Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an Autometer shift light (that I got for free BTW) installed in my car a month. It's all hooked up and ready to go but I didn't have the needed "tach adapter" to use with our distributorless ingnition system.

These things sell for about $80 new and that was really taking the fun out of getting it for free. :mad:

Anyhow, I scored a brand new one, in box on ebay last night for $50. The seller is shipping priority mail so I should have it by this weekend. Finally the damn shift light will work. :D

Also, the pill in the light is for 6.2 (6200) RPM. I guess that's close enough to 6450.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Do they make a 6450 one?

·
Registered
391 Posts
i didnt like the msd setup needing the pills and adaptor so i just got a raptor for $75 dollars, it way better and has 8 or 12 LED's cant remember and is half the size. the rpm in pod adjusted and works with our system.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BlackLine said:
i didnt like the msd setup needing the pills and adaptor so i just got a raptor for $75 dollars, it way better and has 8 or 12 LED's cant remember and is half the size. the rpm in pod adjusted and works with our system.
Like I said, mine was free so I'll be out only $50 for the tach adapter to have it fully functioning.

Actually, it fit perfectly in that little cubby hole just left of the steering wheel where most people put their phones so it fits right in and doesn't stick out or look awkward in any way. I'll take pic of it as soon as I get my car back.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Do they make a 6450 one?
I think it's better a little low. That allows for the reaction time between light on and shift. Once you get to know it you will know exactly how long between light and shift to time it.

I would like to see that one raptor one after install and here about how hard it was.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking that a bit lower would be better for that very reason.

I've seen pics of the raptor installed. Heck, I think it was Blackline's car I saw it on. It looks real nice. If I remember correctly he mounted it on the steering column.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I'd like to get a shift light myself, not a whole tach or anything, just the light. A small one even. Which one did you pick up?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sp00ner said:
I'd like to get a shift light myself, not a whole tach or anything, just the light. A small one even. Which one did you pick up?
If you want a small one then that raptor like BlackLine has is probably the way to go. Plus, he says he didn't need a tach adapter with it. If I wouldn't have gotten this one for free, I would have probably gone for that one.

http://www.raptorperformance.com/

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Yeah me too if I were given one for free I would want that one too.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i have not installed mine yet, still waiting for that perfect place to put it and still be visable. im thinking up on the gauge pod in the center.

does anyone know of a good power source to tap into for when the ign. is on?? and one for my boost gauge for when the lights are on?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
BlackLine said:
i have not installed mine yet, still waiting for that perfect place to put it and still be visable. im thinking up on the gauge pod in the center.

does anyone know of a good power source to tap into for when the ign. is on?? and one for my boost gauge for when the lights are on?
The 'aux power' plugs are good switched power, that's where I have my boost gauge light hooked up to right now. I gotta find a better spot, I'm waiting to tear the dash apart looking for a switched light source...

·
the HepKitty
2,127 Posts
I put a autometer shift light in my car and this big dumb clock looking thingie came with it! :mad:

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
LittleMT said:
I put a autometer shift light in my car and this big dumb clock looking thingie came with it! :mad:

Man, maybe you could have gotten the large tach?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts