Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my RL just eclipsed the 35K mark last week and once again it's time for new tires. There is a problem though and I can't seem to remember if it's been a common one for the RL's or not. My car is absolutely eating the inside edge off of the tires I've had on it. I got just under 19K out of the stock Dunlops before I noticed the belts were exposed on the inside edge. I put on some Kumho Ecsta AST's next and a little over 16K later I'm looking at the same scenario. I've kept the tires rotated every 5K, properly inflated, and aligned but I think this is more of a camber issue. So now I find myself looking for a really durable tire. Performance is not an issue as I've given the car to my fiancee to use as a commuter and around town errand runner so I don't need sticky tread and stiff sidewalls. Just something that can handle this cars appetite a bit better as I don't want to keep putting new tires on this car every year and a half. So far I'm leaning in the direction of the Nitto Neo Gens as they say they are made for lowered cars with excessive negative camber.........perhaps they can bandaid my issue for now. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Here is a pic of the stock Dunlops that I posted a while back to show exactly what my car is doing.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are all four of your tires like that?

I noticed the pic you posted if of the rear tire. But is the wear being cause by the rear or is from the front of car?
Sorry, forgot to mention that the wear seems to be coming mainly from the front end but the rear eats them up too. The front does it considerably faster though. All 4 tires are showing excessive wear to the inside edge.

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention that the wear seems to be coming mainly from the front end but the rear eats them up too. The front does it considerably faster though. All 4 tires are showing excessive wear to the inside edge.
I don't think that is normal wear. Where did you have your alignment done? I would take it back there and have them fix the problem before you get new tires.

Or take it somewhere else and have them fix it. If you buy new tires you are going to have the same problem.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think that is normal wear. Where did you have your alignment done? I would take it back there and have them fix the problem before you get new tires.

Or take it somewhere else and have them fix it. If you buy new tires you are going to have the same problem.
I've been doing business with the same alignment and suspension shop for over a decade. All of my vehicles go there and they are regarded as one of the best around my area. They don't just "set the toe and let it go" like some places do. Very reputable.

This is definitely not normal wear. It was one of the first issues I brought up to the dealer when the car was still under warranty. Unfortunately, they chalked it up to aggressive driving.........just like every other issue I've had with this thing. Three different dealerships and I always got the same line from all of them..........which is why GM won't ever get my business again......but that's a whole other can of worms. I do realize that this issue will continue to persist but if I can find a tire of harder compound or that helps to resist this type of wear maybe I can coax a few more miles out of them.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
oh man that looks like my old tires, ended up being my rear axle assembly. Was like a 1k job, that was covered under my carmax waranty.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Has to be a camber and alignment problem.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh man that looks like my old tires, ended up being my rear axle assembly. Was like a 1k job, that was covered under my carmax waranty.
Yep, looks just like my problem and 1K is seriously disappointing. Perhaps it's time to seriously start looking to trade in.

·
OG Factory Freak
17,332 Posts
umm yes? what you mean? Of course you would, but I am talking about in general it was only on my rears
I meant because you said you see it only on the rears...so if you rotated your tires, the front tires would have it too, but it happens when the tires are on the rear. right? sorry for the confusion. lol

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
yes thats what mine was doing. I had gotten new tires and about a month later they looked like the ones in the pics I posted

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
unfortunately for our cars, an alignment IS a toe-and-go.

you MIGHT be able to band-aid the problem better with an adjustable rear strut tie bar, but you first need to find out if it's the front or the rear with excessive camber.

front could be fixed with a camber kit. rear would need more.

agressive driving cannot cause the inside edge of tires to wear faster than the outside. agressive (or wrong) alignment can.

as for your original question about tires, yokohama avid h4's have a very high treadwear rating of 500

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Agree with Golden. That is not normal wear. My Dunlops wore evenly all the way down to not enough rubber to feel safe in the rain anymore. They pulled left consistently, but that did not affect the wear. And my alignment was fine, the pull left as soon as I put my snows on, and came back when I put the lops back on. I like to take the corners also.

I believe you can get a camber kit. That could well be the problem.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for the suggestions. I took the car to America's Tire today and had a set of Goodyear Eagle GT's put on as I've read good things so far about them. I did check out the Avid H4's as well but I haven't used Yokohama tires before so I don't know how much faith to put in their treadwear rating and the Goodyears were a bit lighter on the wallet as they were about $550 out the door.

I'm going to take the car back to my alignment shop and have them go through it thoroughly and see what we can come up with. I've had a love/hate relationship with this little Saturn but everytime I try to trade it in I just can't bring myself to do it. So for now I will resume using the car myself so that I can more closely monitor what's going on. Thanks again guys.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts