Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
32961 - 32980 of 33023 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
3000 pages and no more RLs in New England? What happened? I figured there would be plenty of these. Looking for some know-how in the area. Pretty handy so I've been thinking of upgrading the car to get longer life. I'm at 150k. Maybe I should leave it alone....

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
this place was jumping back when

·
Registered
8,209 Posts
3000 pages and no more RLs in New England? What happened? I figured there would be plenty of these. Looking for some know-how in the area. Pretty handy so I've been thinking of upgrading the car to get longer life. I'm at 150k. Maybe I should leave it alone....
Only one of the original group from here still has his redline in Taunton. There are still redlines in the area, just none of them on here. I still see one or two here and there. They are most likely third or fourth owners that don't know about this site. Try the redline groups on facebook

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fb will do. Been thinking about doing injectors and a pulley stage 2 mod but can't find the kit anymore. Makes me wonder if I can still get it flashed if I did the work.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Stage 2 require premium gas?

What happens if you run regular fuel?

This has been discussed several times on the forum.

But to sum it up they are recommending 91-93

more risk for uncontrolled combustion with lower octane

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Hmm. Not so sure I want to pay the extra...

Any thoughts on 150k mile engine being worthwhile to upgrade?

It's my primary driver.

Are you doing the work or going to a shop?

I think that if you upgrade with new parts it could create problems with the

other 'worn' parts and this could add to the cost as well compared with a 'newer' car .

Even if you have stock, they say you should use the premium because of the supercharger.

On a positive side, remember that this car is tuned for performance and very enjoyable driving

the way it is.

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Stock requires premium gas.

Best case - Lack of power/mileage
Worst case - Kaboom
Stock does not. I should say: I've been putting regular in it since about 2008. Because the Saturn dealership I bought it new from in 2005 said either is fine.

Is there a TSB or some official change in that you can point me to? /:mad:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would likely do the work. Car seems to be in good working order. You bring up a good point. Probably wait until after I'm in a position to have a second car. :laugh:

Are you doing the work or going to a shop?

I think that if you upgrade with new parts it could create problems with the

other 'worn' parts and this could add to the cost as well compared with a 'newer' car .

Even if you have stock, they say you should use the premium because of the supercharger.

On a positive side, remember that this car is tuned for performance and very enjoyable driving

the way it is.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Stock does not. I should say: I've been putting regular in it since about 2008. Because the Saturn dealership I bought it new from in 2005 said either is fine.

Is there a TSB or some official change in that you can point me to? /:mad:
From the manual:

"If your vehicle has the 2.0 Supercharged engine, use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 91 or higher for best performance. You may also use middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle’s acceleration may be slightly reduced. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine."

If you are *absolutely* bone stock, you might get away with 87 due to the horrendous stock tune GM put on these cars, with reduced performance.

If you are properly tuned, or have upped the boost, you're playing with fire.

Why buy a performance car to cheap out on the gas?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bone stock. Except the Pioneer. And the Death -GM Ignition- of death recall last year. The only other GM maintenance was back in 2005-2006 when they replaced the sticking parking brake cylinders and cleaned the sunroof drains.

I suppose they could have upgraded the tune during on of the 2 visits but they didn't tell me and I never noticed any improved performance.

I do recall a drop in performance after switching to regular gas but... $$

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
How do we put pictures in posts? Keeps telling me 410kb max even though I"m uploading smaller files than 410.

there is also the type of file that could change things up..

for what ever reason it use to be easier to post up pics when I started here couple years ago

I actually don't post pics because of the time it takes to do it :frown2:

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Bone stock. Except the Pioneer. And the Death -GM Ignition- of death recall last year. The only other GM maintenance was back in 2005-2006 when they replaced the sticking parking brake cylinders and cleaned the sunroof drains.

I suppose they could have upgraded the tune during on of the 2 visits but they didn't tell me and I never noticed any improved performance.

I do recall a drop in performance after switching to regular gas but... $$

I have the stage 2 and I like to use the 92 or 93

I have never driven the stock ion redline as mine came with the GM stage 2

If I cruise around town, at lights and accelerating a lot, the gas gauge is depressing both physically and mentally, lol

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
I wonder about the tuning at the non Saturn dealer ...

Wonder if they even have the equipment and software for our cars today.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Only a shop with HPTuners or something of like and a GM dealer can update the computer. If your just taking it in for maintaince the only time they will uipdate the computer is if there is a recall that requires it. You would have been notified and the update would not affect what type of gas you can put in the system.

As stated in the manual 87 is fine but you will see less performance if you start doing upgrades where you need more boost and what not you will either have to do 91+ or have your tuner tune for 87.

32961 - 32980 of 33023 Posts