Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO does this mean we could use this to replace our ecus?? I Think the AEM is more expandable but wouldnt this be better than any piggy back, I hate the idea of fighting the stock computer.

Drive by Wire control - MoTeC is the first in the industry to adopt drive by wire throttle control using OE components. Many of the newer models of cars are equipped with electronic throttle control. MoTeC retains all of the standard redundant sensors that the factory uses for safety. In addition to very precise control of the throttle position, throttle by wire also incorporates idle speed control and traction control. MoTeC Drive By Wire is available for certain Bosch, Delphi and Nissan systems using our M800/880 series of Engine Management Systems and we are working on additional Drive By Wire systems on a daily basis. If you are interested, please call to discuss your system's requirements.

http://www.motec.com/products/ecu/control.htm

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Call them and get them interested. You could try sending them an email also. Tell them how restrictive the stock ecu seems to be and that there is nothing on the market that will work. If they put out something like that that would work for our car, it would probably be used by most people modding seriously. Just tell them that nobody has been able to crack the ECU, and see if they would be up to the challange. And also mention that the Cobalt SS's ECU has to be very similar if not the same.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
even though aem is working on it this would be a great alternative, and no offense i like the motec better myself....

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder how hard it would be to put together, wire and then setup to make the car run right out of the box, since it already has the drive by wire setup. I like the AEM because of the base maps and how much controlability they have, but if the motec can be used that would end a lot of headaches for us. I'm going to call them and get the details. I'll keep everyone posted on what I learn.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The MOTEC and AEM are both viable "standalone" alternatives IMO- especially if you combine with their IGN systems. I regularly work on a 12-sec Northstar Fiero that has the full Motec system (forget which model) and it's "rock-solid" and pretty easy to tune.
Just make sure to have your checkbook handy!!

PS> You can forget "base" maps as they can burn you down more often than not.Never trust em. As with any standalone, you just gotta go slow, using a wideband to work the fuel maps and combined with a knock sensor system or EGT to maximize ignition timing.

I've got a Megasquirt MSnS-E working well on my own Ecotec (Quad-Coupe), and it was only $150 but it's not without sacrifices. I'd love to try to make one work with an LSJ next, but there would be more than a few issues to sort out.

WopOnTour

1 - 5 of 5 Posts