and they still aren't sure about the maintenance. They're still trying to figure it out for me, but from what I've been told GM is once again dragging their feet for Satty owners...

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
Tom01SC2 said:
I have some really good buddy's at the dealer, and they still aren't sure about the maintenance. They're still trying to figure it out for me, but from what I've been told GM is once again dragging their feet for Satty owners...

Tom
Like I said in another thread, seems like Saturn is GM's redheaded stepchild sometimes. :mad:

Well, I took the car in and they found it leaking at the reverse light switch on the tranny. They re-sealed it for me and ordered another switch just in case I find it is still leaking (which would mean it was coming out of the top of the switch, I guess).

I once again asked their "RL Schooled" tech about the oil changes and told him what the manual said. He told me to do the standard 3K or 3 mo. and don't wait for the CHG OIL message.

He also told me, as I believe you have said Tom, that you don't have to remove the S/C to take out the filter. It's a "pain in the ass" but it can be done.

So if they don't have to remove the S/C then Oil changes shouldn't cost $100 a pop then. (fingers crossed)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JPK said:
He also told me, as I believe you have said Tom, that you don't have to remove the S/C to take out the filter. It's a "pain in the ass" but it can be done.

So if they don't have to remove the S/C then Oil changes shouldn't cost $100 a pop then. (fingers crossed)
Yup, I did mention that, lol. But they still run like 100 a pop if you go to the dealer. The reason is they charge like 12 bucks a quart for the synthetic...

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
Tom01SC2 said:
Yup, I did mention that, lol. But they still run like 100 a pop if you go to the dealer. The reason is they charge like 12 bucks a quart for the synthetic...

Tom


Hmmmmm........what if you bring your own oil? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JPK said:
Hmmmmm........what if you bring your own oil? :D
Some dealers are letting their customers do that. I have a hook up at my dealer, so I can do that regardless...

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
yes, you can bring your own oil, actually i've been seeing that you can get the maintenance package, but mine isn't being honored, i'm looking into what i can do to give em the car back because of that, then i want to find it and buy it again! (only if they don't honor it from here on out)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
I was quoted at about $60 dollars for the oil change. My dealer called the service manger while I was sitting there and thats what the manager said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
Cole said:
I was quoted at about $60 dollars for the oil change. My dealer called the service manger while I was sitting there and thats what the manager said.


I was quoted $60 IF you bring your own oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
motorheadkev said:
if you buy your own oil you are half way there.
you can do it yourself it just takes an hour or so.
DIY cost $35.

But what about the warranty? Do you just need to keep track of reciepts and mileage yourself and the dealership can go off of that? I don't want to have a problem later and them say, "You haven't had the oil changed on this thing in a year." :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
JPK said:
But what about the warranty? Do you just need to keep track of reciepts and mileage yourself and the dealership can go off of that? I don't want to have a problem later and them say, "You haven't had the oil changed on this thing in a year." :eek:
Yes, change the oil yourself, it's not very hard, you just have to wiggle out the oil filter element, which is the hardest part of the change.

The warranty states that you just have to keep a journal of service if you do it yourself, so I would just keep the receipts and most importantly, log the oil change in the back of your owners manual. There is a page specifically for service logging, and it is important to write in the date, service performed, and milage there every time you change the oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Gary Perez said:
Yes, change the oil yourself, it's not very hard, you just have to wiggle out the oil filter element, which is the hardest part of the change.

The warranty states that you just have to keep a journal of service if you do it yourself, so I would just keep the receipts and most importantly, log the oil change in the back of your owners manual. There is a page specifically for service logging, and it is important to write in the date, service performed, and milage there every time you change the oil.

where??? all i saw was a notes page???maybe i missed something.

i guess the notes page will work
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
motorheadkev said:
where??? all i saw was a notes page???maybe i missed something.

i guess the notes page will work
:D
I'm just using the note pages in the back of the manual to keep a log of maintenance I do myself. I'm also keeping all the reciepts for oil and filters etc.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top