Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it seems that ALOT of you redline owners are married! How many of your wives drive the RL daily? My wife is killing me with this "I want a redline" talk everyday! Originally she wanted the Vue RL. I honestly like it better than the Ion even though there is no SC, it's an auto, and personally I thinki it's overpriced. She really wants the 5spd so we looked at the Ion.

So I come to this forum and start reading because we are most likely getting an '06 Ion RL when they come out. After reading alot of your posts about the Ion i am kinda scared to buy on! It seems like you've all had quite a bit of trouble. Alot of you have had to get towed to the dealer more than once! In all honesty, is this car going to be reliable for my wife if I get deployed and can't be here if it breaks down? I've got an F250 and the SL2 as backup but I don't want her to get stranded somewhere. Is it worth it guys?

Josh

·
Registered
11 Posts
To be very honest the car only seems to have problems it you run it hard. My wife run's our 04 RL every day and has had no problems. And if there is any problem you will most lickly use the roadside assistance at no charge and get a loaner for a few day's while the repairs are being done.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
nothing but good times in my 04 redline, saturn service is aweasome as well.

my future wife drives mine occasionaly, but always with me in it. its more of a rolor coaster her her than a car, lol. she drives it for something fun to do, she wouldnt want to drive it daily, she likes her auto ion.

shes doing really good at driving stick, she only took like 1\32's off my clutch : )

keith-

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I had one problem, it was the recall. NONE since, not even a little. I don't think there's quite as many people as you think. You just have to remember that people are not going to post "My Intercooler Works Normal" or "Car Ran Great Today". You ARE going to hear about it for days when someone has a problem with it though. In fact, when I had mine worked on, it was driving just fine. It did stall on the highway at 40mph, wouldn't start for about 5 min, and then ran perfect. I just knew that wasn't supposed to happen.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
sgoodhope said:
To be very honest the car only seems to have problems it you run it hard. My wife run's our 04 RL every day and has had no problems. And if there is any problem you will most lickly use the roadside assistance at no charge and get a loaner for a few day's while the repairs are being done.
ya.. I think I'm less worried about the strandedness as i am about the headaches! haha

Sp00ner said:
I had one problem, it was the recall. NONE since, not even a little. I don't think there's quite as many people as you think. You just have to remember that people are not going to post "My Intercooler Works Normal" or "Car Ran Great Today". You ARE going to hear about it for days when someone has a problem with it though. In fact, when I had mine worked on, it was driving just fine. It did stall on the highway at 40mph, wouldn't start for about 5 min, and then ran perfect. I just knew that wasn't supposed to happen.
Good point

Josh

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, my second question... I have an 8 month old Italian Mastiff, will she fit in the back seat? This is one of my selling points for the Vue. hse's 8 months old and weighs 100lbs already!

Josh

·
Registered
252 Posts
i wouldnt want a big dog in the back of any small car...
and that dog will get lots bigger...

just for that i would pick the any suv over any small car. especially if you take the dog alot of places.

Xau

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We do take the dog with us alot, but that's why we have the crew cab F250. Plenty of room for her in there. I just need to know if she'd fit if she needed to go to the Vet or something and I was at work.

Josh

·
Registered
293 Posts
When it comes to the reliability of the Ion Redline (or ANY car for that matter), you CANNOT base your judgment on message forums like this. Generally speaking, you have to remember that this is a small group of enthusiasts that beat the snot out of their cars, and also seek answers for any issues they may have. When the car is reliable, you never hear about it here because everything is hunky-dory, right?

Now, that being said, we've had great luck with our Redline. Any issues have been minor and fixed quickly by Saturn of Daytona. My wife-in-8-days drives it daily and loves it. I try my best to drive it when I can, too...and I have the SS as a daily driver. The Ion Redline is comfortable, roomy, and the quad coupe design is very useful. Plus, it's just fun as shit. ;) I'm actually waiting to get a 3rd car so I can finally retire the Camaro to a garage and inherit the Redline as my daily driver. :D

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I can assure you that the dog will fit. I'm not sure how comfy, but I'm sure it will. My German Shepard/Great Pyranese mix will. Now, she's not as beefy as your dog, I'm sure a little smaller of a frame as well, but the Mastiff should fit. She's about 90lbs now, I just don't do it because of the leather seats...

Short of buying a 4-door, or an RX-8, you're not gonna find a car that's easier to get a dog into either. Just pop the back quad door, it can hop right in...

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
ouch dog claws on RL seats, thats a no no

keith-

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SilverRedLine04 said:
ouch dog claws on RL seats, thats a no no

keith-
Ya, I have a seat cover for the back seat of the truck just to cover the leather. She really wouldn't be in the Rl very often. Probably the most likely time she'd be in there is if we went home to PA. OKC-PA 1175mi. What kind of MPG are you guys getting? The next vehicle we buy has GOT to get decent MPG for those long trips! It costs me about $400 round trip in the truck. That's with diesel prices around $2.20 and getting about 17-18mpg hw.

Josh

·
Registered
674 Posts
The RL is my daily driver and my wife drives the SHO.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
I usually get about 26-30 mpg and thats if i dont floor it all the time.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am a wife and the RL is MY CAR...

My husband drives it occasionally but when it comes time to making it look perdy, I won't let him touch it. Leave all the wheel scrubbing and waxing to me!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm the wife and the RL is mine, the hubby drives an 04 Mazda 6S.

Our old Taurus aspired to be a SHO :) It was a 1987 Taurus MT-5, not many made, and lasted well over 250,000 miles. We got rid of her when we got the 6.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pclear9061 said:
I usually get about 26-30 mpg and thats if i dont floor it all the time.
Dang, I didn't think the RL got that good mileage! guess maybe it's because I have been driving my truck for so long, 13city 17 highway diesel. My SL gets probably 24 city and 30 highway, but it has 4 batteries in the trunk and a speaker box big enough to replace the rear seat. That's alot of extra weight!

I tried talking my wife into a used Sti or something with AWD. She wanted nothing of it. "I want a RL.. nothing else" haha

Josh

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
The RL is the best car that ive had in my 4 years of 10 different cars and i can tell you that this one will last a long time.

·
Registered
453 Posts
10k miles and no problems at all. Only thing its been to the dealer for was that recall and oil changes.
I'm not married, but I do have a boyfriend (im the female), and I'm told on a daily basis that I'm too obsessed with my car (although he did help me install that intake). About once a week I spend 5+ hours washing it inside and out. If he gets jealous the RL's getting more attention, I just remind him who talked me into buying it in the first place ;)

You will not be dissapointed with this car. I have to warn you though, you will be addicted to making it even faster :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts