Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Here... it was 4... lol
It was 13 here yesterday morning. And snow on the ground. Not much though. Guess we were too east in the mid-west to get 'pwnd' as badly. :lol:

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
I was on vacation this weekend and my furnace shut off. When I got home the thermometer on the thermostat read 48 F. I went upstairs (where it's always a lot colder in the winter- old house) and check my computer. The cpu was idle at 8 C. I thought that was pretty funny, considering it's a 25% overclock. :)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
That happened to us one Christmas. We left for a couple days and the furnace died. It was 40deg in the living room, and pipes had frozen all over the place.

Made for a very cold Christmas.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
handyjoe said:
That happened to us one Christmas. We left for a couple days and the furnace died. It was 40deg in the living room, and pipes had frozen all over the place. Made for a very cold Christmas.
I rent a old cottage that really wasn't meant for year-round occupancy. The furnace is from 1932, an original steam boiler, with all the original radiators, etc. They all leak water, so I have to fill the boiler every 2-4 days, depending on how often the furnace has to kick in. It must have ran out of water yesterday around noon or so. No pipes froze, no damage done. The landlord is supposed to be calling me about when the forced-air system is being installed, afterwhich, I'll actually have a usuable basement instead of the two 250 gallon fuel oil #2 tanks, huge boiler, and massage amount of plumbing. If only it wasn't all wrapped in Asbestos, it would have been gone by now. The disposal of that crap is more than the new furnace and installation, combined.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
shab said:
If only it wasn't all wrapped in Asbestos, it would have been gone by now.
thats what dumpsters behind Home Depot are for...lol...just get the day laborers to dump it for you (that way you dont get caught). Thats how my landlord did the ceilings here.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
socalsilverRL said:
thats what dumpsters behind Home Depot are for...lol...just get the day laborers to dump it for you (that way you dont get caught). Thats how my landlord did the ceilings here.
I suggested something similiar. My suggestion was ignored.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
^^^damn hippy environmentalists!...

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Shabodah said:
...The landlord is supposed to be calling me about when the forced-air system is being installed...
turbo or supercharger?

sorry couldn't resist :D this being RLF & all.... hehe

·
Registered
889 Posts
Dude....no....seriously, Asbestos is nothing to mess with. And it wouldn't matter where you dumped it. If you didn't remove it from the house properly, you'd all end up with lung cancer anyways. You might actually look into local laws and such, or local EPA regulations, because I bet that the guy probably isn't legally allowed to be renting a place out that has asbestos from that long ago. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
^^^in my lease it says that houses built before 1960 are known to contain asbestos and lead paint. To move in, i had to sign a waiver that I will not sue for mesothelioma or lead poisoning...lol
godamn lawyers...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Holy crap man....I woulda found a different house, lol

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
socalsilverRL said:
^^^in my lease it says that houses built before 1960 are known to contain asbestos and lead paint. To move in, i had to sign a waiver that I will not sue for mesothelioma or lead poisoning...lol
godamn lawyers...
that explains a lot...

j/k :)
actually pretty common - i've had to do that a few times.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
SM said:
Holy crap man....I woulda found a different house, lol
yea...except owning a pit bull makes the selection of homes pretty slim...
and all homes around Costa Mesa are pre 1950. Its mostly old military-officer style housing...
Damn you bc3tech!...lol, ill get you back, dont worry ;) lol

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
I'm familiar with working with fiberglass and figured I'd use more precautions than if I were, but in the end, it's his house, so it should be his problem, anyway. It's not against the law to rent a house here with Asbestos, although they do leave the door open for sueing if you get lung cancer from it. Kinda hard thing to prove, though.

As far as getting another house goes, It's hard to find a house on a lake with a pier and with a garage in the woods for the $775 a month rent I pay.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
^^^damn $775/mo!?!?!?! I pay $1675/mo...I could own 3 houses in Nowheresville, Midwest for that...

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
socalsilverRL said:
^^^damn $775/mo!?!?!?! I pay $1675/mo...I could own 3 houses in Nowheresville, Midwest for that...
I rented an efficiency apartment in Elk Mound, WI (it's near Eau Claire ask Eco-Mod) for $180 a month in 2004. :) That included heat and water, but not electricity, lol.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
^^^damn...you guys suck!...the only time I payed less than $800/mo in rent...was when I lived in a 3bed/3bath house that was barely 1,400 sq/ft (thats including the garage/3rd bedroom) with 6 other guys. I only had to pay $260/mo...
ever since then, tho, I have to live with onle one or 2 other roomates...that can afford their own room. No more sharing for me. Rent is up the a$$ out here...

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
i lived in DC for a little under 1.5yrs and was paying $1760/mo for 1400sqft 2bed/1.75ba townhome rent. was a very nice place in a very nice area... but yeah, that was right after i moved outta my place in iowa that i had for $540/mo... lol

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
^^^that is what i just moved out of...that sounds like how the rent is out here. that was DC metro area?...i hear the areas around that are waaaaaay cheaper. (but, waaay scary)
I gotta find me a good paying job, somwhere where property values are still low....bwahahahah that makes me laugh...
My same place that I just moved out of (i was only there for 6months...) is now renting for $1950...FOR A 2bed/1bath!! (the backyard is the biggest in Costa mesa tho...)

41 - 60 of 66 Posts