Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just raced the wrx at my school...as far as i can see it he was my only true competition at my school..so if there was any way i could beat him i would have the fastest car at my school...i know it is modified..at least exhaust and blow off valve im not sure of anything else...we line up and on the 3rd honk we take off..i get a good lauch and take him off the line..then his turbo kicks in..by the end..about a 1/4 mile..he beats me by about 1 1/2 car. i know they run a low 14 second 1/4..is this a reasonable diffrence or do u think he had more mods?...and after the cold air and boost mod i think i could take him or maybe just cold air?...next is the 6 cyl gti on my list :D ...
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Who knows what he has, that's not important, you need more, that's what is. Get the intake!! That's 14hp according to K&N. It's hard to get them off the line, you might have got him on the jump 'cause he bogged with all 4 wheels turning, gave it too much gas or something. Were you actually 100% on the gas, or were you still feathering it when you heard that thing coming? If he really had you by a car and a half in roughly a 1/4 mile, that's not too bad, maybe a couple of tenths? Not really sure. He starts out pretty even with you, all things considered. I've only been in a semi-race with one, we didn't line up together, and it wasn't really 100% all the way until a winner was declared. More of a 'spirited drive' through a little traffic and then into the clear for maybe 1/2 a mile. So whatever he has done to his car, you need to match and out drive him the next time. Intake, exhaust, maybe one or two other small things... who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on the take off i was good with the equal amount of gas and clutch..but after first i didnt floor it in second or third and in fourth when i hit it...i have found myself doing this alot..i dont know why!..a bad habit i need to take care of...but needless to say i was at least 85% on the gas...it was a good race..the guy was cool about it to..i have heard rumors that he has an upgraded turbo..could this be true?...how could i tell..
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
85%?????? What are you thinking??? Push that shit to the floor! 1st is the only gear that I have to deal with, now that it's 70 outside, even before it was only 1st and 2nd. If you were that close, and you weren't hitting it 100%, you better take your ass back there and race him again! There's no way you're gonna win any race with a car as fast as your own by going at it 1/2 assed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hopefully i can run him again...this time at night (so my i can see my shiftlight easily) and with a video camera...he wanted to video tape it the first time but the guy with the camera wasnt there and the wrx guy had to be at work soon..ill ask him and see if he wants to go again...this time ill go full out hopefully... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
888 Posts
I am a WRX owner so i thought i would throw in a little info for you guys. A stock wrx is good for a [email protected] with a perfect run destroying the trans off the launch. Most good drivers run low 14s at 94 or so mph. Stock a wrx isn't really fast from a roll, the awd hurts the car off a roll really bad, but with a great driver a 0-60 in 5.4 seconds can be had. Now when you start modding the wrx you can get alot of power out of it. The car comes with 3 cats so a full turbo back exhaust with an up-pipe really helps the car out alot, an aftermarket bov is proven to hurt the wrx's performance. With a turboback exhaust and a chip the wrx is good for a [email protected] again with a perfect run. If you throw on a lightweight pulley, and an uppipe you can drop that number maybe to a 13.2. Any aftermarket turbo, if tuned properly is going to get the wrx into the 12s with a good driver. The wrx is a capable car, but 9 times out of 10 there isn't a capable driver behind the wheel.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
elohdaeh78 said:
I am a WRX owner so i thought i would throw in a little info for you guys. A stock wrx is good for a [email protected] with a perfect run destroying the trans off the launch. Most good drivers run low 14s at 94 or so mph. Stock a wrx isn't really fast from a roll, the awd hurts the car off a roll really bad, but with a great driver a 0-60 in 5.4 seconds can be had. Now when you start modding the wrx you can get alot of power out of it. The car comes with 3 cats so a full turbo back exhaust with an up-pipe really helps the car out alot, an aftermarket bov is proven to hurt the wrx's performance. With a turboback exhaust and a chip the wrx is good for a [email protected] again with a perfect run. If you throw on a lightweight pulley, and an uppipe you can drop that number maybe to a 13.2. Any aftermarket turbo, if tuned properly is going to get the wrx into the 12s with a good driver. The wrx is a capable car, but 9 times out of 10 there isn't a capable driver behind the wheel.
If everything in his story is the truth, would you agree that the WRX can't be very modded, if at all? Seems like either the driver would have to be VERY bad, to not pull more on a stock Redline. I don't know much about the WRX's anymore, I used to love them, BEFORE they had the turbo and the new design. Pretty funny, because people used to make fun of me for liking that car, 'It's just a Subaru', people would say. Yea, now look at what people say...

Anyway, if everything here is true, it seems to me like he can't have much done to that car, or he can't drive at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
he got a pretty bad lauch is what he told me..obviously he did b/c i pulled about a car i think (first time i ever looked behind me in a race to see a car :D ). then he took a car and a half on me in the end..i am gunna run him from a stop again and a roll..i think from a roll he will be surprised..i havnt practiced much from a roll..anyone got any tips..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
redlineRACER said:
i havnt practiced much from a roll..anyone got any tips..
i love racing from a roll i seem to push so hard on my gas pedal when I race I get a cramp in my leg. but anyhow IMO start it in 2nd gear not first because it is so short that I always lose traction and in turn time. 2nd gear never breaks the tires for me just launches me into hyperdrive :eek: . but just make it so you start the rolling race at 4500 RPMs in 2nd. Just my experience I'm no pro driver but I know what gear to down shift or roll by just practicing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
888 Posts
Sp00ner said:
If everything in his story is the truth, would you agree that the WRX can't be very modded, if at all? Seems like either the driver would have to be VERY bad, to not pull more on a stock Redline. I don't know much about the WRX's anymore, I used to love them, BEFORE they had the turbo and the new design. Pretty funny, because people used to make fun of me for liking that car, 'It's just a Subaru', people would say. Yea, now look at what people say...

Anyway, if everything here is true, it seems to me like he can't have much done to that car, or he can't drive at all.
The wrx was not stock. A stock wrx would need to take the redline off the launch to beat it. If you don't launch a wrx you are in the high 14s. A redline has a faster trap speed in the 1/4 then a wrx so if the wrx does not take the redline off the line, it will never catch up if both cars are stock. For the redline to take the wrx off the line and the wrx to still pull a car and a half it probably had at least a turboback exhaust and possibly a cobb stage 2 chip. If the wrx took the redline off the line and held its 1 and a half car lead it could have been stock, but for a wrx to lose from a dig and catch up to a car that traps a few MPH faster in the 1/4 means it had to be modded. My guess was the wrx had at least a turbo back exhaust and possibly a lightweight pulley and an up-pipe, if it had the cobb stage 2 chip i think it would have put a few more cars on the redline but you never know. If it had an aftermarket turbo i think it would have put 5 or so cars on the redline. Thats just my opinion from magazine numbers, i have never been in a redline but im guessing they run lower to mid 14s at around 98mph.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top