Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone, I just thought I would introduce myself as I have (about two months) bought myself a 06 RL and have found this forum to be extremely useful and informative.
A little about myself...
I am 35 yrs old and have a 13 yr old daughter. I have been a computer technician and web design/developer for the the last 8 years at a local PC repair/retail shop (Pc Tech - PC Tech Computer Sales & Service) but last June I took a job at a local Dealership Group (Freedom Ford, Lincoln, Honda - Freedom Auto Group | Ford, Honda, Lincoln Dealers | Serving the Tri-State Area) as their Webmaster/Internet Manager.

A little about the car...
Believe it or not the car was traded in by a 72 yr old lady (I took a picture of her as I didn't think anyone would believe me) and came with all of the service records since she bought it new. The car is in perfect shape with 65K miles on it. Of course she didn't do any mods to it but she did have the factory rear spoiler taken off, but whoever did it did a fairly good job as you have to look very hard with the light just right to see some sanding lines and a very slight dimple where a couple of the bolt holes are.

What I have done so far...
So far all I have done is mainly exhaust work and it is almost done. I got a Magnaflow 14829 Street Performance muffler and deleted the CAT. I read that cutting of the CAT would go a long way in opening up the exhaust, free up some HP, and increase it mileage significantly. All this was VERY true, but another point that turned out to be true was the HUGE increase in sound. I didn't really think it would be THAT LOUD, but I should have listened. So then I got the Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, and while it did help some it is still WAY too loud. I really want to hear my supercharger whine again. So just tonight I have ordered a 100 Cell, 600+ CFM, "MBS Performance Exhaust" Hi-Flow CAT, and a 70-1273 PaceSetter Long-Tube Header which I hope will finish off the exhaust. Other than this, the only other thing I have done is added a K&N Drop-In, despite all the bad K&N reviews out there, I have always seemed to have good luck with them... just don't go crazy with the oil!

My Plans for the car...
Well I plan on doing everything under the sun to it as my payments are nothing $177 a month for 42 months, so I bought it with the intention of pouring money into it on a regular basis. My immediate plans however are to finish the prerequisites for the ZZP Stage 3 with 60lb injectors, 2.8 pulley, and the dual pass intercooler. Going to go ahead and get the Option B kit to have when I install the Stage 3, as well as a ScanGuage II and dual pod pillar to monitor the AIT2 (Oh ya I was thinking about just getting a new IC pump just to be safe). I am going to get the LSJ Phenolic Intake Spacer at same time as the Stage 3. What do you guys reccomend for the second pod that is cheap <=$100. After the Stage 3 is on I plan on getting lowering springs and a set of nice 18" wheels to finish it off. I will probably be getting some drilled and slotted rotors front and back just for the looks some where along the way too as they wont break the bank too bad. For me anyway sub-$400 upgrades are much easier to do... for some reason going over that $400 mark is just much harder to come up with... I am not very good at saving money I guess. Oh ya I believe that my next purchase will be the Hurst Shifter along with the updated linkage from ZZP and the solid bushings. I already bought a new boot with red stitching for it.

Below are few pics of my new baby...

I can't wait to get her all done and advice is welcomed!!!

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Nice car, haven't seen one with that mint of a bay in a long time. Now get those seats shampooed

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you plan on dumping cash into it, save yourself the money in the long run and get 80# injectors. you will hit a wall with the 60's before you know it, and will have to re-buy the 80's. However if you never buy the 60's and start with the 80's they are only like $20 more. better to have too much then not enough...

Oh and do the spacer at the same time as the Dual Pass. you have to remove the I.M. to flip the cores anyway, might as well throw the spacer on while you are in there. trust me, lol.

sounds like you have a good plan. If there is E85 near you its a must, and dont cheap out on springs if you lower it. If your riding on original struts, its worth the upgrade to Fe5 when you replace them in 20k or so....and i would save the lowering springs for when you do the struts.

Also, get a custom HP or Dyno tune if you can over a canned tune.

Finally, always remember more boost does not = more power :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice car, haven't seen one with that mint of a bay in a long time. Now get those seats shampooed
I knew someone would point that out and while they do have a couple spots... I took these photos with my phone in VERY bright sunlight and so I had to up the contrast a HUGE amount in photoshop and play with the levels some to make them not look so washed out and that made the stains much more pronounced in the pictures than in real life. There is only one small stain on the passenger seat that is even noticeable really, and they sent it throughthe detail shop at work before i bought it where they shampooed everything. I may try and hit them again sometime just to see if I can get them any cleaner than they are now.
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you plan on dumping cash into it, save yourself the money in the long run and get 80# injectors. you will hit a wall with the 60's before you know it, and will have to re-buy the 80's. However if you never buy the 60's and start with the 80's they are only like $20 more. better to have too much then not enough...

Oh and do the spacer at the same time as the Dual Pass. you have to remove the I.M. to flip the cores anyway, might as well throw the spacer on while you are in there. trust me, lol.

sounds like you have a good plan. If there is E85 near you its a must, and dont cheap out on springs if you lower it. If your riding on original struts, its worth the upgrade to Fe5 when you replace them in 20k or so....and i would save the lowering springs for when you do the struts.

Also, get a custom HP or Dyno tune if you can over a canned tune.

Finally, always remember more boost does not = more power :)
I am pretty new to some of the terminology and acronyms... so bare with me lol...
Fe5??
I was planning on doing the spacer, Dual Pass, and Option B along with the Stage 3. I agree that while having the SC off, the I.M. is right there, and rather not do that twice.
Unfortunately I live in a pretty rural area (Wise VA 24293) and I dont have any idea where to get a "GOOD" custom tune, and one I could trust. Also nearest E85 is 3 hrs and 39 mins according to Google. That really sucks as I know that E85 is def the way to go. The best I can get is 93 with maybe some MET addin to maybe bring it up to 95.
I thought about the 80# injectors but wouldn't they kill my mileage? I am hoping for as close to 300HP as I can get. I don't really think I will ever want any more than that but I don't think I will ever be happy till I get to at least 285 290 at least. I am hoping that if I give ZZP all the info for the good exhaust flow, the intake spacer, dual pass, and a 2.8 pulley, that they will give me a tune that is a little customised for all of that (I read somewhere that they recommend the stock airbox). What are you thoughts on how to getting to that 300 mark???
I dont really want to spin it over 6500 either and would rather sacrifice a little on the top to get a more broad power band as we have nothing BUT nice curvy roads here and power coming on sooner feels so much better driving imo.
I was thinking about either the Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs or the Tein Lowering Springs for Cobalt SS on ZZPs website. I am assuming that the springs for a Cobalt will work just as well for a RL but I def want to confirm that. The only ones ZZP actually list specifically for the RL are their in-house springs but Im a little wary of them for some reason.
Thank you rochford77 for you advice as it is specifically why I decided to take a few minutes to start this thread!

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
Hi welcome aboard. Nice clean car, looks just like mine...
did about 7-8 years ago lol.

I know it's hard to find good tuners, Ive been looking for someone mid atlantic for a while now. I'm in MD. I'm driving to NY to get tuned soon haha. IMO it's worth the drive to get someone good. Can tunes are done on someone else's car in totally different conditions/environment, so theres either going to be a lot left that a good custom tuner can tap into, or it could be dangerously pushing it too far and knocking.

Fe5 is the last gen lnf turbo cobalt suspension. I did the install with top hat conversion kit along with the aluminum fe5 control arms from powell (qwikredline here, he's got lots of good stuff hehe ;) ) The cobalt shocks are great! I got a good deal on them at www.crateenginedepot.com I got the peddars springs with them, they handle good, but the ride is a little rough on some of the bad roads around here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi welcome aboard. Nice clean car, looks just like mine...
did about 7-8 years ago lol.

I know it's hard to find good tuners, Ive been looking for someone mid atlantic for a while now. I'm in MD. I'm driving to NY to get tuned soon haha. IMO it's worth the drive to get someone good. Can tunes are done on someone else's car in totally different conditions/environment, so theres either going to be a lot left that a good custom tuner can tap into, or it could be dangerously pushing it too far and knocking.

Fe5 is the last gen lnf turbo cobalt suspension. I did the install with top hat conversion kit along with the aluminum fe5 control arms from powell (qwikredline here, he's got lots of good stuff hehe ;) ) The cobalt shocks are great! I got a good deal on them at CrateEngineDepot.com I got the peddars springs with them, they handle good, but the ride is a little rough on some of the bad roads around here.
Thanks for the info!!! I think I may have found someone to do a tune only about 1 hr drive but I am going to do some homework and have some time before I need to worry about that. I am willing to drive 4 hrs to get it done right if needed. Anyone know of of a good tuner in any of these areas...
Kingsport TN, Bristol VA TN, Morristown, TN, Knoxville, TN, Johnson City TN

·
F_ck Bates
5,376 Posts
For your sound issue u can take another vibrant performace muffler I'll get make model number for u if I'd like and place it in tue down pipe where the cat would be. Like mine was when I was tvs. Best sounding supercharged lsj I have heard. Here's a pic. 1385054977601.jpg

F_ck Bates

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For your sound issue u can take another vibrant performace muffler I'll get make model number for u if I'd like and place it in tue down pipe where the cat would be. Like mine was when I was tvs. Best sounding supercharged lsj I have heard. Here's a pic. View attachment 22513

F_ck Bates
The one you have in the pic is the same one I have already installed just before the stock res and right after the 2nd o2 bung. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE the way it sounds now but it is just too loud to get away with in this small town... The cops here are di<ks. I think/hope that the long tube header with the 100 cell CAT should tone it down just enough to no attract attention but still flow very good and have good sound at WOT. I will be sure to update when I have it in, and if its too quite I will get rid of the stock res first and the the Vibrant Ultra Quiet too if I need. I want to just barely be able to hear the SC whine again.
Thanks for the advice, and I bet that did sound good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone know somewhere to get a good custom dyno tune near Morristown TN?
Morristown is only a couple hours away and it seems like I remember reading somewhere on here that there was someone there that could do it and was highly recommended by someone else on here, for the life of me I can't seem to find that thread again or maybe Im just overlooking it somehow.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone know where I can get a Front Chin Spoiler like this one, or what other vehile would be close enough to mad and make work like this guy did???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've heard mustang mach 1 lip
Or Home Depot lip
Hmmm... Well I want one that is taller than the "Home Depot or Universal Stick-on" route.
I looked them up and they are pretty cheap for a Mustang/Mach 1 ($67-70) and the shape looks right but one would think that a Mustang would be wider than an ION but idk, it looks awful close to me!!! THANKS Jeff876!
Can anyone conform that the lip for a Mach 1 will fit with some minor mods???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE!!!
I had the new Pacesetter Long-Tube header and the MBS 100cpsi CAT installed this past Friday. I couldn't be happier with the results. There was a noticeable gain in power, and the sound is PERFECT now. All of the drone is gone and it quietened it down just a small amount. I thought that adding in the CAT would have quietened it down much more than it actually did. It sounds PERFECT now!!! It is still very loud at wot, but idle and normal driving no longer scream "LOOK AT ME!" or "PULL ME OVER!". I has a nice low tone and is still noticeably loud at normal driving, just not annoyingly loud.
My exhaust configuration is like this now...
Pacesetter LongTube header (3") / MBS 100 cell CAT (3") / Vibrant Ultra-Quiet Resonator (2.5") / Stock Resonator (2.5") / Magnaflow Muffler (2.5")
Parts and labor I am just under $700 for the complete exhaust, and I couldn't be happier with the results. There is a noticeable gain in power and MPG... and it just sounds sooooo good now!!! I will try to post a YouTube vid of the exhaust now as I just can't imagine it being any better.
FYI: I still get a CEL for rear o2 with the 100 cell CAT, but I knew this was a possibility. This doesn't bother me at all because I know that I will be addressing this later with the stage 3 kit... Just thought I should put that out there.
I guess the pod and gauges are next on the list and then I will be ready to save my pennies for the Stage 3.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts