Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 7745 miles on my Ion RL and my front rotors are shot. Huge lip on both front rotors, doesnt look like they can be resurfaced. Will my dealer take care of this for me. I dont think a car with 7745 miles should have shot rotors. This is bullsh*t, to be honest i've done some racing here and there. Nothing major, just racing from light to light. I have not been to the track and I dont do heavy repeated braking so i'm puzzled on why my rotors are shot?! I've done alot more racing with my other cars and didnt have this problem but on the other hand I did the brake jobs before and used high quality brake parts. I dont know what kind of cheap crap Saturn used for our cars.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I had problems with my steering wheel vibrating while applying the brakes at about 9,000 miles back in Aug of last year. I made mention of it to the dealer and he had no problem resurfacing the rotors (cause for my steering wheel to vibrate during braking). But I will say that it probably depends on the dealer. If you meet with resistance from the Saturn service department then you should escalate it to the Saturn 800 number and let them know what's going on. Fortunately I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area thus I have my pick of about 7 different Saturn dealerships within a reasonable hour's drive. Good luck with your rotors, Oh and the other thing to do is to try your best to get the rotors looked at before you hit 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm assuming this is a 2004 RL, which has been documented to have had rotor issues. The factory is well aware of the problems with excessive rotor wear ue to Saturn's choice of metallic pad. I can only share my experience with my 04. They tried to cut mine and wound up going too deep to clear the wear and wound up warping these puppies. Then the dealer replaced my rotors with new units, but refused to put in new pads. Finally Saturn's TAC advised the dealer to replace the pads (with much softer, less metallic ones) and lightly cut the rotors. This cut down on brake efficiency (took longer to stop), but I had no more rotor problems.

As has been shared before, if you don't get it fixed, make the 800 call and hopefully they'll help you. Good luck :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts