·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, i've decided my initial path for modding right now. it is as follows:

torque brace = 120 (already installed)
replace filter = $54 (below list)
water injection = <$300
PSI Upgrade = 700-800 (if it ever comes out)
Headers = ~400
Exhaust ~300-400

i'm hoping for a total under 2000 it'll get over 250whp, hopefully more than that. we'll see. any thoughts?

i'll also be making an icebox to run the intercooler coolant through, but that'll be for track days mainly, so i'm not including it as it's not a "permanent" modification that will affect the car on a daily basis, except for maybe dispersing more heat from the heat exchanger i'll use when no ice is in it.

after that, serious planning will start on my twin screw setup, i've already got plenty of research done, but weddings cost some serious loot, so that's getting put off. plus i'm going to need to get a nice set of winter tires this year, last year was miserable with the stockers, not to mention i want new tires for next spring, total that'll pry be another 12-1500...

and...critisize!

edit: i'm trying to find a local shop to dyno at that i'll be sticking to, with a dynojet so i get higher numbers ;) . and we'll be starting with a stock to new filter comparison. next step water injection kit (will be on order thx to dvldoc). this thread is going to be my documentation if i don't forget about it, so stay tuned. :cool:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That's pretty much what I'm gonna do except that I'm doin' the torque brace now/1st & lowering springs may come 2nd/3rd depending on whether or not someone puts out a suspension kit of sorts. I'd like to have adjustable ride height (not sure if that'll ever be an option) because I have enough trouble with the stock height. I'll probably end up bustin' the facia on a curb/parking block or when pulling out of driveways. In truth, most of these mods will depend on feedback from ppl who've done them 1st. I don't really want to experiment with my only car.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hyperion said:
That's pretty much what I'm gonna do except that I'm doin' the torque brace now/1st & lowering springs may come 2nd/3rd depending on whether or not someone puts out a suspension kit of sorts. I'd like to have adjustable ride height (not sure if that'll ever be an option) because I have enough trouble with the stock height. I'll probably end up bustin' the facia on a curb/parking block or when pulling out of driveways. In truth, most of these mods will depend on feedback from ppl who've done them 1st. I don't really want to experiment with my only car.
torque brace is the mandatory first mod, i still haven't gotten any hop unless on EXTREMELY choppy roads, even then it'll "chirp" over the bumps and not hop all over like it would. forgot to mention i've already got it.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
As far as the suspension goes, has anyone contacted the places that did the suspension work for the GM race teams??? It might be expensive, but shouldn't they at least be able to get the parts to you? I mean, they made coil overs for dozens for Cobalt race cars...

Also, I noticed that some of the parts in the various Cobalt build ups, have part numbers that I posted LONG ago. The XP part numbers, and they match up to the parts that were listed long ago. The intercooler, the springs, etc, etc... there is a BIG list of people that made parts for the cars, but Im not sure how receptive they would be to individuals asking for parts...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i smell some group buys, as i'm sure they'll be more receptive to a larger order as opposed to one or two guys/gals here and there...

i forgot about those part numbers, the intercooler has me wondering...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Vita said:
i smell some group buys, as i'm sure they'll be more receptive to a larger order as opposed to one or two guys/gals here and there...

i forgot about those part numbers, the intercooler has me wondering...
Have you read thrugh the various build ups? I just did today finally...

The intercooler in the GrandAm car has a MUCH larger front heat exchanger. It takes up both the A/C slot and the original intercooler one. The actual intercooler has had the flow re-routed to eliminate pressure bottlenecks...

I dont see the damn part number listed for anything like that though... I should clarify, not every part number I found back in the day matched up, just the name of the parts and the use of the XP designation, whch makes sense as they're XPerimental parts.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not yet, are they in the new handbook?

and i'm wondering if the "cheater" header has anything to do with the XP parts you posted (was there a manifold?)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Sp00ner said:
As far as the suspension goes, has anyone contacted the places that did the suspension work for the GM race teams??? It might be expensive, but shouldn't they at least be able to get the parts to you? I mean, they made coil overs for dozens for Cobalt race cars...
I have been thinking on this subject for a few weeks now. Giving my experience with the 4 link suspension in my Nova drag car, I have been wondering if the drag teams have 2 links that come off of a mount on the front of the frame that attached to each of the lower suspension arms. These would be heim jointed rods that would allow movement of the front suspension in an arc, but limit any forward or backward movement of the axel centerline. As one guy pointed out one day as I was quiclkly moving thru a parking lot, ( ;) ) my front wheel was moving from front of the wheel opening to the rear of the opening in a rapid cycle. He was observing my wheel hop. The tire does not go up & down, but instead it travels back and forth in the wheel well. A solid brace would eliminate this movement. That and the SRT boys have told me that drag slicks get rid of the majority of wheel hop in the FWD. I have also read that the lower the profile of a tire, the more severe the wheel hop due to the inability of the tire's sidewall to flex. Hense the wrinkle wall slick's ability to dissapate the hop. (large profile and soft sidewalls)

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've got a folder at home with all my research in it, but i started by comparing the housings between the lysholm blowers and the eaton blowers (both owned by eaton).

then you have to look at airflow of each of the blowers and calculate a pulley ratio that'll bring you back down to stock airflow, if not lower due to the lower air temps. that's the harder part (airflow vs. intake temps).

my next step is going to buy the "Supercharged" book by Bell (i think, gotta go check it out and use my giftcard to get it), and i think that's going to be key as a "bible" to supercharged modding.

i'm thinking a kit like PSI is going to be the first stepping stone for what i want to do, but i'm not rushing it at all, and am still contemplating a bigger blower, but i'm not sure it'll be nescessary for what i want to do.

lots to do, that's for sure, and i've got plenty of time to do it. for now 250-300 is my goal, then with the twin-screw, i'll be aiming to hunt down C6's...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
What size twin screw were you contemplating? I was looking at the 1200AX. I found the schemantics for the eaton M62 but they have a 6 bolt mount to the intake while ours only has four? Maybe GM had these slightly modified.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
clownhair said:
What size twin screw were you contemplating? I was looking at the 1200AX. I found the schemantics for the eaton M62 but they have a 6 bolt mount to the intake while ours only has four? Maybe GM had these slightly modified.
nothing a mounting bracket won't cure!

i believe that was the model though, with something like 1.2 or 1.3l/rev, which should equate to much more power considering the air temps are lower as well

i'm not sure though, if i'm going to spend the money, i was thinking it might be better to go one up from that though...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Vita said:
nothing a mounting bracket won't cure!

i believe that was the model though, with something like 1.2 or 1.3l/rev, which should equate to much more power considering the air temps are lower as well

i'm not sure though, if i'm going to spend the money, i was thinking it might be better to go one up from that though...
I think the next size up is 1.8l/rev, that seems like alot to me. I was looking into it and I surmis it would cost roughly 3,000 to do it for the head unit, snout and bypass system.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
clownhair said:
I think the next size up is 1.8l/rev, that seems like alot to me. I was looking into it and I surmis it would cost roughly 3,000 to do it for the head unit, snout and bypass system.
but you have to figure it's about twice as much airflow, maybe more considering the highly decreased temps since it'll be spinning so much slower to produce the same airflow, and it'll probably be good for like 600 or more hp...

i'm sure the smaller one would be adequate though, and don't doubt it could produce power close to the 500 mark, which would be good for hunting down C6s all day if you ask me.

i don't think price difference is that much either, it's going to be costly no matter how you look at it, especially since going twin-screw is going to warrant some custom ground cams that'll turn it into a miller cycle engine gaining roughly 15% efficiency over a standard cam setup.

there's a lot of potential for us here, and the fact that a twin screw makes full boost a lot sooner than roots type means it's getting closer to turbo setups, without the lag.

time will tell, i'm sure some company is going to make a conversion anyways, and i hope PSI's kit is going to be able to serve the function of tuning for the swap. i won't be doing this until at least one more summer has passed though, and ideally it'll be a winter project next year (not this coming year) so i've got plenty time to work out what needs to be done.

are you seriously considering it? aside from twin-charging, it's the best option for big power if you ask me

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Vita said:
are you seriously considering it? aside from twin-charging, it's the best option for big power if you ask me
I am very seriously considering it. I have been debating on either going with a straight turbo setup or the twin screw and the twin screw is just going to be easier to do and would suit my needs. I am starting to run a little low on mod money right now though, I just ordered the alky kit and in addition I am getting some headers made up and getting a header back exhaust.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'll have to let you know what i've got when i get a chance, it's all at home.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
torque brace = 120 (already installed)
replace filter = $54 (below list)
water injection = 285
PSI Upgrade = ~600 (if it ever comes out)
Headers = ~420 (The Other Guys)
Exhaust ~300-400 (Custom including resonator, undecided on muffler)

ok, revised plans are above, on top of that, i'm going to make an icebox for the intercooler (after the heat exchanger) and a ram air! i'll be done after that... hopefully we're close to 300whp with the above!

thankfully, all of the above comes to US$1829 using exhaust cost as 350. i'm sure i can bring that down, but i want to overestimate, in case i decide to splurge on a more expensive muffler.

not too shabby. we should know the power estimates on friday night for the PSI kit on a stock car :D !

i'm hoping an easy 250whp, lowballing from their kit alone. add in water injection, that should be good for another easy 20whp ON TOP of the PSI kit, and i'm hoping my new filter and exhaust work (including header) will tip the scales and get up to 300whp. i have a really good feeling that the icebox will put it over, and my ram air will be the icing on the cake for a freeway terror!

so hot, so very very hot. i should be able to whoop up on all the SRT guys around here that don't seem to have much done, not to mention i think i'll be able to make some evo/sti guys feel sorry they paid so much for their cars if i ever find them on the freeway, hopefully show up my guys WRX that he's invested so many dollars into. after this i'm likely done. gotta save for the SKY RL, and any more than 300whp in an open differential FWD car isn't going to be too much fun to drive on a daily basis...

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
i hoping for 300hp as well and i'm real happy i got the the LSD.. it's gunna make driving this a little bit easier.. but i'm not gunna even try to take on any STi's.. i might try a WRX now and again but i might even get burned from them on the drag strip.. not having 4 wheels pushing power sucks... anyway i'm gunna upgrade to 3" exhaust once i get the psi-fi kit but i'm also going to have the exhaust ceramic coated and thermal wraped... that will make a huge difference in preformance

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i've decided that 2.5 is good enough for me, but also want to have the exhaust heat wrapped when i get it done, though i've heard not to do headers like that, so i'm going to look more into it.

with 300 whp, we should be able to take on STI's and EVO's from a roll, but it'll be too much power from a dig. now you start talking modded cars (which i see very little of around here in terms of the big AWD "rally" cars and we might take a hurtin'

it's ok though, i should be able to make mincemeat out of new mustangs from a roll (not to mention old ones)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts