Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to own a Focus, so I still hang out with a lot of guys who own them. We all met up at this guys house for a BBQ and a cruise afterward, but it ended up turning into an install-day. Anyway, we are crusing along this paved road between some corn fiends and we line up. He has a 9psi turbo kit, race headers with no cat, exhaust, cams, the works. We launch and he gets the jump on me. He pulls a little bit and then we stay even for about 20 yards. After that it was all over. By 75mph I started pulling slowly, and by 90 I was pulling pretty hard. When we hit the "finnish line" I was going 140mph and had about 6 cars on him. It was a great kill because he was always considered the 2nd fastest Focus in Colorado. Now I need to go after my other friends 13psi Focus with 233whp and 245wtq.

FYI: The car seems suprisingly stable at 140mph.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Speedo at a buck forty!

unknownsuperhero said:
I was really supprised about the 140 stability and total lack of squirlyness, i snapped a pic of the speedo just for reassurance :)
Dude, I have to see that pic! :eek:

-SpikemanRL

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
tstmonkey said:
I would also like to know what turbo kit he's using on his focus?
same here, I have never seen a turbo focus with race headers, that would put the turbo underneath the fricken car. Not to mention how terribly innefecient it would be. I used to own a turbo focus btw.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a modified Aerocharger kit. Very interisting set-up. Here is a pic of his engine bay.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
What's the difference? I'm under the impression that race headers are USUALLY longer, the shortie headers that I'm used to seeing are REAL short, that doesn't look like a shorty to me. I'm used to small block Chevy's though. They make some shortys for those, that are short enough to see the whole header in that pic of the engine bay up there.

·
Registered
291 Posts
unknownsuperhero said:

Ha found a way.
nice pic and it looks like you still have some rpms to spare

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yeah, I kept going and the last I saw it was a little over 140, but while tailgating a SRT-4 at those speeds I couldnt keep snapping pictures. The guy was so funny he kept looking in his rearview, and I just sat there waving.
BTW the thing was still pulling like crazy.

·
Registered
296 Posts
LoungeLizard said:
...FYI: The car seems suprisingly stable at 140mph.
This is what has amazed me, too. I've only been at 130mph or so, but it compares to driving my '97 SW2 at about 60mph in terms of feel, "road-hold," steadiness... it just feels good, and feels like I could cruise all day at that speed without draining my energy.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
clownhair said:
shorty headers then, not race headers.
Shorty headers for the focus come up, then down. They are really curvy. Only race headers go straight down to the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
LoungeLizard said:
Shorty headers for the focus come up, then down. They are really curvy. Only race headers go straight down to the exhaust.
ive seen both, i had race headers on my focus before the turbo. The aerocharger is designed to be used with a shorty header or the stock manifold. It has a weird adapter that connects the manifold to the turbo. A race header seems proposterous to me. Like I said it would place the turbo underneath the car. Not only that but you would lose so much heat that it would make the turbo less effecient.

When I first looked at the pic I thought I saw the collector right beneath the egr tube, but looking again it is not.

So where is the turbo placed then?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts