Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get new tires and am short on cash. I would like to get 225/45 16, and i autocross so i want something with a really stiff side wall, but i also need them to be all wheather tires. What do you guys suggest???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
I'm using the Falken Azenis Sport in a 225/45-17 - looks mean as hell, sticks like glue, although I wouldn't try them in snow, for damned sure. I haven't had any hydroplaning problems with them and have driven with them in lots of rain, but haven't hit any puddles at high speeds...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
I'm using the Falken Azenis Sport in a 225/45-17 - looks mean as hell, sticks like glue, although I wouldn't try them in snow, for damned sure. I haven't had any hydroplaning problems with them and have driven with them in lots of rain, but haven't hit any puddles at high speeds...
Those wheels look incredible. Do you have any full shots of your car? I would like to see them. How did you do them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Jim Lewis,
Are the 225's close at all to rubbing anything? I definately want to go wider but have been considering trying to cram 235's on there.. if the stock wheels will hold them well enough... I'm all for bogging it down with extra weight and lengthening the gear for all that grip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,965 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
SWCRedline said:
Jim Lewis,
Are the 225's close at all to rubbing anything? I definately want to go wider but have been considering trying to cram 235's on there.. if the stock wheels will hold them well enough... I'm all for bogging it down with extra weight and lengthening the gear for all that grip.
235s will rub the front strut towers - tried it. Also, 235s will roll over too much, not good for what you're trying to do. Too much tire for the stock wheel, will actually cause wiggle since the tire doesn't sit pretty and straight.

To the gentleman who asked, I had my wheels powder coated - way cool, easy to take care of, looks mean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
Those are what I plan on gettin in about a week or so. How much better is the grip over stock? And I've heard that they put out some road noise, notice any of that?
Grip is incredible, i cannot say over stock, i had blizzaks on. was burning rubber off them, they do stick to the road. Road noise, yes, i can hear it, its not real bad, but some roads you just turn up the radio by 1 and you dont notice it.

Xau
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
SilverRedLine04 said:
what tires will grip ok and still not get me killed in the snow?

keith-
Actually, the Dunlops that came on our cars are a good compromise between wet and dry handling. I'd recommend the Yokohama AVS ES100, Parada Spec-2, or Nitto Neo Gen over the Dunlops just because of cost alone - you'll easily save close to $200 by buying a set of any of those tires instead of the Dunlops.

Also, I've seen bad reviews on the Dunlop FM-901, or I'd recommend them - low cost, seems like a good all-around tire, but evidently chops up quickly, gets noisy as it ages, and loses grip after half life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Falken Ziex 512 are awsome tires for the money, I love them on my GTP, Summer only tires suck if you get snow in your area. I couldn't get up the hill in the snow with my BFG's this winter :mad:

You won't be disappointed in these tires, and they have very low road noise.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Summer only, yes, i get snow, but then i have a set of Blizzaks for the winter...

So best of both worlds. and i wanted Good summer tires for rest of autocross season. I didnt do so good running autocross on the Blizzaks.

Xau
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
235s will rub the front strut towers - tried it. Also, 235s will roll over too much, not good for what you're trying to do. Too much tire for the stock wheel, will actually cause wiggle since the tire doesn't sit pretty and straight.

To the gentleman who asked, I had my wheels powder coated - way cool, easy to take care of, looks mean.
Awsome... I also thought of having that done. Did they have to strip the chrome first and if you dont mind me asking a ballpark on the final cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
Actually, the Dunlops that came on our cars are a good compromise between wet and dry handling. I'd recommend the Yokohama AVS ES100, Parada Spec-2, or Nitto Neo Gen over the Dunlops just because of cost alone - you'll easily save close to $200 by buying a set of any of those tires instead of the Dunlops.
I agree with Jim, I bought the Yokohama AVS ES100 and those damn things to me are better than the stock ones they handle better, cheaper and just all around look like a meaner tire. Their rating is identical to our stock Dunlops but for $550 for four tires, installed and a lifetime replacement for any damage, except normal wear, you cant go wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,327 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top