Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not the 6.0liter, but i raced my friends goat the other night from a 35 mph roll. off the start i immediatly jumped about a half car on him. streched out second gear and by the time i hit third we were even and he just kept going. needless to say by the time we shut them down around 100mph he was about a car ahead.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I think they could have put a bit more thought into the exterior styling of the GTO.

There's nothing that really seperates it from the GA and GP.

I haven't raced one yet but I will as soon as I get the chance. :)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
nice car...

the new gto is a nice car to say the least...to hear that thing just take off regular wants to dream of hearing it race..ive seen more than excpected around my area, one i complimented the guy on, but he was old and didnt want to race. Nice cars...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
JPK said:
I think they could have put a bit more thought into the exterior styling of the GTO.

I test drove a GTO and a Red Line on the same night, back to back and if the dealer didn't try to screw us so bad on our trade-in, there would be a GTO in the garage instead of the Red Line. That's OK, I'm still thinking an 05 in the fall when the rebates come around again and this time there is more HP and little stylin' upgrades. I thought the car was lacking in the looks dept at first, too. The more I see them on the road, the more I like them.

Attached is a wallpaper showing the dealer installed appearance package (black, red, yellow cars only)

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
JPK said:

thats exactly how it was back in the 60's too

I cant believe he only got a car on you, is it an auto?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah it was an auto. But when he stopped, he would have kept going. he was moving at a pretty moderate speed while he kept going. but im saying up to 100, i kept up

·
Registered
196 Posts
I test drove a 04 GTO before I bought my Red Line......it was a really nice car.....had a 6 speed......I love my car and its fast but there nothing like that feeling of turning the key and feeling vibrations from a V8.....I just wasnt ready to pay $600 a month for a car

·
Registered
683 Posts
I was toying with oneo n the freeway yesterday. I passed him and gave him a big shit eating grin, then he kept trying to ditch me, I could see him jerking his head up every other second to see if I was still back there (he tried to run about 6 times up to 120), then we got stuck in traffic and I pulled up beside him, and he wouldn't even look over.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gp/gt

So your saying you kept up with a GTO in your redline .......he only had one car on you by 100......I dunno about that ....your 4 banger 240 HP vs a v8 400 RWHP.....He should have walked you easy .....especially by 100 he should have been gone.

·
Registered
355 Posts
GP/GT said:
So your saying you kept up with a GTO in your redline .......he only had one car on you by 100......I dunno about that ....your 4 banger 240 HP vs a v8 400 RWHP.....He should have walked you easy .....especially by 100 he should have been gone.
Depends on if it was a 04 or 05. The 04's only had 350hp and the 05's have 400hp. And these are both to the crank not wheels.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
GP/GT said:
It's like I told the guys at work, I test drove both the GTO('04) & ION Red Line on the same stretch of interstate and I am a firm believer that the GTO will NOT out run a RED Line. The GTO will always be staring at the little Saturn just a few car lengths behind him. Now the '05s with the 50 extra HP, they might put a little extra stretch on the Satty, but no way will a GTO lose it on a stretch of road. And realistically, I don't think they would ever get to use the extra 14 MPH top end potential they have over the RED LINE. I've gone the 140MPH on a resurfaced Interstate and don't think I'd like doing 158 on the same stretch. I have gone 182MPH in a drag car and dragstrips are built way different and are a much better riding surface at those speeds.

·
Registered
94 Posts
you didn't keep up with a GTO... I own a pretty much bone stock 99 Trans Am... I straight up embarrassed a red line through the 1/8th last SUnday(my 8.80 to his 9.40)... And from a 30 kick, you don't apparently know how strong an LS1 is... Now Im a fan of the Redline/Cobalt SS as the next guy... But I call B.S...

Mines an auto as well...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ls1seatrice/album?.dir=/cf4d

you cna check out my old Camaro as well in the other album... Hopefully in the fall I will have a Cobalt SS(possibly Redline, depends on how much Chevy wants to come down on the Cobalt's price) album as well...

·
Registered
94 Posts
oh and that was in 68 degree weather will me spinning horribly, I've went 8.70s before(will be faster when my Predator Programmer gets here), not bad for a stock car(well minus free air mods and flowmaster exhaust)...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gp/gt

Good to see someon has some sense....there's absolutley no way you kept up with a GTO......you guys even said you were barley beating some GTP's. And we all know a GTP would get RAPED by a GTO.....I call major bs on this one....It's been proven that the GTO can just hang with the new Z06 corvette .....so what you gonna tell me next ...you can't even come close to touching a vette.....so what makes you think you could hang with a GTO????

·
Registered
355 Posts
GP/GT said:
Good to see someon has some sense....there's absolutley no way you kept up with a GTO......you guys even said you were barley beating some GTP's. And we all know a GTP would get RAPED by a GTO.....I call major bs on this one....It's been proven that the GTO can just hang with the new Z06 corvette .....so what you gonna tell me next ...you can't even come close to touching a vette.....so what makes you think you could hang with a GTO????
What a minute here. GTO's are running in the mid 13's. A C6 vette runs in the high 12's and Z06 runs in the very low 12's. So I call BS on you for saying that a GTO hangs with Vettes.

If you don't believe me then you can go to dragtimes.com. They have listings for thousands of people who go to the track and post their time slips.

And as for the FLAMERS, I thought that we got by this. You have know idea what happened during this race. Don't say it can't be done. Anything is possible.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Are you guys really that touchy? Did you not notice that he said it was the older and not the newer GTO, and that he 'hung with it'. Stop thumping your chests. No one said it would outrun it. No one said it was faster. No one said anything like that. All they said is that they would keep up. You all sound like you know what you're talking about. What's a raping in racing? 4 car lengths? 10? So what is that? Less that a hundered feet at most? You people just don't get 'kill' stories. He even said that it would have been worse had it kept going. Gee, lemme guess, you guys either own, want, or know people with GTO's huh? Oh, and BTW, if you think that a GTO will hang with a Vette, you better hit the books, because the only way that's happening is if the Vette is an automatic and the road goes in a straight line with no braking needed. Take the chip off your shoulder, put it back in the glove compartment. You wanna begin a B.S. war, lets do it, my guess is that your closet isn't clean either.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
ThatChevyGuy said:
you didn't keep up with a GTO... I own a pretty much bone stock 99 Trans Am... I straight up embarrassed a red line through the 1/8th last SUnday(my 8.80 to his 9.40)... And from a 30 kick, you don't apparently know how strong an LS1 is... Now Im a fan of the Redline/Cobalt SS as the next guy... But I call B.S...

Mines an auto as well...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ls1seatrice/album?.dir=/cf4d

you cna check out my old Camaro as well in the other album... Hopefully in the fall I will have a Cobalt SS(possibly Redline, depends on how much Chevy wants to come down on the Cobalt's price) album as well...
I'm calling total BS on this one, or you're failing to mention some more details. I have owned 5 F-bodies, currently own a 327 '90 'modifed' RS. I can assure you that if you 'embaressed' a Redline, then he either didn't know how to launch, or something else happened. Are you possibly forgetting to mention that he smoked his tires all the way into second gear? Not to mention that an 1/8 mile track is garbage, all that is telling me is that your RWD and better Diff helps you hook up better. Which it sure as hell should. The original story didn't take place in the staging lanes of a drag strip either did it? Nope it was at a stoplight or something. Oh, and last I checked 'flowmaster exhaust' work on an underrated F-body is worth just a 'couple' of horsepower. On my '77 Vette it's worth almost 50 with the headers. Sorry, not a fan of the 1/4 mile either, I like to drive a car, not just press the gas pedal and shift 3 times. Again, take the chip off the shoulder and put it in the glove box.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
GP/GT said:
1) Not the 400hp, the 350hp.
2) He did, particuarly by 100.

Do you guys actually read what he wrote? Or do you read it the way you want?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts