Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone make an upgraded shifter for our cars yet? i kept missing 3rd at the track. :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
you suck, buy an automatic. I have no problems at all with the stock shifter. I have never missed 3rd either. Colin on the other hand. He thinks the gears change themselves still. Poor poor colin.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
seriously, third is a breeze.

If you really have problems, just shake to neutral for a second and go streight up.

but when drag racing, you really dont want to waste time, i guess keep practicing. Good luck

keith-

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Man Goofy, filling in for Motormouth now? ;)

B&M makes one, I'll actually answer for ya!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I went to the drag strip today for the first time and I did suck. I missed just about everything you can imagine lol. Live and learn :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Don't feel bad. I don't know what my problem was but I consistantly missed 2nd when I was at the track. 2nd! How do you F-up 2nd?!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Dont worry

I've missed second a couple times too...maybe even more than third ( i dont miss third very much if ever) but i have second. I've developed a bad habit when casual driving to lazily have my hand on the shifter...not good for powershifting.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
A different shifter won't save you. Maybe you're getting stage fright. Calm down, and run it like you own the track, and everyone is in their underwear. Just don't look at them while you're going down the track.

Ed: Keep in mind, it is true that time spent shifting is time not accelerating, BUT, your goal isn't a certain SPEED, it's a certain DISTANCE, so even though you're not accelerating, you are still moving towards your goal at ~40, ~60, and ~90mph, so shifting .10 second faster isn't going to shave .10 second off your time. So, shift hastily, not rapid quick. Firm, but not wild. Some people break stuff, or just mess up when they get wild.

If you were trying to get to a certain speed, like 0-100mph, then yeah, shifting .10 faster will shave prolly .101 off your time. Extra .001 for the speed loss during a shift.

·
Premium Member
12,303 Posts
Well said,

Especially if you are bracket racing and not going straight up. The name of the game is being consistent. Just don't consistently miss a gear. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don't know why i keep missing 3rd..... i never missed 3rd in any of my other cars i've taken to the track. my jetta has 113,000 miles on it and it shifts a hell of a lot smoother than the ion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts