Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

33001 - 33020 of 33023 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh.... BTW Your right side driveshaft seal is leaking. $360

Oh... and BTW, we noticed your clutch "is engaging prettttty high so it's probably on it's last legs." Probably should have that done.

We can do them at the same time and you'll save almost 100% labor. So if you want to do the seal and the clutch, $1590

I'm no super-mechanic, I don't race the car, and couldn't-give-a-shit if the clutch is engaging high or low, as long as it's engaging...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Haven't been in a dealer for anything since maybe 2005-2006. Warranty on the sticky-parking brakes, and the clogged friggin sun-roof drains.

Had my family-friend shop fix the "front-end/suspension ION-raddle" a few years ago... Besides that, I've done all the expendable stuff and maintenance myself and have had no major maintenance issues with this car.

Bought her new a couple hundred miles from the factory on 28JUN2005 and put 150k on it over the years. Hate writing a check for 5-hundo on a friday afternoon but I think I'm ahead on the maintenance bills in the long run.

·
Registered
34 Posts
$30 in fluid
$10 for a fluid pump
30 mins of your time

Up to you.

Manual or auto?

Pretty sure my transmission is going to need servicing due to the seeping right hand axle seal. Worried to have it done because I've never done it and don't want to upset the natural balance of dirty, poorly serviced, and neglected-mechanical devices...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
$30 in fluid
$10 for a fluid pump
30 mins of your time

Up to you.

can't believe that - wow

Probably will let it go for now

good thing that they did not have our manual trans fluid on the shelf

I also looked at the owners manual for maintenance and it says something about

VTi variable transaxle: Add DEX-CVT additive at every 50K

Does this apply to our manuals?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Haven't been in a dealer for anything since maybe 2005-2006. Warranty on the sticky-parking brakes, and the clogged friggin sun-roof drains.

Had my family-friend shop fix the "front-end/suspension ION-raddle" a few years ago... Besides that, I've done all the expendable stuff and maintenance myself and have had no major maintenance issues with this car.

Bought her new a couple hundred miles from the factory on 28JUN2005 and put 150k on it over the years. Hate writing a check for 5-hundo on a friday afternoon but I think I'm ahead on the maintenance bills in the long run.
You've had your redline for all these years...

I thought you just got yours being that you are member as of 2017

·
Registered
34 Posts
Like I said. Pretty good luck with the car. Just started searching the inter webs for tips and found this place recently.

Driving this since '05. 1996 SL-2 before that.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I think this forum has been around since what 2004 ?

Lots of info here

I have read a lot so far and it's been very helpful -

Very much appreciated information

thank you redlineforums -

·
Registered
933 Posts

The F35 is not a CVT transaxle, so no.

GM trans fluid or MT-90.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Oh.... BTW Your right side driveshaft seal is leaking. $360

Oh... and BTW, we noticed your clutch "is engaging prettttty high so it's probably on it's last legs." Probably should have that done.

We can do them at the same time and you'll save almost 100% labor. So if you want to do the seal and the clutch, $1590

I'm no super-mechanic, I don't race the car, and couldn't-give-a-shit if the clutch is engaging high or low, as long as it's engaging...
Wow, your dealer sucks. They want to put their kids through college on your dime.

My clutch swap cost me maybe $750 for GMPP parts, ZZP flywheel, and tools. That and 13 hours of my time. It's not a hard job, just time consuming. The jack shaft seal would be an easy fix while you had it out.

Take a look at my GMPP clutch thread.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I just researched this CVT and found out that they stopped using them in Ions and Vues because

they were only lasting 75K miles

an effort for an economy transmission that, I guess, worked better on paper

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Manual or auto?

Pretty sure my transmission is going to need servicing due to the seeping right hand axle seal. Worried to have it done because I've never done it and don't want to upset the natural balance of dirty, poorly serviced, and neglected-mechanical devices...
If you have an Ion Reline we only came in Manual.

can't believe that - wow

Probably will let it go for now

good thing that they did not have our manual trans fluid on the shelf

VTI variable transaxle is another name for CVT automatics, the Ion Redlines only came with Manuals SO DO NOT PUT THAT IN AN ION REDLINE.

·
OG Factory Freak
17,332 Posts
Hellooooooo out there! - Anyone still frequent these parts?

I haven't been on the facebook in well over a year so I am behind on the latest happenings. Hope everyone is well and maybe see a few of you at a car show. (If you're still into that sort of thing)

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Hellooooooo out there! - Anyone still frequent these parts?

I haven't been on the facebook in well over a year so I am behind on the latest happenings. Hope everyone is well and maybe see a few of you at a car show. (If you're still into that sort of thing)
I still come on here a few times a week. I have a Honda CR-Z now and am saving up to S/C it. I do like to go to care shows but don't get to many of them as I find going by my self is boring.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Holy hell it's been 11 years since I last posted in this thread.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Time flies I guess....

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Wow I don't know how to do this from a phone lol. Man it's been so long since this thread was at it former glory. I'm back in the lsj game. I bought a 06 cobalt for a steal at $1500 and 63,000 miles. Dani and I plan the turn it into a goblin at some point in the next year or two.

33001 - 33020 of 33023 Posts