Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's crazy and wrong ;) but I want to convert a 2004 Ion Redline to an Automatic. Is this even possible and if so I know it would be expensive in the thousands, but how expensive roughly? It's got a cobalt SS engine in it. Feel free to rage on me for wanting to convert it, but I bought the car for how it looks and I prefer automatics, so if I can't convert it I'll just resell it.

-LowIQRageMonster

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I dont think you can convert it with out a lot of cost. I dont think there is an auto trans that will bolt up so you are looking at custom mounting, connecter and axels. Not to mention having to deal with the tcu and wiring and intergration

·
Super Moderator
1,810 Posts
It will physically bolt up and mount. Switching to auto mounts, auto axles, linkage, etc.
The wiring will be the hardest part. Easiest way would be an aftermarket trans controller.

Reactions: LowIQRageMonster

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I found the solution, which is to just get an automatic ION 3 Quad Cpe. Looks exactly like the redline. Or alternatively would the transmission from that car bolt up to this one no problem?

·
Registered
2004 saturn ion redline and 2002 subaru impreza wagon
14 Posts
if you do it take lots of pics and keep track of cost i would consider doing it if it works good a custom high stall converter and there is potential for a consistant drag setup there autos rule the drag strip.Its the bracket racer et series part of me thinking i could dominate the sport compact class with a auto setup in a redline.keep updates coming on what you figure out and if you do it or not

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
99 Posts
I think I found the solution, which is to just get an automatic ION 3 Quad Cpe. Looks exactly like the redline. Or alternatively would the transmission from that car bolt up to this one no problem?
Honestly if you're not a fan of the manuals I'd sell the Redline and get a coupe. Not many Redlines left.

You could always go the Redline appearance route with the coupe as that would be easier than hacking and modifying a Redline. The bumper covers, side skirts will all swap over on a base auto coupe you just won't have the LSJ which doesn't sounds like a problem for you

I believe if you swapped hubs to the 5 lug, you could even run the Redline wheels

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
99 Posts
That's what I'm going to do, a family member wants to buy this one from me and then I'll get the coupe and do the wheels like you said. I also posted it on these selling forums in case I can get a better price.
Probably better off selling locally. Posting here, members know the ins and outs of these cars and might offer lower. 18-30yr olds will go crazy for these cars

1 - 9 of 9 Posts