Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2002 Saturn Sc2. It currently has the 1.9 DOHC engine. Im looking to get an ION Redline supercharged motor and putting that in. Im familiar with the concept of swapping a motor into another car, but im not sure how to go about it. heres basically the questions i need answered if somebody could help me:

-should i get a transmission w/ the motor?
-wiring harness issues... will it be compatible?
-what will i need as far as electronics? (ecu, things like that)
-where should i look for a motor? i dont want a high mileage one, if i can afford not to have one
-are there any other additional parts other than the motor and/or transmission that i will need?

-im on college kid budget. i need some legit advice. if you have the time to help me its greatly appreciated

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
it'll be cheaper to turbo the SC2 than it would be to swap in a LSJ.

1. yes, unless you don't want the car to move.
2. no, it won't be compatible.
3. you need ecu and then lots of ways to fake it out from all kinds of sensors or a standalone
4. :shrug03:
5. custom mounts and suspension. these things won't just drop in.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
i am very unfamiliar with turboing S-series cars.

however, i am familiar with being a poor college student with only one vehicle. my advice is not to spend money to make your car less reliable.

mod when you can afford to fix.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Go to sixthsphere.com to learn about turboing S-Series...

Actually, I'll save you the trip.

First thing you'll need is a backup car. The S-Series will be on jackstands for a while, and when it is finally complete, it will be unreliable.

There is no turbo kit for the S-Series... things have to be pieced together or custom-made. If you don't have the time or skills to do such things, turboing is out of the question.

You're a college student with not a lot of money, turboing the S-Series is not a good idea because the cost will rise quickly, and if you don't have any idea what you're doing, you'll end up with nothing to show for it at the end.

If you really want to turbo the S-Series, I would take the information I've given you, join sixthsphere and become part of the community there, and READ and READ more (and after that READ it all again). In a few years when you're making decent money and out of school, you'll have the time, money, and knowledge to complete a turbo build.

Just be warned that we're not the friendliest group of people to noobs over there (nothing personal, just a lot of bad experiences).

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
^^^ lol at fendersguitar. SO troooo!

conclusion? hit the books, drive the darn car and hope u get a good job and can buy a ZR1.
in the meantime, thanks for asking

·
Registered
200 Posts
Go to sixthsphere.com to learn about turboing S-Series...

Actually, I'll save you the trip.

First thing you'll need is a backup car. The S-Series will be on jackstands for a while, and when it is finally complete, it will be unreliable.

There is no turbo kit for the S-Series... things have to be pieced together or custom-made. If you don't have the time or skills to do such things, turboing is out of the question.

You're a college student with not a lot of money, turboing the S-Series is not a good idea because the cost will rise quickly, and if you don't have any idea what you're doing, you'll end up with nothing to show for it at the end.

If you really want to turbo the S-Series, I would take the information I've given you, join sixthsphere and become part of the community there, and READ and READ more (and after that READ it all again). In a few years when you're making decent money and out of school, you'll have the time, money, and knowledge to complete a turbo build.

Just be warned that we're not the friendliest group of people to noobs over there (nothing personal, just a lot of bad experiences).
Hey now where not all that BAD. just us old trolls.

I thought i recognized that name lol

What he said is 100% true.

there are 2 reliable turbo cars. they have race built blocks sleeved step decked and custom rods. one of these motors i know for a fact is torn down and rebuilt once a year. unless he breaks which has happend.

that is about as reliable as a turbo s car is.

they will break. trust me.

·
Moderator/Internet Fight Champion
2,332 Posts
You're getting some advice from big gearheads here. I would definitely listen to them. They're not hating on the s-series. A good portion of us started with those before moving to the redline. It's just not a motor meant for huge hp. The blocks we have in the redlines were built pretty stoutly which is why you see some crazy numbers in our performance threads. We have also had several members blow up motors.

As a former college student myself, I know that money gets really tight, it's a huge drag when even a minor breakdown occurs (changing an alternator in a dorm parking lot in January in Minnesota=not fun), and, at most colleges, the fact that you have a car on campus trumps most of the coolness of what that car is. If you're concerned with making it sound mean to show off a bit you can get a header from a 91-92 relatively cheap and I'm sure you can find a hotshot intake or some other chromed intake. Those two combined should give you some growl and they have the added bonus of not really screwing anything up on the engine.

Let's face it, the economy sucks. The chances of it turning completely around before you get out of college are slim at best and prior to contrary belief you generally don't start out with a 150k salary. You're going to appreciate having a reliable vehicle that you don't have to make a payment on or sink a ton of money into. I'm sure it's not the advice you came to hear but I promise it's every bit as valuable.

Ben

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey now where not all that BAD. just us old trolls.

I thought i recognized that name lol

What he said is 100% true.

there are 2 reliable turbo cars. they have race built blocks sleeved step decked and custom rods. one of these motors i know for a fact is torn down and rebuilt once a year. unless he breaks which has happend.

that is about as reliable as a turbo s car is.

they will break. trust me.
Yeah, I always wanted to turbo my turd but after reading on Sixthsphere, and seeing everything Joe (punkboySL2) went through getting parts and stuff (his build took a few years lol), it was buy a Redline which I really wanted, or invest in the SC1. At that point, it wasn't worth it for me to throw money into the S-Series.

·
Registered
200 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts