Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed new componet speakers for the front doors? I know sets like that come with external crossovers and I was wondering if they will fit inside the door panels. I really wanted to get a new set of front speakers with better clarity and I would like the crossovers for performance, but I don't know if they will fit. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
used kenwoods tweeter in the stock location for the advance system and the crossover double sided into the door

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds much better, right? Those stock speakers could use a little help. What model number crossover did you use? I would rather know the dimensions beforehand that will fit rather than get the whole panel off and find out that it is too big. Were they from a componet set, or did you piece the speakers together yourself? I assume you replaced the door speakers with 6.5's, right?

·
I
7,838 Posts
All i did was put a sub box in the trunk with 2 12" woofers and a kenwood amp. Tuned the stock radio with the Treble all the way up and the Bass about half way. Sounds fine to me, highs hit good and ohhhh i love that Bass. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
All i did was put a sub box in the trunk with 2 12" woofers and a kenwood amp
How did you connect the amp to the stock radio? I used to know this kind of stuff but its been about 10 years since I have messed with it. Any pics?

·
I
7,838 Posts
I took it to one of my buddies that works at an install shop. You CAN hook up an amp to a stock radio, i do it so that they think that is the stock system bumpin. There are two way's you can do it, either by low level inputs on the amp or there is a piece you can buy that hooks up to a set of speaker wire and turns it into RCA jacks. I'll post pics soon.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
its a set the crossover is say 3x3 in inches. Some are bigger some are smaller. And 2 12s in the trunk makes it all better. The rear speakers are disconnected.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
goofyguy said:
its a set the crossover is say 3x3 in inches. Some are bigger some are smaller. And 2 12s in the trunk makes it all better. The rear speakers are disconnected.

Thanks for the info about the crossovers. Did you just plug the 12's into the rear speakers, or did you run a new amp. There is supposed to be an amp on these cars in the trunk, but it looks really small and I wonder how many wats it is. Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
i dont have the factory AMP'd system. I added a amp using a line converter and mounted the whole mess to the box so its pretty. The amp is 50x4 max 22x4 rms I think I saw somewhere. Its mostly just to equalize the load for the front with the tweeters not really to power the speakers better.

·
I
7,838 Posts
Pics

Here are a few pics. RCA line converter was used from the rear speakers. The rear speakers are still hooked up, as well as all other stock components of the audio system. Just spliced into the rear speaker wire, put the RCA converter in, hooked it all up to the amp then ran wires and WAALAAA. :D

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts