Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is more of an FYI with my experience on with the Pads and tires. I know several people have looked at these tires, but I haven't seen a thread with anyone who has put them on yet. (I may have missed it) So just thought I'd share.

Well I now have over 40k on the car and 20K was in the first year.

So after almost 4 years, I started hearing the warning tab on the front brakes, I bought the Posi-Quiet from Dezod. Great pads, no issues at all, no squeaking. Don't even notice they were changed. I did not have the rotors turned, I don't think they needed it. Didn't touch the backs. Moving on!!!

First tire change from the stock Dunlops. I bought the Goodyear Eagle GS-D3 F1's 235/40/ZR17 off ebay. Paid about $345.00 with shipping and sales tax.

They fit fine on the stock (comp) rims. They had more problem getting the old ones off than putting the new ones on, and in the process they (Sams club tire dept) damaged one of the rims, with a pry mark across the polished lip. So I'm trying to get that taken care of with them.

I'm lowered on the Progress springs and their is no rubbing or other issues. Great tire, enough that even my wife noticed the difference the tires made in traction.

I don't think I'm the first guinea pig on these ebay tires.
But either way, I would recommend them if you need tires, great price on a great tire without any fitment issues.

Of course YMMV.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i almost bought those but chose to ride on some 225/45/17 nitto invos :D hopefully they are nice

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
Good to know bro. Mine are sitting here waiting on some new rims. I'm keeping my winter tires on the stockers.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I also just got Eagle F1 GS-D3's in 225/45/17.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
i was curious as to how a 235/40 looked on stock wheels. can you take pics from different angles and post?? my next set might just be that size :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
First tire change from the stock Dunlops. I bought the Goodyear Eagle F1's 235/40/ZR17 off ebay. Paid about $345.00 with shipping and sales tax.

I don't think I'm the first guinea pig on these ebay tires.
But either way, I would recommend them if you need tires, great price on a great tire without any fitment issues.

Of course YMMV.
Need to include the entire name of the tires...I'm assuming those are the F1 GS-D3's ...great tire but they are being discontinued. I am waiting on shipment of Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. As far as tirerack was conerned they bested the PS2's in the last comparison test and for a much lower price. They are supposedly better in dry traction but slightly worse in wet traction compared to the GS-D3's.. I will let you know in a couple weeks how they feel in the dry. Those tires on ebay are a steal if your fine with a tire manufactured in 2005 ish and no easy to find replacements. Glad you like them, I wanted to buy them a year ago but it wasn't time for replacements yet!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I go through rubber fast enough that I could care less that they're old, lol. I won't get a year out of them, and for the price I can replace a pair if I have to and still be ahead, lol.

Mine are on a truck somewhere, looking forward to getting them...

I sprung for the Hawk HPS pads though. i have much experience with them on other cars, can't wait to put them on this one!

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
i'm also quite happy with my eagle f1 gs-d3's in 225/45/17

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i was curious as to how a 235/40 looked on stock wheels. can you take pics from different angles and post?? my next set might just be that size :)

here are the pics.

Sorry, but it never stops raining here in Charlotte, NC

Attachments

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
that actually looks awesome!! i thought there would be a lot of rubber hanging over the side. a 225/45 looks too balloonish to me. that looks perfect.

i was on tirerack yesterday and they have the 235/40 availible in different brands still. next time i need tires...i'm def looking into this size!!! looks awesome!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the F1 GSD3s also. They are way better than the stock Dunlops as far as traction. The only thing I don't like is that they seem to be wearing a little too quick for me. What are you all running for tire pressure in them?

To the orginal poster, is that a picture of your underhood with the polsihed supercharger? Looks nice

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Pressure will depend on size, driving habits, and alignment. I'm running the 235/40/17's, alignment slightly more aggressive (more camber, about -1.5* front) than stock - soon to be MUCH more aggressive when I get her set up for autocross (over -2* and more toe out) - and I don't drive hard in a straight line much, but I corner like all hell (every turn is practice...). I run 37-38 in front, 34-35 rear. Harder cornering, more pressure to keep them from rolling under. Normal drivers with this size would run 32-34 front and 29-31 rear.

For "normal" street driving and the stock size (215/45) I would recommend 35-36 psi front and 32-33 or so rear. When I ran the 215's, I kept them at 40-41 front, 36-37 rear for hard cornering (larger tires use lower pressures, narrower ones higher).

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are you all running for tire pressure in them?

To the orginal poster, is that a picture of your underhood with the polsihed supercharger? Looks nice

Don't know on tire pressure yet. Whatever they put in when they mounted them. I need to check.

BTW, yes that is my engine.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
i run mine 33/34 psi all around. i'm all street driven (i do 38 psi on a track) and i attack curves too.

unfortunately i have to keep the pressures a little lower because of all the potholes and frost heaves in the area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts