Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal... I bounced over a curb, plowed through some sagebrush, and relocated a boulder using my radiator. SMH
Visible damage: RF- snapped the control arm, bent the upper and lower tie rods, Knuckle cracked, and possibly sway arm bent
LF- Slight buckle on control arm
Rear end- Cracked where rotors are mounted (Both sides), and rear end support bent/buckled
Cracked radiator (Low Coolant sounds off when key is turned

My question is where and what is the best route to purchase these parts nowadays? I know the RL is a rare breed so which parts are interchangeable between the standard ions and cobalt ss...? I've read quite a few similar situations on here so got a good idea about how to handle it but just curious if any new info is out there/ someone parting out an RL.... Money is tight but tryin to fix her up the best possible... Haha Any and all feedback is welcomed...

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I'd bet the cradle is damaged after a hit like that, would be worth setting on frame rack to see where the damage stops. These things tend to give up rather easily

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the cradle replaceable? I jus hope it's not totaled and everything can be swapped out. How much would a frame rack check cost and is that a dealership related deal?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
yea, your subframe looks to be toast. wow, my buddy just had a very similar experience to this yesterday... but with a cyclist, oncoming traffic and a mailbox or three.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Damage doesn't look as bad as I was thinking, still not good. Inspect around that front trans mount and make sure the trans is not cracked up as well. Frame rack will be needed to get your ass end square again once you make repairs I would guess. Most decent body shops can hook you up. Minimum up front is looking like steering rack, axles spindle struts hubs sway bar and links coolers. If you have insurance I'd make the claim and wash my hands of it. She'll never be the same

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awww.... Dammit man... Is the subframe the same as the cradle?... No insurance so I was hopin to be able to switch out all the bad with new for under a $1,000... RockAuto looks like a good spot to get most if not all parts needed. I'll be sure to get under and check out the trans too...!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
it's going to be an uphill battle to say the least, and definitely not for under 1k.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Unless you can find one at a scrap yard that was rolled or something you might be screwed you have to remember even if you find a donor car with straight parts it prolly needs new stuff as well. I dont see ya gettin it done for 1k that is alot of bad under there.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welp..... Gents and Gents... It is alive and back on the road!!.... $1200 bucks later and only hiccup left is I need a new set of wheels...! Haha Well 2 at a minimum...! Anyone know of any 17's layin around...? I ended up gettin most the parts from LKQ... They're a nationwide recycled/aftermarket parts selling company. Pretty good prices to for OEM certified/used parts....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts