Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IN the new sema magazine there is a small but interesting write up about the cobalt and how it was originally suppose to have 272 HP which i didnt knwo and ther is a small picture of one that has 500 HP with mods that will supposidle be available through the GM dealer, and hopefully they will fit and or make them for the RL. Latest i heard is the 2.0 is capable of 700 HP :eek:

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Yea, the Cobalt 272. They claim to have done that with some pretty minimal mods. Not sure how, but that's what I read.

That 700 hp number, from what I've seen, is what the block and crank can handle, but the rods and a few other things aren't going to make it to the full 700hp. It's a stout engine, no question about that, but I would think the 500hp one that you saw is REALLY pushing the limits with all stock internals. I would even thing that would need some internal work to handle 70,000 miles without a rebuild.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am sure that is was pushing it but hey its nice to know that it will handle it i definitly wouldnt push that number without the mods though but hey its more than the SRT-4 will handle without blowing up on the track which i saw in a recent vid with the same HP

·
Registered
20 Posts
redline603 said:
i am sure that is was pushing it but hey its nice to know that it will handle it i definitly wouldnt push that number without the mods though but hey its more than the SRT-4 will handle without blowing up on the track which i saw in a recent vid with the same HP
I don't mean to start a war or anything, but there are quite a few 400+HP SRTs out there that are still running just fine on the stock internals. I don't believe I've seen a 700HP SRT. The most HP I've seen out of one is 542HP from Dynoworks. They claim to have the fastest one out there. I'm not sure if they're running on the stock internals or not. Only time will tell for our cars and yours whether or not they're going to hold up at high HP levels. You can make as many speculations as you want, but only time will tell.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
robbie8302 said:
I don't mean to start a war or anything, but there are quite a few 400+HP SRTs out there that are still running just fine on the stock internals. I don't believe I've seen a 700HP SRT. The most HP I've seen out of one is 542HP from Dynoworks. They claim to have the fastest one out there. I'm not sure if they're running on the stock internals or not. Only time will tell for our cars and yours whether or not they're going to hold up at high HP levels. You can make as many speculations as you want, but only time will tell.
Yea, we have a member here with a 400+ SRT. It's so close to the Evo engine that it should be able to hold somewhere in that area, who knows how long any engine lasts with 200% of the original design output, just depends on how you drive it at that point...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts