Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my first test drive today. :D

The salesman came along so I had to go easy on the 42 KM engine. Handled the on/off ramps like a trooper and when the supercharger kicked in.......... :D :D :D :D

My only real concern at this point is the cramped drivers compartment. I'm a (big) guy but not in height. :( My right leg had to rest against the center consol/dashboard the entire ride. Is this a common situation or do I just need to hit the gym?

Maybe I'm just used to my somewhat larger Grand Prix. Maybe I just need to play around with the seating position.

I plan on taking the car home this Saturday to test fit the rest of the family. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
i'm about 5'11" and 275 and i fit fine. Not to take it off subject but hit up www.w-body.com to sell your car if u need to.
If your a big guy like me it's never a bad idea to hit the gym!

·
Registered
64 Posts
5'9" 160, so I fit in everything; Still the RL is definitely a compact car. There isnt a ton of headroom or leg room, but there is still a lot more than something like the cooper s or one of the other true coupes.

It's a lot more cramped than my 01 Civic, but also a ton more fun. I'd advise you not to get a car you aren't comfortable driving, but beyond that, go for it! You'll love the car.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
the seat will go back in measurements of Miles and you can raise/lower the seat as well. Plenty o room if you play with it enough.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Canadian GP said:
My only real concern at this point is the cramped drivers compartment. I'm a (big) guy but not in height. :( My right leg had to rest against the center consol/dashboard the entire ride. Is this a common situation or do I just need to hit the gym?
I know that some will argue this, but how long have they actually been behind the wheel of the Red Line? This is one of the more uncomfortable cars that I have driven on long rides. I have the same problem as you, my right leg gets mashed up against the center console. I am 5'-9" and currently in need of a diet. (I'm at 235 up from my regular 205). Any bigger and my ass would not fit in the bottom bolsters properly. I cannot drive with the seat waaay back because I have to have a "certain feel" on the clutch. I don't want to push it with my tip-toes. On my recent Ohio to Florida trip, my leg went to sleep several times and developed a tender spot from riding the console. With all due respect, I've seen goofyguy and he fits the car a whole lot better than us big guys and I can see him not having a problem with it.

On my 30 minute trip to work or farting around town, I don't have any issues at all with the driver fit. But when you start talking the 16 hour drive to FL from Ohio or any 3+ hour drive, that is when the comfort level falls off dramatically. JMHO after actually driving the car for extended 3+ hour trips and the marathon 16 hour non-stop to FL.
John

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
I am 6' 200ish lbs(Last time I weighed myself was 45 mins ago and I was 199.7), I hit the console and I think it is a wonder to drive for hours. It is a very comfortable car and perfect for my size.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone. I have been reading some posts about people having problems with their new Redlines. I am in the process of selling my car and I have been looking at and wanting the redline for about a month now. I want a car that is fun and dependable. I would like to hear from some owners to see what you think. PS I drove one ........it is fun!

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
man I fit the car like it built for me. But my fathers 6'2 250lbs and he has no complaints when I leave him the car so I can borrow his SUV. everytime I get back in the seats waaaaaay back.

The only problem I had with the car was my own fault so far it hasnt let me down yet. To bad I gotta sell er.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I drove an 03 4 door ion last year from ohio to NC. I liked the car but i am 6ft2..195lbs and my leg was cramped on the center console too. I made do but it did kinda bug me. I didnt adjust the seats much tho.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Well if all pans out Im not gonna drive it for a long time after the summer. So tryin to sell it for 19500 with all the stuff still in it. Header, Exhaust, and so on. But yeah it does not fit my future at all anymore.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input guys. I plan on going for another test drive once the roads are dry again, this time for much longer.

·
Registered
425 Posts
too tall.....not

Hey here is my 2 cents worth.
6'5" 220 and I fit fine lots of room. The RL is great for long trips. The seat goes quite a ways down and I have it as far back as it will go. The only thing missing is a spot to put your elbow.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Canadian GP said:

The salesman came along so I had to go easy on the 42 KM engine. Handled the on/off ramps like a trooper and when the supercharger kicked in.......... :D :D :D :D

Maybe I'm just used to my somewhat larger Grand Prix. Maybe I just need to play around with the seating position.

I plan on taking the car home this Saturday to test fit the rest of the family. :)
I'm also a big guy at 6'3, 250 and the knee against the console is annoying but you get used to it. It's all a matter of possition. I also had a Grand Prix and you can't compare the space. I got into some bad lazy seating habbits in that thing. You have enough space to sprawl. I definately noticed my posture getting better in the RL ;-) Not just because of the seats that force you to sit up but I drive much more aggressively and I'm up and allert more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts