Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I'm 2 weeks away from starting my new job, moving back to my home state (Mass), and am done with college (in New Hampshire). My job is going to be in sales and I currently have a 1990 Mustang LX 5.0 with mods done that I probably shouldn't have (supercharger, loud exhaust, gears). I bought the car as something to drive daily since I had a truck before. But the more I drive the car, I want something newer that will be good to drive on a daily basis. So tell me your horror stories, and daily driver opinions as I may be able to get a great deal on one. Thanks.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I love the thing. It's by far the first brand spaking new 'sports' car that I've bought. I've driven nothing but used Camaros before this car, well I did buy a brand new SC2 in 2001.

There are some issues. The fit and finish could be questioned. The drivetrain has some quirks in it. Few noises, little jerky, etc. All in all I really like the car. I'll admit that there could have been some better quality control. I've head a horror story or two about these things, but I've heard them about alot of cars. I drive the thing every day, work and back. Sometimes it dosen't even get started on the weekends. I had one problem with it, that was part of a recall.

None of the fit and finish issues bother me, I paid $19,000 with all the taxes and finance charges, and there's nothing that could touch it in the price range. The Dodge dealer wanted almost $5,000 more for an SRT4 at the time. The sticker prices were the same though, but Saturn came WAYYYY down on their price with 'incentives'. I had a Saturn before, and I knew there was not going to be a ton of them out, and the Saturn I had before was solid. For not being a sports car, I beat the shit out of it, never broke anything other than the brakes.

So the only cars to choose between right now are the Cobalt, Redline, and the SRT4. Whichever car you can get the best deal on right now, is the way to go. I prefer the handling of the Cobalt/Redline over the SRT, but the torque of the SRT is nice. If it's main goal is a daily driver to complement your 5.0, you can't go wrong with either, but I bet you can get the Redline cheaper than either of the other two...

·
Registered
754 Posts
We are going to be bias here and I am coming from a base vibe automatic to the redline so there is a lot of difference in power and handling and just general fun driving.You coming from a supercharged mustang to a redline might be a letdown.Hey I think the redline is great but it depends on what you are coming from I am happy.....you may not be so happy because of what you drive now.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
the cobalt's are selling for over sticker here right now like 2-3000 over sticker!!!!!! the srt-4 good luck as far as financing it goes the banks dont want to finance that car. and insurance is higher on it than the cobalt or the redline. the redline insurance is cheaper than the cobalt. and as stated above you can get the redline right now with 1000$ hot button and 0.0-2.9% financing also!!! they are offering this also on the cobalt but they price of the car is much more. i paid just under 21K for mine after rebates plus gap insurance (you never know) but i have everythig but side air bags. this was tax tags and all. and the redline cobalt are so much more civilized to drive than the srt i really like the srt and maybe would have ended up with one if the rates on it were better. but it is much more raw to drive every day where as the redline is really comfy and nice to drive all the time. i assume the cobalt would be the same but i have only sat in them not been able to get a drive in yet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm more concerned about the way it drives rather than speed. If its as quick as my car was stock-or quicker, than thats fine. I'm hoping to be able to get a new one for $17-18k. I plan on selling the mustang and using that money as a downpayment and for some payments. How does the insurance compare to the SRT4?

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
As like everyone else who has posted, I love the car. This is the first car that I have bought from a dealer so it is really my first new car. The fit and finish did annoy me for the first little while, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that this ain't a show car (could be if you spent money) and everyone who has been in it has not noticed a thing. For the price I paid, I wasn't expecting to have top notch quality and expected some things to go wrong. The one thing that really bothers me is the tranny noise (the gears meshing or whatever we came to on what the noise is). When I hear it, it annoys me as I know that its just not my car doing it and other models have this same problem....so I just turn up the volume on the radio and problem solved. But coming from a 4-spd tercel to a 5-spd cavy to this, big difference in performance. I can take 90 degree residental corners at around 55km/h with no tire noise. If your looking for torque and brute power with a good aftermarket NOW go with a SRT-4. If your willing to wait, ours is coming.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
bikeluver43 said:
I'm more concerned about the way it drives rather than speed. If its as quick as my car was stock-or quicker, than thats fine. I'm hoping to be able to get a new one for $17-18k. I plan on selling the mustang and using that money as a downpayment and for some payments. How does the insurance compare to the SRT4?
Where I live here in Canada, my insurance is around the same as the SRT-4. Since they didn't know what a "Red Line" was, they just put it under a QC which is classified as a 4-door 4-banger so its pretty cheap. The SRT-4 is in the same category but a little pricer as its considered the "sports" model which they see as a more likely car to be in a car accident....lol. Again this is only where I live.

Sorry for double post..I get carried away when talking about these cars :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whats the tranny noise? Grinding or just a little whine? I'm very interested, and honestly even a base neon seems like a really nice solid car compared to the cars I've been driving-they've all been 10+ year old cars. I actually like the way econo cars drive and handle.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i don't get the tranny noise, unless it's from the shift linkage when you shift, but that should be normal i guess, unless they didn't grease something up right...

i love the car, drive it in rush hour twice a day, and when me and the woman go out, we're in my car (unless i'm drinking that night, then we use the alero).

the part i love most about it, is that during daily driving, it's comfy and livable, but when you want to get on it, the seats are supportive, the suspension can handle what you throw at it (within reason) and she's got the balls to back it all up. sure, there are faster cars, more refined cars, but you'll be gettin' door dings in no time unless your anal about where you park or park like the jackasses that take up 2-3 spaces...

get one while they still have plastic panels, it's a must if you ask me. sure the cobalt might be a bit more refined on the inside, but you're going to pay more for one as i'm sure the demand for them has skyrocketed recently, and i also like the looks of the redline more.

get a redline

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
i couldnt be happier with it.....well, yes i could, but not without being selfish and picky.

get it, you will NOT be disappointed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Go for it!!!!!!!!!!

I came from a Mustang backgroud as well. Had a 66 Fastback (550+HP), an 84 GT and my last one an 88 5.0 (420+HP). I've had a couple of other cars and trucks since selling my '88. The redline is a real fun little car to drive, it handles really well in the twisties and on the open highway. It has lots of pickup for zipping around traffic and the brakes are some of the better ones I have had. If you can get a deal on it go for it!!! IMHO!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So as a daily driver the car is comfortable and has good manners until you step on it. I've already made a thread about gas mileage and was pleasantly surprised. So what are issues you are all having with it? Any engine problems, or annoyances that come up daily? How is the service with these cars-and I mean Saturn and how they react to fixing the car for you? I must say, I spoke on the phone to a saleswomen yesturday and she was extremelly nice and even offered to help sell my car for me-put the word out to people she knows. I've never had a salesperson say that before or be so nice, it really made a good impression.

·
Registered
451 Posts
This is posted this in another thread, but here's my $.02:

I've had my Ion for just over 2 months and I'm loving every minute of the driving experience. I haven't had any reliability problems (not that I'm expecting any), and the the only build quailty issue that I've noticed is the somewhat larger gaps needed for the plastic body panels.

Some Pros and Cons:

Positives:
-Acceleration (0-60mph in 6.3s with 200 ft.lbs. of torque)
-Tight handling (track-tuned at Nurburging)
-Excellent brakes if I get in trouble (60-0mph in 119ft)
-Seats that hold me in through corners (Recaro)
-Four door functionality (with rear suicide doors) with two door style
-Cavernous trunk (largest in class)
-Dent resistant panels you can take a baseball bat to
-Excellent Sales & Service
-Good Sales Incentives (You may want to comparison shop)
-Having a different ride from nearly everyone else

Negatives:
-Could use More aftermarket support
-Premium Gas required (depends on how you drive)
-Would like to be able to Swap the fuel and tachometer gauges in centre mounted pod (evidently it was an obscuration concern)

Happy Shopping!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah my biggest complaint is the position of the gauges. I think I may test drive one this weekend. Hows the stereo in them? Anything I should pay special attention to during the test drive? I like the car a lot, and hopefully will love the drive. Its a toss up between a used SRT4 and a new/used Redline as its hard to find them used.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Id sell you mine redline how it sits. Its in the forsale area for 19500.

The stock stereo is alright nothing to brag about. The upgraded system still misses quite a bit. When you go all aftermarket then it Nice...
The stock ride height is a bit of a 4x4 so I dropped and well worth it.

Road manners all depends on the gear you are in. You can gradually pass someone or you can downshift and dominate someone as well. My car is a little louder when you do that becuase of the Dual Exhaust but hey I like the way it looks.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I think the stereo, stock, is GREAT. I have the advanced audio, which is a 160-200W amp, and 6 speakers, nothing special. It does play mp3s, which is pretty cool, and there's the 6-disc in-dash option. I like it, and I listen to a lot of underground hip-hop, alternative-rock/metal stuff. The bass is more than acceptable, and the highs are pretty good. GoofyGuy kept his stock speakers, I believe, and the amp, when he put in the rest of his stereo. I had a BIG stereo in my Camaro, and no, this is not a bamin system, but for stock, it's real good...

Edited: Or maybe not...

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Redlines are aweasome cars

make sure you get a moon roof

if you dont plan on putting in a better cd player, get the 6 disk
and the advanced audio is good as well.

my car didnt have the advanced audio 6 speaker system, but today im getting tweeters put in, so im making my own advanced audio, it will cost a hell of alot more, lol. But it will be the best.

keith-

fun fun car to own, lots of stares, fast as hell.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
stock nothing. Hell i ever rewired all of the bitches. Infinitys in the doors and the deck my man and 3 kappa perfects in the trunk.

sunroof is good to I love and abuse mine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts