Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

New Ignition system...

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Raven 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a good ignition system for the RL?

#2 ·
i'm no pro with ignitions, but you'll be wanting something like this, but something tells me that if you have to ask, it may not be the best idea for you to try and swap it out...

#4 ·
i think it's more for going standalone engine management, but like i said, i'm no pro. i figure upgrading the ground wiring in the car would provide more benifit to the average owner than upgrading the stock stuff, as i'm sure it's adequate for quite a while...

#6 ·
NO, not the same. grounding kit basically adds more/upgrades the grounding wires/points on your engine, this is a complete ignition system, which i'm not sure is really necessary for what many of us will end up doing. like i said, i think you'd use this in combination with a full "standalone" computer

#7 ·
An increased ignition is for once you have signifigantly more fuel and air jammed into the cyl. On older cars its a great upgrade. These types of systems tend to be rather configurabe, and have multiple high energy sparks that fire off for a given duration of crank/camshaft rotation. Instead of say one spark around TDC, you get several to make sure there is complete combustion. They also tend to provide numerous outputs to RPM activated triggers depending on the ignition module and kit. For instance, you'd plug your shift light right into it etc, etc, etc. The good ones will handle boost, N20, etc....

#10 ·
Silv04RL said:
we already have a very good coil on plug system, we really dont need to upgrade. on my Lt1 i upgraded to an MSD coil, but that was one coil for all 8 cylinders. what we have is fine.
^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^
Our current 58X trigger and coil-on-plug setup makes some serious kV and is reportedly good to 10,000 RPM. No major ignition upgrades should be neccessary with the exception of "race-only" applications.

So far getting rid of the platinums in favor of a slightly colder more conventional electrode plug is about the only recommeded upgrade for running more boost.
WOT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.