Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I leaving and not more than a half a mile down the road my car started acting up again. I got up to 45 MPH and it wouldnt get above 1000 RPM's and died. I popped the clutch and it started up again but then just died and would not start. FURIOUS I pulled over and tried to crank it for about 2 minutes before it finally started. I immidiately headed to the Saturn dealership when it died again. I got to the dealership and walked towards the Service Manager who saw me coming and literaly ducked behind the desk. Pissed off I said what was happening and they started to write me up a ticket. I told them I am not going into a smelly Hyundai or Kia rent a car, give me something off their lot that is compairable to my RL. Well after a 10 minute bullcrap excuse I said when their 24 hour vehicles come back call me. I got home with no further problems and called Saturn's 800 customer service number and told them this is the fifth time and I am sick of it. Tomorrow the area manager will call me to hopefully rectify this problem. If not I'm taking Jim Lewis' advise and getting a lawyer. I love my car but damn how much more can I take? Is anyone else having trouble after that last ECU update that everyone with my problem has done. That fix only helped for 10 f'n days. Sorry just pissed off. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
man sorry to hear that i hope they can fix it for u and i am glad i am not having any similar problems with mine, yet at least, good luck with getting it fixed

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
that sucks man. I havn't had any of the ECU updates yet but my RL hasn't had any of the problems that you guys are complaining about. Should I get the updates or just be glad I have one that's not messing up?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MrCleanY0 said:
that sucks man. I havn't had any of the ECU updates yet but my RL hasn't had any of the problems that you guys are complaining about. Should I get the updates or just be glad I have one that's not messing up?
just be happy, dont fix something that aint broke!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
yea i think that i might do the same thing just be thankful that i have not had any major problems and forget about getting something that i dont really need as of yet, i mean i am having problems with cold starts and bucking but nothing major so i think i am just gonna forget about it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I feel your pain man. My RL spent 2 weeks in the shop out of the first 5 weeks I owned it and it only had 420 miles on it. :( But, the saving grace for the car is that they seemed to have fixed all of the bugs, I have put nearly 1000 miles on the car with no problems. I was in the same boat as you when I first got it. I was ready to set it on fire and park it in front of the dealer at one point. Give it a bit and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Yours seems to be an isolated incident.

Just let the warranty work for you. I was raising all kinds of hell when I had my tranny saga. Once that prob was fixed, I was back to loving the car in no time.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
SatredL said:
Does any have any problem with their rotors warping, I just had the rears done & now the fronts are doing the same thing.
Mine are fine. I have 10K+ on it too.

I remember some folks having problems with grooves being worn in their rotors with only like 5 or 6K on the cars but this is the first I've heard of warping.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The brakes seem to be made of a semi-metallic vs ceramic based material. Heat up quick and then burn away quicker. I cannot wait untill we see upgraded brake kits.....125mph-55mph isn't fun if your car is wobbling doing it........

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I have no problems with my brakes yet (knocks on wood).

I have done the 125 back down to 55 quite often too.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I apologize to all the guys who've heard this story a hundred times already, but my front rotors are gouged and here's a picture of it.

The backs are smooth.

I'm almost at 10,000 miles and have never had any problems with stopping or "wobbling." The dealer said, "it was normal because all the Red Lines do it."

Attachments

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
This is what they said was wrong with backs ...hot spots. I took one of the mechs for a 90mph ride & they started to thump well they fixed that. Now from 60ish the fronts are doing who knows what causing the steering wheel to wobble. Do they make those dust-free pads for IONs?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm getting a wobble in the steering wheel with frim braking when getting off the highway around 65 mph....gotta have the dealer look at it when i take it in for the ECU upgrade....oh yeah, and my rotors are gouged pretty much exactly like the posted pic.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rip_vw32 said:
The brakes seem to be made of a semi-metallic vs ceramic based material. Heat up quick and then burn away quicker. I cannot wait untill we see upgraded brake kits.....125mph-55mph isn't fun if your car is wobbling doing it........
I've been in contact with Wilwood and Brembo about brake upgrades and they are working with their engineers to build them. On my original problem I talked to an area manager out of Springhill TN for the Florida area and she said that they now have a new new upgrade for the ECU(disc 14 which she said every Saturn service department should have) that should help the problem for good this time, right. She did say that to compensate my troubles that Saturn would either make a payment on my car or something else. That calmed me down quite a bit. Saturn is definitely standing behind me and attempting to help which is awsome. I will make the appointment tomorrow and will update this thread with the progress or lack of.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Having a problem with mine to, 6 times in the shop for the start problem. I'm wait for a Saturn Tech from spring hill to come look at my RL. If he can't fix it I get a new RL. The good old lemon law.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts