Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after finally getting used to the noises of the blower and the tranny at idle I noticed another this morning. This one kind of bother's me though.

I start up the car and pull it out of the garage this morning (car usually idles about 5 to 10 before I drive it) and after I get out I hear a knock. Sounds like a rod knock or a skirt tapping the cylinder wall. This is new. It quiets down after warming up and I have heard it on other high milage engines in the past but not a motor with only 3500 miles on it.

Anyone else notice this. Like I said I would not be surprised if it had some noise on start up with 60,000 miles on it but not on a motor this new.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
MotorMouth said:
Well, after finally getting used to the noises of the blower and the tranny at idle I noticed another this morning. This one kind of bother's me though.

I start up the car and pull it out of the garage this morning (car usually idles about 5 to 10 before I drive it) and after I get out I hear a knock. Sounds like a rod knock or a skirt tapping the cylinder wall. This is new. It quiets down after warming up and I have heard it on other high milage engines in the past but not a motor with only 3500 miles on it.

Anyone else notice this. Like I said I would not be surprised if it had some noise on start up with 60,000 miles on it but not on a motor this new.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Mine has made a similar sound since I bought it. I thought it sounded like something 'loose', or rattling. Only when it was cold, and only when it was cold outside. Once it warms up, it's gone. These past few days when it's been warm out, it dosen't seem to do it either. Not sure if that's the same thing you're getting...

·
Registered
27 Posts
after i changed the wires around for the intercooler waterpump, i noticed what sounds like a knock sound, like a relay clicking when I pause at a light after its warmed up. But its unpredictable.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
dannostl said:
after i changed the wires around for the intercooler waterpump, i noticed what sounds like a knock sound, like a relay clicking when I pause at a light after its warmed up. But its unpredictable.
The "clicking" may be your exhaust. I know it have been discused on here before. Mine does it all the time once the car warms up.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
if it's a noise from the engine, mine has done that since i had an oil leak from the bad seal, lost 4 quarts...

they claimed there is no noise, and i figured i'd end up without the car before it's a problem. now i worry about it sometimes as i love my car more and more every day.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My first thought was piston slap also. My Z71 did it from day 1 and Chevy said it was "normal" and would not hurt the motor. It went away finally, but when it was cold it was worse. There were whole web sites devoted t getting GM to recall the issue on the big motors. The 5.3 seemed to be the worst.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
If it is the same noise I hear Motormouth, it did sound alot like a piston or rod in an old V8, but it would always go away after a few minutes of running. I poked around under the hood with it cold and running one day, and I came to the conclusion that it was coming from the area of all the pulley on the front of the engine. I kinda assumed it was something that had some play in it when cold, some pulley, or the tensioner or something...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Piston slap was my first thought as well. Just changed the oil and it's full. I had to double check just incase. It sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the engine after putting my chassis ear on it.

I'll just monitor it to see if it gets any worse.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
MotorMouth said:
Piston slap was my first thought as well. Just changed the oil and it's full. I had to double check just incase. It sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the engine after putting my chassis ear on it.
We just got the new "wireless" chassis ear, works sweet!
WOT

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WopOnTour said:
We just got the new "wireless" chassis ear, works sweet!
WOT
Thats frikin cool! I hate stringing those wires all over the place.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
It it coming from the passenger's side? That's where I kept thinking mine was at, passenger's side, somewhere just out of sight...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts