Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok some of you know what happened...if not search for it....I had a coolant issue.

Got my block back from bates 2 weeks ago, have all the build parts just waiting on my head to be finished and everything will be done.

So ive started putting the bottom end together for now...

Any comments suggestions along the way please throw them at me.....

Just put on the stand

Bedplate off

Rods on the pistons.....do the rods go a certain direction?

Rings Gapped and installed on pistons

Piston oilers installed...forgot to put locktite on them...

New bearings

Bearings installed

Got the crank laid and bedplate put on temp just to make just sure the crank spun free....

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My GF's stepdad has build many a dirt track motors over the years so hes helpng me build it some....We came to the same conclusion, and yes i did/will put the "f" toward the front of the motor.

Oh. And more pics please!
I will be updating as i build it..

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nice, there is nothing sweeter then assembling a spotlessly clean motor. It's nice when you need to wash your hands before you work on your engine.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The rods do have a certain way they go in. If there not put in right you will be pulling the motor again. The rod has 2 different radius' on the big end. Thats why the rod cap has a bit of a bump type thing on one side. That bump has to be facing the rear of the motor when installed.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice, there is nothing sweeter then assembling a spotlessly clean motor. It's nice when you need to wash your hands before you work on your engine.
Most def...hell i cant keep my hands dry with all the oil im putting on it!

The rods do have a certain way they go in. If there not put in right you will be pulling the motor again. The rod has 2 different radius' on the big end. Thats why the rod cap has a bit of a bump type thing on one side. That bump has to be facing the rear of the motor when installed.
rock on...someone on gmsc.net told me that the GM with the circle on it has to be facing the front...the bumps are the opposite direction and that happens to be the way i put the rods on the correct facing pistons....so...thanks...were all good...:)

More pics please. Don't know jack about the engine. Already learning from your pics :)
Ill be adding SEVERAL pics hopefully everyday i work on it...

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So today I got the bedplate back off...locktited the oilers and got the rear main on the crank

then put some of the $20 for 5 oz GM sealant in the ridge thingy and dropped the bedplate back on. Torqued the studcaps to 65ft lbs and the ext bolts to 20.

Hopefully installing pistons tom afternoon...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Noob questions. The 'crank thingy' that the pistons are suppose to be on, do you just drop it in, or does it have to be rotated to a certain 'start' position? Maybe that 'start' position is configured down the line?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Noob questions. The 'crank thingy' that the pistons are suppose to be on, do you just drop it in, or does it have to be rotated to a certain 'start' position? Maybe that 'start' position is configured down the line?
Top dead center is set later on when you start putting the chains on it...but it can still be moved after you set the timing on the chain...

Awesome! Nice to see a build thread that is indeed a real "build" thread!
Preciate it....might get a lil iffy when all the little shit started to go on..lol

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
Harbor Freight/Northern is great if you don't mind Chinese manufactured products. I have bought a lot of tools there, and never had too many problems. If you need a tool only a few times a year, and aren't going to be using it every day, or every week, they are fine. If you are buying a tool that will be used a lot, go ahead and spend the $ on USA made quality.

·
F_ck Bates
5,376 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So since the last update i got the bottom end buttoned up and ready for balance shaft system.

Putting bearings on rods

installed

block cleaned up about to drop pistons in

me oiling them up before wraping the piston w the ring compressor

All in and torqued with a torque angle socket...used new bolts fwiw

next got the oil pan on it..

All sealed with a 5.2oz $20 tube of GM Sealant :D

1 - 20 of 94 Posts