Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where the hell is the reverse light switch on an 04? My light quit working and I checked grounds etc. but cant find the switch. Car is up on jackstands right now at a friends house

thanks

·
BECAUSE RACECAR
7,440 Posts
As u mean back up lights? Cuz i have an 04 and never seen a reverse light symbol or w/e ur talkin bout, more info unless im on a different topic than you?

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
I have an '04.....don't know anything about a reverse light.
when you shift into reverse, your shifter trips a switch to turn on your reverse lights....

·
BECAUSE RACECAR
7,440 Posts
Well pop the shift boot off and check around in there for some switch or sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here are pictures of where the back up switch is located. From my searches I have also found that you test the switch. ( i used a 9v battery i had lying around and a speaker wire.) one end of the wire to the harness switch the other to the battery, and you should see the reverse lights dimly light up.

·
Registered
667 Posts
picture fail ^

·
Registered
2 Posts
hope this makes it all better.

sorry about the picture fail.. i'm tired of playing with this forum.. Here are the twitpics.

http://twitpic.com/3d5ehz
http://twitpic.com/3d5esl
http://twitpic.com/3d5dvv

to get the piece off the back of the transmission all you need is a socket wrench the replacement piece is about 25 bucks from autozone.. lifetime warranty or 17 bucks for advanced auto parts.

again sorry about the picture fail
:boohoo:

i know i know

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back up light Switch

Ok, so far I searched for my 06 Redline's back up light switch, it sure as heck aint where HUSK3Y's pics show. Anybody else have an idea where it is on a ION REDLINE? That trans appears to not be the MU3 trans that GM only put in the Redlines. Transmission on ION3's and ION2's is differant. Takin' my ride off the jackstands for now. No backup lights :(

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
top rear of trans just behind where if you use your imagination and this is the trans |)= then it would be around where the ) meets the =

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Golden Chicken, took me a bit of WTF to figure out your crtptic answer but I got it. Pretty cool, glad I worked on a lot of rear wheel drive cars in my past, once I realized that the pic you drew was actually a tranny I went duh!! I will take another look tomorrow, today is the day of the jolly fat man. Have a Merry Christmas!
Thank You much,
Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Holy smokes Golden Chicken your answer was on point! I found it and had to show my stepson, this isn't going to be easy but I pretty much figure I'll have to remove the air cleaner plumbing to get to it. Why oh why did GM/SAAB do this. LOL
Merry Christmas,
Tom

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Holy smokes Golden Chicken your answer was on point! I found it and had to show my stepson, this isn't going to be easy but I pretty much figure I'll have to remove the air cleaner plumbing to get to it. Why oh why did GM/SAAB do this. LOL
Merry Christmas,
Tom
If you don't mind, let me know how you were able to get it off because I've had a replacement switch for a while now. I just never got around to swapping it out because I don't have enough clearance to turn the wrench. My guess is a 7/8 deep socket but I'm not sure if the connection par of the sensor will allow the socket to grab.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No Prob Vyperpunk but my guess is it's metric since every other nut and bolt on the car is. But as soon as I get it figured out I'll let u know. I may have a bit of an advantage here since I am an aircraft mech and as such am really really used to wrenching in horrible places. But I will let you know for sure.

Saturn-5-guy, eaten Hondas n Shitten Subarus!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
No Prob Vyperpunk but my guess is it's metric since every other nut and bolt on the car is. But as soon as I get it figured out I'll let u know. I may have a bit of an advantage here since I am an aircraft mech and as such am really really used to wrenching in horrible places. But I will let you know for sure.

Saturn-5-guy, eaten Hondas n Shitten Subarus!
Cool thanks. Just so you don't go crazy with the sizes, it is a 7/8. I checked as soon as I got the replacement sensor.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
sorry for the somewhat unclear answer.

7/8 is 21mm or 22mm, i think. they do make a deep socket with a cutout in the side for any harnesses like O2 sensors, or you can use a crowfoot style socket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried my 7/8 deep well on the new switch and it fits pretty good, according to my chiltons manual care must be taken not to round off the stamped sheet metal bolt on the switch and they suggest using a socket so guess I'll try it with a uni-wiggle (universal joint) and the socket and a long extention to get me above the plumbing that is in the way. That is if I can pry myself away from my new toy, Santa brought me a Wii and Guitar Hero, I think my wife is getting tired of hearing Bohemian Rapsodiy over and over again so it may be sooner than I think.
Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Successful backup light switch change

Standard Disclaimer: no animals were harmed in the process of changing this switch! However some nuckles were banged and some foul language was used.

Hey all, I have now changed the backup light switch on my Redline, It took about an hour and did not require "mad ninja skills" to do so! It is really quite simple, all is required is a 7mm socket for the air cleaner snorkel clamps, a 7/8" deep well socket for the switch, about 15 inches of extention with a univresal joint and a rachet handle.
First disconnect the two ends of the snorkel from the super charger to the air cleaner and shift out of the way. Put the transmission in second gear to get the shifter linkage out of the way of the switch. Remove the connector from the switch and clean dirt from around the transmission housing where the switch is. With the 7/8" deep well socket, a universal joint and about 15" of extention and the ratchet handle remove the old switch. Place the new switch in the hole and thread it in, remember there is sealant on the new switch and it will probably take some medium effort to screw it in but get it all the way down and torque firmly, just be mindfull not to overtorque as the sheet metal nut it is made of wont take much abuse. Now reconnect the plumbing you disconnected at the beginning and volia.... Back up lights!
I have pics so if you want I will e-mail them to you, just contact me here and I'll give you my address.
Tom aka Saturn-V-Guy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.