Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up guys i'm new to owning an Ion Redline, just bought it yesterday :). It's a 2006. Anyway Few questions for those who are willing to answer them, any known problems/issues/annoyances with these cars? What is the best bang for your buck performance mod to do?
Any other info on parts, mods, etc would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Sam

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Welcome!

If you are still under warranty, I'd recommend the Stage 2 kit from GM. A K&N intake is alos a good investment. It won't give you a lot of hp numbers, but it makes the whine from the S/C so worth it!

·
Registered
677 Posts
An annoyance that I have had with the car is the stock flexjoint on the exhaust it will blow out, and the intercooler pump will die on ya after like 45k miles, but everything else is great.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome!!! Where at in tacoma you from??

What color you get?

As for mods it all depends on if you are still on your warrenty or not.

Pm me and we can meet in tacoma some time and get some pics of your car!

·
BECAUSE RACECAR
7,440 Posts
Welcome bro, what color u get? Theres 3 owners in federal way/tacoma/puyalup, then 1 snohomish, then me in woodinville.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Welcome!

If you are still under warranty, I'd recommend the Stage 2 kit from GM. A K&N intake is alos a good investment. It won't give you a lot of hp numbers, but it makes the whine from the S/C so worth it!

I'm not under warranty :).. or is it :-(.. either way i bought it with 50K :thinkerg: but it runs pretty good.. Someone was talking about the OTT Stage 1 kit or something. But that it requires some kind of cooling system. Right now I'm not looking to spend too much but in the near future. I also want to blackout the amber side corners like a lot of you guys with black RLs have done (just dont know what to use, i know it must be vinyl but where do i get it from?)

Here are my future mods:

OTT Stage 1 or similar
Meth Injection or similar
CAI
Exhaust and downpipe (don't know which brands to get)
Lowering Springs/Coilovers
18 or 19" Black Wheels
Blacked out Amber Corner Lens and Blacked out Tail-lights
HID kit
Possibly making it wingless
Double Din Navi

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An annoyance that I have had with the car is the stock flexjoint on the exhaust it will blow out, and the intercooler pump will die on ya after like 45k miles, but everything else is great.

this is my first forced induction car... how will i know if the intercooler pump is messed up? same with the flexjoint how will i know.. this car has 50K on it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Welcome!!! Where at in tacoma you from??

What color you get?

As for mods it all depends on if you are still on your warrenty or not.

Pm me and we can meet in tacoma some time and get some pics of your car!
It is Black :) all stock for now.. I'm actually in Steilacoom/Lakewood area..right outside of Tacoma.

Hey I'm looking to sell my stock rims (the gray/gunmetal ones) i'm not sure if they are called comps or what, anyway brand new tires, the wheels are in excellent conditions, how much do these usually go for? I need to buy some 19" wheels because these 17s are just too small. plus i want black ones.

·
BECAUSE RACECAR
7,440 Posts
Sweet black is nice man learn fron the pro. Hahaha

Let me know what u wanna do with ur blackness. And theey are the COMP rims I like them but i already painted my rims black. Deff get the o-t-t-p stage kit and dualpass or h/e after or b4.

I'm kinda in the bellevue area but go to fedway a lot to chill with the other guys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet black is nice man learn fron the pro. Hahaha

Let me know what u wanna do with ur blackness. And theey are the COMP rims I like them but i already painted my rims black. Deff get the o-t-t-p stage kit and dualpass or h/e after or b4.

I'm kinda in the bellevue area but go to fedway a lot to chill with the other guys.
Yeah i thought about painting them black but I want 19" wheels, the 17s are just too small for me.

I need to take it to firestone or something because on the highway it pulls to the left a lot, so i might need to get it aligned.

Also i don't know if you guys have this problem but the brakes suck! I might just be used to cars that brake faster, or maybe specifically the brakes on my car have a problem... anyway just curious if you guys hate the brakes on your car.. I saw some slotted rotors on ebay for cobalt and our cars for less than $300 for all 4, are these not worth it you think?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sweet!!

First off, to black out your corners you have to options, vinyl is one and the other is VHT Nyteshades which is a tinting spray paint. It is what I used and I actually think i have a little left that should be able to do a set of corners if you want use it.

Second, for performance, O.T.T.P is a great way to go and the cooling isn't necessary when getting it but it is recommended that you have some type of extra cooling. Extra cooling is the BEST thing you can do for this engine to be safe and make sure you do not lose any power or hurt your engine.

As for CAI unless you just want the look of the intake, it is not really needed, what most people do and it tends to be the best of both worlds is just but the bottom of the air box open so that you can hear the supercharger. Getting a CAI doesn't give you any power gains what so ever just the noise which can also be accomplished by cutting the airbox open.

For exhaust Clear Image Automotive is a local company and make one of the best, if not THE BEST exhaust for our cars that is out there. I have a full header, downpipe and exhaust system from them and I know brant (lilhomieb07) has pieces from them as well. They are a great company and you can save because you don't really need things shipped because they are right down in kent.

For the flexpipe and intercooler pump there are a couple ways to figure out if they are going bad. For the flex pipe the easiest is just if you notice and exhaust leak is to check for the leak right there which many cases is where the problem is coming from, best way to avoid this is to have an aftermarket downpipe because the flex pipe they use is much sturdier than GM's OEM flex pipe. For the intercooler pump you run the car and fill the heat exchanger and watch to see if it surges and bubbles, if it does you probably want to replace the intercooler pump. Those tend to give out around the 45-50k miles so you might want to check that.

As for you wheels, they are indeed the comp package wheels which a lot of people like, i would search through the for sale section and see what they have been going for you should be able to get a good price on them though.

Only other mod I would reccomend would be O.T.T.P rotated mounts so you don't have to deal with wheel hop any more.

Does your car have the comp package? Do you have fog lights and a steering column boost gauge?

Any other questions don't be afraid to ask, we would be glad to answer them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah i thought about painting them black but I want 19" wheels, the 17s are just too small for me.

I need to take it to firestone or something because on the highway it pulls to the left a lot, so i might need to get it aligned.

Also i don't know if you guys have this problem but the brakes suck! I might just be used to cars that brake faster, or maybe specifically the brakes on my car have a problem... anyway just curious if you guys hate the brakes on your car.. I saw some slotted rotors on ebay for cobalt and our cars for less than $300 for all 4, are these not worth it you think?
Let me find the place I bought my old rotors from there are some places on ebay that sell crap ones but there is one place that people have not had issues on, the rotors i had have been in use for probably a year now and to my knowledge are not having any issues.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet!!

First off, to black out your corners you have to options, vinyl is one and the other is VHT Nyteshades which is a tinting spray paint. It is what I used and I actually think i have a little left that should be able to do a set of corners if you want use it.

Second, for performance, O.T.T.P is a great way to go and the cooling isn't necessary when getting it but it is recommended that you have some type of extra cooling. Extra cooling is the BEST thing you can do for this engine to be safe and make sure you do not lose any power or hurt your engine.

As for CAI unless you just want the look of the intake, it is not really needed, what most people do and it tends to be the best of both worlds is just but the bottom of the air box open so that you can hear the supercharger. Getting a CAI doesn't give you any power gains what so ever just the noise which can also be accomplished by cutting the airbox open.

For exhaust Clear Image Automotive is a local company and make one of the best, if not THE BEST exhaust for our cars that is out there. I have a full header, downpipe and exhaust system from them and I know brant (lilhomieb07) has pieces from them as well. They are a great company and you can save because you don't really need things shipped because they are right down in kent.

For the flexpipe and intercooler pump there are a couple ways to figure out if they are going bad. For the flex pipe the easiest is just if you notice and exhaust leak is to check for the leak right there which many cases is where the problem is coming from, best way to avoid this is to have an aftermarket downpipe because the flex pipe they use is much sturdier than GM's OEM flex pipe. For the intercooler pump you run the car and fill the heat exchanger and watch to see if it surges and bubbles, if it does you probably want to replace the intercooler pump. Those tend to give out around the 45-50k miles so you might want to check that.

As for you wheels, they are indeed the comp package wheels which a lot of people like, i would search through the for sale section and see what they have been going for you should be able to get a good price on them though.

Only other mod I would reccomend would be O.T.T.P rotated mounts so you don't have to deal with wheel hop any more.

Does your car have the comp package? Do you have fog lights and a steering column boost gauge?

Any other questions don't be afraid to ask, we would be glad to answer them.
Hey thanks for your response! When I do pick-up the OTT stage 1 i will probably get the cooling just because like you said i want it to be safe and reliable.
Do you install all the performance stuff yourself or who do you take the car to get this done?
I will check the flexpipe because I think it did go bad just because after I drive it I hear the exhaust leaking a bit. But I am going to get a new exhaust, DP, etc soon (should be the first mod). Or brakes, because my brakes suck! I can barely stop.

Yes my car has the comp package, fog lights, steering column boost gauge, it also has some buttons on the steering wheel that I have no idea what they are for, one has a picture like of a boost gauge, and the others say RES and i forgot what the other says, what is this for?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Can't remember right now what the buttons are for lol. But For the most part all of use put everything on ourselves. Just the other week we did my exhaust intake and meth kit and did brant's heat exchanger.

Tuning is the hardest thing to find right now but I am trying to get in touch with a guy in puyallup that may be a good choice for us.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
R1's are very reliable but you have to get rear rotors too cuz thats only for the fronts.
Have you guys checked out Drift Office(ask for Bob) in Auburn? or Trifecta Performance in Duvall, WA (ask for Vince) or Turbo Technology in Tacoma ... for tuning ?

Yeah I will get the R1 rear too. So if I end up purchasing the R1s, do I have to get aftermarket brake lines too??

·
Registered
275 Posts
Vince, I don't trust, some people call me crazy but I saw a car he tuned that typically dynos anywhere from 260..which is LOW to 290 which is HIGH and the car he tuned put down 245 whp... the other 2 to my knowledge do not have HP Tuners so they cannot tune the cars. The guy I am trying to get to help us out is an LSx tuner and does a lot of v8's and from the v8 crowd his tunes blow the crap out of vinces tunes.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts