Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever race an RX8? I am just curious cause everybody down in Dearborn drives them around like they are bad as hell. I never get a chance to race one because of traffic or the guy turns off the road. Every single day it seems there is a different one ridding my ass. Today I went buy one on an open four lane road (Rotunda) and kinda reved my engine a bit as I went buy him but he didnt seem to notice. All of the sudden I am watching my rear view and I see him gunning it and so I get ready and he just cuts over behind me and rides my ass. WTF!!!
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
They SHOULD be pretty quick, I'm pretty sure he would eat ya up. Not positive, but you have to BEAT the power out of them. 9,000ish redline on those suckers, and they have to scream to make the power. Plus, it's a RWD sports coupe, with VERY good handling. If the guy knows how to drive it, he's gonna be ahead of you, not sure by how much, but he should be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
710 Posts
In my opinion

I think it would be a very good race to be honest. 9000 Rpm redline= very little torque. The handling on that thing is stellar though but unless your on a road course i think the Redline stands a good chance. I may be wrong but they are listed at 238 horsepower? something like that but i saw a dyno of one in a magazine for a project car and it only dynoed like 197 or something like that. So it would be a nice little race.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Redline686 said:
I think it would be a very good race to be honest. 9000 Rpm redline= very little torque. The handling on that thing is stellar though but unless your on a road course i think the Redline stands a good chance. I may be wrong but they are listed at 238 horsepower? something like that but i saw a dyno of one in a magazine for a project car and it only dynoed like 197 or something like that. So it would be a nice little race.
238 is the sports model, 197 hp is the one with the automatic.

I test drove one a couple of weeks ago and it handles better than anything I have ever driven. But you have to really rev it to go. I wasn't impressed, although I wanted to be. I still have my redline. . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
shaneathan said:
238 is the sports model, 197 hp is the one with the automatic.

I test drove one a couple of weeks ago and it handles better than anything I have ever driven. But you have to really rev it to go. I wasn't impressed, although I wanted to be. I still have my redline. . .
I saw one the other day, and IMHO, they are a really good looking car. I pulled hard on him on the straight-away getting on the highway wanting to get some play. Man, that biotch took the offramp like a F'n Ferrari. I pulled hard to catch up, but ran out of road to get a real race. I have a lot of respect for the Mazda's though.....

-SpikemanRL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,787 Posts
There are 2 different engines for the car. The smaller one is an easy defeat (I know a guy who is selling one because I beat him by A LOT) and yes the less powerful engine does come with a stick option. The 238hp one, I have no idea. I would assume we could get a jump on them (they being RWD, with almost no torque) and then I have no idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
ok guys well today i raced one, now on the line when the light was still red i would have said manual because he did to a racing launch like hell, and it worked ok for him, but after i got into second i pulled away hard, (he did not give up keep reading) well after having about 4 cars on him i shut down shifted into 4th and than notcied he was still comming so just floored it, now he did pass me because i was going like 70 in 4th and not really accelerating fast at all but after i got out of the range i shoud have been in 3rd for he was starting to not pull away as fast. I took it to the end of 4th about 110 i think actaully so more like 6k range and shut down for good he did not even slow down just keep going i was like o well wanted to find out what it was. ( because of this post) now i do know my rx-8's its my girls favorite car (she thinks its pretty) well all i know is that i think if i kept going i would have won, but i can tell u this we will take them to the end of second at least :)

deffently looked like his car was handling the high speeds better tho he had to change lanes quite fast after i shut down and he went through the traffic (i like to know what i can beat and what i can weave) fun not stupid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
I think an RX-8 would destroy an RL on a road course (which isn't saying much because the RL's handling is ok at best), but in a straight line it would be the RL all the way, no contest. Look at an RX-8 dyno chart. They're overrated from the factory (the one I saw was just under 180whp, 25+% drivetrain loss on a RWD car? I don't think so) and they make NO power under the curve. Manufacturer rated peak power doesn't win races.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
planetSlowCar1 said:
I think an RX-8 would destroy an RL on a road course (which isn't saying much because the RL's handling is ok at best), but in a straight line it would be the RL all the way, no contest. Look at an RX-8 dyno chart. They're overrated from the factory (the one I saw was just under 180whp, 25+% drivetrain loss on a RWD car? I don't think so) and they make NO power under the curve. Manufacturer rated peak power doesn't win races.
I agree that an RX-8 would destroy us an almost anything on a road course. But I disagree that our handling is o.k. at best. I would say our handling is quite good. I would say the srt-4 has ok handling at best, which is why I'm in a redline. . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
our cars handeling is great for the kind of car it is, can not compair it to RWD cars that are made for the track but it sure is better than an SRT, well the SRT4 at least
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
XeroState said:
There are 2 different engines for the car. The smaller one is an easy defeat (I know a guy who is selling one because I beat him by A LOT) and yes the less powerful engine does come with a stick option. The 238hp one, I have no idea. I would assume we could get a jump on them (they being RWD, with almost no torque) and then I have no idea.
What are you talking about? The RX-8 is a 1.3 litre, there arent 2 engines for it. The 238 hp engine is the 6 SPEED ONLY!! The automatic makes 197 and you cannot get it in a manual. The reason the auto is so much less is because it can only rev to 7200 rpms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
clownhair said:
What are you talking about? The RX-8 is a 1.3 litre, there arent 2 engines for it. The 238 hp engine is the 6 SPEED ONLY!! The automatic makes 197 and you cannot get it in a manual. The reason the auto is so much less is because it can only rev to 7200 rpms.
hit the nail on the head (i'm liking that today)

and our cars are basically muscle cars, might be fun on a track, but no car without 4 wheel independent suspension really belongs on a track anyways. though GM did one hell of a job getting us to where we are, that's for damn sure. (note: i love the handling of our car, but even mentioning a comparison between the RX8 and us is recockulous, and trying to envision the RX8 as a drag queen is just as bad. i feel sorry for those that try to make them so, as that is not their intended use. same with the S2000)
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
That's the problem with car comparisons, most of the time people are comparing cars in situations that they aren't designed for. VERY few cars are built to drag race out of the factory. 10-20 seconds shows very little about the abilities of the car on the strip. MOST cars should be on a race course, at least ones that most of us are talking about. Look at the people that make the comparisons, SRT guys always want to talk about 1/4 time times. WRX guys want to debate launches, and we want to talk about on the road courses... it's where the individual cars excel, that people want to compare...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
also, remember that the RX-8 retails for about $28000 base for the one that's actually worth getting(6sp manual) and the RL starts at about $21,500 without all the known discounts. I look at a RX-8 that already had a few options on it retail for about $30000 and I got em down to about $28000 and I got my RL with some cool options that I really wanted(side airbags, premium sound, dealer installed remote starter) for $17,500. So there you go you can't really compared this two cars they are not in the same league for about at least 10k even though the RL dyno's higher than the RX-8 the RX-8 is a great car on its own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
You should never lose to a RX-8. They are way over rated. They are low 15 second cars, high 14s at best. I have tried to race a few on the highway but they total ignored me. I saw one dyno 168hp at the wheels, not to mention they have zero torque and all they're power is way up into the RPM band. Trust me, you guys have nothing to fear from them. I actual think its funny people bought these for 29 to 30k expecting a performance car and they are getting beat by cars that cost 10k less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts
There was a blue RX-8 on the expressway the other day while I was going to work, it looked really nice too. I would deff love to run one to see how i would keep up.

The tracks are starting to get some attention around here, so hopefully we get some nice cars out this season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Mazda says the Rx8 cannot be dynoe'd like other cars. The Ecu will defeat it and put the car into limp node because it can sense a non road conditon. The rx8 6 sp should easily stay with the RL. I Don't think either will pull much on each other with equal drivers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Rice-a-roni said:
the rx8 is slow and over rated in the hp department. I read on their own forums of a guy getting beat by a toyota solara. weeeeak.
Strange you showld say you read that since the RX8 forum does not allow or have a kill section or allow kill threads
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
VELOCITY said:
Mazda says the Rx8 cannot be dynoe'd like other cars. The Ecu will defeat it and put the car into limp node because it can sense a non road conditon. The rx8 6 sp should easily stay with the RL. I Don't think either will pull much on each other with equal drivers.
i'm sure in limp mode they'd put down 170 to the wheels...
 
1 - 20 of 148 Posts
Top