Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked with my saturn dealer and they use castrol synthetic and they say that saturn approved this oil for the redline.The redline comes with mobil one and and this dealer has all the saturn dealership's in my area.I dont want to change it myself so would this be just as good as mobil one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blu_Redline said:
I prefer Castrol oil products to all others. I'll be switching on the next change.
Thanks but I went out and bought mobil 1 and they will put that in for me.I only have 1000 miles but I always like to get my oil changed early for the first time .140 mph huh I would like to try but spending the night in jail dont quite thrill me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Chazb said:
Thanks but I went out and bought mobil 1 and they will put that in for me.I only have 1000 miles but I always like to get my oil changed early for the first time .140 mph huh I would like to try but spending the night in jail dont quite thrill me.

I had my dealership change my oil and it says right on the invoice Mobil 1 8 qts. I've always used Mobil 1 in everything I own (not leased)
Spending the night in jail sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
What weight oil does the Ion take? My Vue takes 5W-20 but that's because its a Honda motor. Very tight clearances I guess. I too prefer Castrol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VueRedline said:
What weight oil does the Ion take? My Vue takes 5W-20 but that's because its a Honda motor. Very tight clearances I guess. I too prefer Castrol.
The manual says 5w30.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
dazednconfused75 said:
I had my dealership change my oil and it says right on the invoice Mobil 1 8 qts. I've always used Mobil 1 in everything I own (not leased)
Spending the night in jail sucks.
8 qts. the rediline takes seven right. I hope they didnt overcharge
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
dazednconfused75 said:
I had my dealership change my oil and it says right on the invoice Mobil 1 8 qts. I've always used Mobil 1 in everything I own (not leased)
Spending the night in jail sucks.
dude if they charged you for 8 qts you got ripped off. thats too much. try this change youre oil, put in 6 qts and wait a few minutes then check the dipstick.
the pan does not drain completely nor does the head you can not drain all the oil when you change it,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
John said:
dude if they charged you for 8 qts you got ripped off. thats too much. try this change youre oil, put in 6 qts and wait a few minutes then check the dipstick.
the pan does not drain completely nor does the head you can not drain all the oil when you change it,
I couldn't care less. I made him throw in the oil change thing when I bought it because I heard it was apain in the ass to change and he REALLY wanted to sell me the car...It was all FREE!!! i also got them to do the first oil change at 1800 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
dazednconfused75 said:
Do you let it DRAIN?
yes it is 6 3/4 total volumne but like i said you cant drain all of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,377 Posts
jbaty said:
I change the oil myself and it only takes about 6 1/2 qts and the owners manual says 6 3/4 not 7 3/4 or 8 qts.
good thing....I only bought 8 quarts yesterday (ya know...just to be safe)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
I've always used Mobil 1 and been happy with it. My last dealer didn't carry Mobil 1 so I just bought it and they would charge me for labor and the filter. It actually worked out cheeper that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
What do you folks think of the "Red Line" brand of fluids... I talked with an old buddy yesterday who ran a speed shop and he swears by them... the engine oils, "Water Wetter" for coolant, brake fluid, and so on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Overall I think it's pretty good. The Dexcool that GM uses is good as long as it's contained. If it get out it can cause a lot of damage. My GP had Dexcool and I had a bad water pump that ended up spraying Dexcool all over the engine compartment. If you don't get it fixed right away that stuff will eat away on the belts and gaskets.
Overall the engineering for this car is good including fluids.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top