Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I'm purchasing a new Redline. I'm also looking at getting new progressive rates for it, but I'm not sure what manufacturer is best. I've driven cars with Eibach pros on them, but are there any better ones out there? I don't want to do coil overs or an SS conversion, and I will be doing track and autocross eventa... so what's the best kind out there?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your purchase!

The only progressive rate spring available for our platform are Powell YYZ's (made by Hyperco). These springs do require a conversion kit as they are made for the Cobalt SS. All other delta platform aftermarket springs out there are softer than stock and will sag over time. All Redline-specific springs are linear in rate.

There are two versions with the second having a smaller diameter spring in the rear to even the rake. Both versions carry a lifetime warranty if you buy directly from John and provide VIN and proof of rust check use.

email is best

[email protected] or [email protected]

If you are not concerned about warranty, then CrateEngineDepot carries inventory

Powell YYZ Spring Pkg YYZSKIT

Hopefully you did your research and picked a comp package RL.

Best of luck!

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
John Powell.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
People make too big of a deal out of the amount of work to do the conversion IMHO. If as long as the star bolts for the clamshell aren't corroded, it's not rocket surgery.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I know this I got the SSC's from ZZP back when they were $129.99 shipped haha. But did not know they made them for the redlines.
I probably should clarify...This is all from memory so you may want to verify....(hey, I rhymed)

Canuck Motorsports and SSC springs are the same design, material, rates, etc. The diameter across the top of the spring is different from Cobalt to RL.

If you ordered SSC springs from ZZP, and did not specifically order the Ion Redline option, you would require conversion to fit.

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info. I've found Tein STECH that are progressive and for the RL without a conversion. I also called Eibach to ask about their rates and they said there weren't any for the RL, but the normal Ion... are the RL and Ion components interchangeable? I'm not sure if they'd be a good idea because the rep said the beginning rates on the Eibach ProKits for the normal Ion are only 63 lbs/in... sounds pretty soft to me?

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
Teins claims to be progressive: my fender liners would beg to differ.

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I've found Tein STECH that are progressive and for the RL without a conversion. I also called Eibach to ask about their rates and they said there weren't any for the RL, but the normal Ion... are the RL and Ion components interchangeable? I'm not sure if they'd be a good idea because the rep said the beginning rates on the Eibach ProKits for the normal Ion are only 63 lbs/in... sounds pretty soft to me?
Cobalt Springs and Components

There are basically two different options for aftermarket springs for this platform, Lowering Springs and Performance Springs.

Lowering Springs include:
Tein
Eibach
SSC
H&R
Progress
B&G
What am I missing?

Performance Springs
Powell YYZ - Cobalt
Stock SS/TC Springs - Cobalt
Pedder - Cobalt

Anything available as a direct fit for the Redline/ION is a lowering spring.

If you want a spring that is made for autocross pick a performance spring in the order listed or stick with your stock RL Springs.

If you want to go low then Teins, Eibach and B&G will get real saggy in the rear. Progress are okay but you won't find any because they don't make them anymore. I am not sure if the verdict is out on the SSC springs yet. They don't seem to sag as much as others but the ride can be tough.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
Ill have a set of ss/tc for sale soon.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Today I'm purchasing a new Redline. I'm also looking at getting new progressive rates for it, but I'm not sure what manufacturer is best. I've driven cars with Eibach pros on them, but are there any better ones out there? I don't want to do coil overs or an SS conversion, and I will be doing track and autocross eventa... so what's the best kind out there?
I'm more interested in where you found a new Redline. Did some GM factory go rogue?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Cobalt Springs and Components

There are basically two different options for aftermarket springs for this platform, Lowering Springs and Performance Springs.

Lowering Springs include:
Tein
Eibach
SSC
H&R
Progress
B&G
What am I missing?

Performance Springs
Powell YYZ - Cobalt
Stock SS/TC Springs - Cobalt
Pedder - Cobalt

Anything available as a direct fit for the Redline/ION is a lowering spring.

If you want a spring that is made for autocross pick a performance spring in the order listed or stick with your stock RL Springs.

If you want to go low then Teins, Eibach and B&G will get real saggy in the rear. Progress are okay but you won't find any because they don't make them anymore. I am not sure if the verdict is out on the SSC springs yet. They don't seem to sag as much as others but the ride can be tough.
I purchased my Pedders a year ago or so, and when I did hunting then I found B&G, H&R, Progress, SSC, and Eibach no longer make springs for the redline. I spoke to the SSC manufacturer and they said they only carry them for the regular Ion and didnt plan to make more for the RL. The regular springs work on the RL but the drop rates will be questionable. Tein you can still get off ebay but I still wonder if those are for the regular ion as well and they just say RL. I have been happy with my pedder and the drop is perfect for me. If I knew the YYZ were so close I might have waited for them though.

GO YYZ and dont look back. The conversion kit is stuff you will want to buy anyway for most part. Stock crap rusts and will need replacing. You will most likely need new dog bones as well. Mine were a year old and were rusted tight. I had to cut them off.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts