Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been doing some reading, and have come to one conclusion.

since the m62 is pushing it's limits to make the power it does on the ion redline, they kept the rev limiter low so you don't blow the s/c.

i figure if you slap on a bigger blower with a bigger pulley, you could realisticly up the revs reliably and build much more power

i think that since the blower would be spinning much faster at higher rpm's, they encountered problems and hence the "reliability issues" above the rpm's we're stuck with now.

i figure slap on an eaton m112, keep it under its limits rpm wise, up the limiter on the engine, throw on a good header/exhaust combo, and a nice intake, the redline will be a serious competitor

any thoughts anyone???

what would you need to tune everything besides the limiter? i figure if done right it could just be a matter of swapping the s/c, and having to deal with fuel, aside from that seems like a good way to go to make power and not kill the bank!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like what i'm reading here so far, seems like good logic, wouldnt say cheap horsepower but sounds good, everything i've read says these cars can make much more power than saturn is allowing, but i'm curious if anyone knows what these engines can spin before they come apart, is 7000 rpm possible? what about 7500? if the blower is making power past the redlines current redline settings if you were to under drive the crank by say 10 or 15 % maybe 20% and put a smaller pulley on the supercharger to bring it back up 10% or so with the increase in free hp from less drag on the crank, and maybe a lighter flywheel moving the power up a few hundred rpm will increase the end results right? so if we reset the redline at 7500 and underdrive our accessories to avoid premature failure we would in theory be making the same power with the same strain on things but we would be making more on top because the engine would be free to spin till it starts to fall off....at least this is my theory ;).

J~

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see the problem is the blower is already close enough to the limit, that a smaller pully has killed it (so i've read). so thats why i figure throw a bigger blower not so close to its limit so you can up the rev's without blowing the blower. as it is stock, i believe revving up the engine anywhere above where the limiter sits as it is, the blower will be spinning too fast and become way too inefficient for the limiter to even be raised, but i'll tell you it sure as hell can use some more rpms.

now, this motor has been tested for a lot of power, but does that have anything to do with the rpms? has the power been lower in rpms? these are the things i would like to know, because as it sits now, i beleive this engine could rev out a little further reliably.

·
Registered
5 Posts
well what i was getting at is, by underdriving all the accessories say 20% and then reducing the pulley size so the supercharger is only 10% underdriven compared to the rest of the powered accessories, this would free up the engine alittle, upping the rev limiter would seem to allow peak boost to hit later in the rpm range, now i dont know that it would do much for peak hp output but this engine pulls like mad to the rev limiter, my breif experience behind the wheel saw me hitting the rev limiter without ever feeling the power fall off, crazy stuff, looks like the srt-4s upgrades all allow rev limiter changes up to 7800 rpm, most engines should be able to spin that without a problem least on this level anyway so i guess we will have to wait and see what gm does.

J~

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
never thought of it that way, good concept though

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
now that i think of it though, being that the s/c is close to it's limit, reducing pulley size at all will NOT be a good thing, and will not trust any unless GM comes with some sort of package

1 - 6 of 6 Posts